amuck-landowner

Web Devs - How do you host your clients?

Ivan

Verified Provider
Hey,

So I'm just wondering.. how do you web devs host your clients?
Do you host all of them on a personal server, or buy an individual VPS for each client?

rsk

Verified Provider
From what I know (from friends) they usually purchase one small vps, and host their clients there. By time they upgrade it.

If a client requires his own space and needs more resources only then do they move him to an individual VPS to cater their specific needs.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Shared hosting or VPS, depends on the need. Dedicated server for very big / enterprise clients.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I host clients on my own dedicated servers.

They either have their own dedicated server or are on a VPS on the servers I own.

Depends on their needs where they end up.  Big projects and those with security/clearance/similar requirements are dedicated servers.  Everyone else, unless a large web application goes on VPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcaleb

i usually let my clients buy their own shared hosting. i tell them its beneficial for them because they don't have dependency on small-timer like me, and they are worry free if i'm still here in a few months or year.

its also beneficial for me, because i avoid headache of clients bugging me.

this is for simple wordpress web-presence website project

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
  • Let them buy a domain
  • Let them buy a small vps
  • Let them give me the ssh-key
  • Install ruby/node.js & the needed stuff
  • Let them change ssh-key
  • Done
I do that twice a year on private projects.I stopped all that web/php stuff. No time left for that sort of "I need a blog" stuff.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So @wlanboy, what sort of client work is it that you are doing instead of the blog stuff?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
So @wlanboy, what sort of client work is it that you are doing instead of the blog stuff?
Webpages/webapps working with relays/sensors. E.g. controlling a model railway/displaying telemetry of a model aircraft. Or registration/statistic pages for Archery/Curling contests.

Add "wtf" with "math" and I try (do) it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Awesome stuff @wlanboy!  Good to see different type of usage/development.  Hopefully we are entering a time of more hobbyist hardware and hardware interfacing.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
<offtopic>

Hopefully we are entering a time of more hobbyist hardware and hardware interfacing.

With all the cheap hardware (raspberry pi, pogoplug...) the ability to use hardware in a hobbyist environment is much more viable these days.

</offtopic>

rsk

Verified Provider
i usually let my clients buy their own shared hosting. i tell them its beneficial for them because they don't have dependency on small-timer like me, and they are worry free if i'm still here in a few months or year.

its also beneficial for me, because i avoid headache of clients bugging me.

this is for simple wordpress web-presence website project
Or you can place a referral link in an email to them and point them to bluehost/hostgator/etc. you will be able to make some more money on the side. Plus, those companies will not go anywhere anytime soon.

lv-matt

We host all ours on a cPanel dedicated server in the UK.

We tend to charge them a reasonable price, and include the first 3 months free for local businesses.

amuck-landowner