amuck-landowner

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry

host4go

Verified Provider
When you get enough responsibilities in your life , you will feel the pain, some people prefer to have some moderate alcohol to relax. Others just eat, other people prefer to sleep (yeah some work environments allow that).
Sounds like you approve for people to drink in order to "ease up the pain". Maybe it´s time for an intervention ;)

Now seriously, you all taking this too seriously, he had a valid point, but he failed to see the whole context, but you, trying to be the bugger man by having a go at him for being "younger" is not really a manly thing to do, hehe ;)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
To be honest I thought people only went to HostingCon to socially drink network with others in the industry. Get some product swag, see some demonstrations, rub some elbows and drink some beers sort of thing. It's a good social lubricant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillybob

..ok NOP.

Man I'm telling you, is normal for people having beer, wine and such in a working or learning environment. I don' t see how this is so limiting to you. 

When you get enough responsibilities in your life , you will feel the pain, some people prefer to have some moderate alcohol to relax. Others just eat, other people prefer to sleep (yeah some work environments allow that).
I don't resort to alcoholism for pain, I resort to programming / venting on forums. So there will never be an issue with that, alcoholism & smoking is a selfish escape route, just like how suicide is a selfish way out (how many family members will be hurt, etc). The person doesn't think about them do they? The person who drinks alcohol or smokes doesn't think how it's hurting their body?

For example, my grandma has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. DO YOU KNOW how much of a burden she is on our family?  We love HER to death but holy crap, it's freaking painful and AWFUL to see her in the ICU at the hospital because she had ammonia and fluid build up in her lungs with COPD. It was DAMN painful to be in the ICU center and see her oxygen mask pumping oxygen to her. It will bring anyone to tears. How did it happen? She smoked for 70 fucking years that's why, doesn't give a shit about themselves or what they will do to their future grandchildren, or how their own health effects family members emotionally and physically. Same thing with alcohol. 

(An occasional alcoholic drink every now and then is probably fine, but getting drunk every week, etc is my main point).

Hxxx

To be honest I thought people only went to HostingCon to socially drink network with others in the industry. Get some product swag, see some demonstrations, rub some elbows and drink some beers sort of thing. It's a good social lubricant.
^^^ this is the point. You are not going to HostingCon to get a certification or to get a degree LOL , i mean is just a networking event, like the above description ^

Hxxx

I don't resort to alcoholism for pain, I resort to programming / venting on forums. So there will never be an issue with that, alcoholism & smoking is a selfish escape route, just like how suicide is a selfish way out (how many family members will be hurt, etc). The person doesn't think about them do they? The person who drinks alcohol or smokes doesn't think how it's hurting their body?

For example, my grandma has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. DO YOU KNOW how much of a burden she is on our family?  We love HER to death but holy crap, it's freaking painful and AWFUL to see her in the ICU at the hospital because she had ammonia and fluid build up in her lungs with COPD. It was DAMN painful to be in the ICU center and see her oxygen mask pumping oxygen to her. It will bring anyone to tears. How did it happen? She smoked for 70 fucking years that's why, doesn't give a shit about themselves or what they will do to their future grandchildren, or how their own health effects family members emotionally and physically. Same thing with alcohol. 

(An occasional alcohol or drink every ONCE in a while is probably fine, but getting drunk every week, etc is my main point).
Don't go personal, we don't care.

Also don't judge everyone and assume hey if you drink alcohol you have an alcoholism problem , you are a drunk, buddy it doesn't work like that.

Dillybob

...right, so this isn't about professionalism at all then.  Glad we cleared that up.
No it relates perfectly to professionalism.

You don't drink and get 'buzzed' in a professional environment to learn. You fucking take notes, ask questions, sit up straight and be alert.  Ask any professor if they think drinking some 'wine' during their lecture would be okay or NOT go against school policy.

Dillybob

Don't go personal, we don't care.

Also don't judge everyone and assume hey if you drink alcohol you have an alcoholism problem , you are a drunk, buddy it doesn't work like that.
It's not personal it's an anecdote to prove a point that you obviously don't care about. Bet you will be a great grandchild one day :)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
It doesn't relate at all.  You're biased in the wrong direction - rather than blaming smoking for your family problems, you should be blaming your бабушка.  That's like saying guns are the problem, when it's the people pulling the trigger.

Ask any professor, eh?  Cool, I taught a few supplimentary courses at a local Uni after my service was up, most of them off campus.  Not only did I permit reasonable drinking, I had a glass of scotch in my hand the entire time.

If you want to be Steve Urkle, man, go for it.  Don't try to force your ridiculous assumptions on others or judge them for your own misconceptions, though.  That's how Mormons get made.

Dillybob

It doesn't relate at all.  You're biased in the wrong direction - rather than blaming smoking for your family problems, you should be blaming your бабушка.  That's like saying guns are the problem, when it's the people pulling the trigger.

Ask any professor, eh?  Cool, I taught a few supplimentary courses at a local Uni after my service was up, most of them off campus.  Not only did I permit reasonable drinking, I had a glass of scotch in my hand the entire time.

If you want to be Steve Urkle, man, go for it.  Don't try to force your ridiculous assumptions on others or judge them for your own misconceptions, though.  That's how Mormons get made.
No misconceptions here, unless you can prove to me that drinking scotch while teaching is actually beneficial and helped you to teach better which I highly doubt.

Besides that though, you drinking scotch is also 100% irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I made no arguments pertaining to the 'speakers drinking alcohol and then lecturing', I'm talking about the students who sit in the classroom (or a hostingcon convection) and drink alcohol but are there to learn? You don't drink alcohol and learn, it's really that simple. Unless, ofcourse you can link me studies that prove you learn and can retain information better when under the influence.

Also, just because YOU made a policy that said reasonable drinking is okay in your class holds no merit to the argument at hand and doesn't mean it's true. I can make a policy that says no one should eat food in my class because eating food distracts your brain from learning. Sounds ridiculous right? But does it make it true? Hell no.  

But, being under the influence of alcohol objectively AND negatively effects learning that's my point that you and others seem to fail to grasp.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm

"fewer neurons that are able to function correctly, leading to long–term problems in learning and behavior."

"nic and debilitating syndrome characterized by persistent learning and memory problems"

Now, do you want me to find more sources or do you just want to sit back and defend alcoholism and the belief that drinking doesn't effect learning? Because the last time I checked, wine has alcohol in it and when you're sitting down at a convection when the best 'hosting industry speakers' are talking, I'm sure the LAST thing you'd want to do is start drinking alcohol.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Just answer me this, textbook - have you ever had alcohol yourself?  Because it's becoming more and more obvious that all you know is from fourth grade DARE classes.

You seriously think one or two drinks is enough to actually impact the average person?  No amount of quoting will ever prove you right when your own inexperience is so blatant.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
I know you're probably just trying to make people react, but can you please stop using the word "convect" to describe a "convent"? They're different, you know. Didn't you pay attention during your English classes?  :rolleyes:
It can hardly be a mistake on your part as you're using the same word on LET as well. If you genuinely thought it was a "convector" instead of a convent, well..

Dillybob

Just answer me this, textbook - have you ever had alcohol yourself?  Because it's becoming more and more obvious that all you know is from fourth grade DARE classes.

You seriously think one or two drinks is enough to actually impact the average person?  No amount of quoting will ever prove you right when your own inexperience is so blatant.
 You don't need to experience something to know it's wrong. And to answer your question, no and I never will. But as I explained I don't need to drink alcohol to know its effects.

I don't need to hurt a child or inflict pain on someone to know it's wrong.. I don't do it because I have a sense of ethics and moral values.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
If you had ethical and moral values, you'd know that trying to force your INEXPERIENCED opinion on others is.. well, unethical.

Now that we've established you don't actually know what you're talking about, and completely rely on third hand knowledge, we can dismiss this line of discourse completely.  *hattip*

Dillybob

If you had ethical and moral values, you'd know that trying to force your INEXPERIENCED opinion on others is.. well, unethical.

Now that we've established you don't actually know what you're talking about, and completely rely on third hand knowledge, we can dismiss this line of discourse completely.  *hattip*
You should probably re-read my posts above. It's not an inexperienced opinion it's objectively true and you're just butt hurt and have no idea how to handle criticism. I already outlined and sourced a link that proves alcohol negatively effects your learning.

If you want to sugar coat your beliefs and keep on thinking it doesn't, that's fine & dandy, but it's untrue. 

Worse, I can even make the argument now that you were allowing your students to drink in class and how that plays a negative role in their learning.. but I won't even go there, I still like you.

Oh, I forgot: " *hattip* "

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
"Sourced a link" :p  That's great.

Ok, I gave you a chance to walk away while you could.  Let's break alcohol down to it's base function - it's a toxin that inhibits brain activity.

How about those folks with legitimate psych issues?  Severe shyness, can't handle being in public, etc etc.  Medication (which inhibits their brain activity, and can be deadly when overused) can calm them and help them function much better than they normally could.  There was this one nice lass in my evening class who suffered from, excuse my medical jargon, "thinking too fast".  Severe distraction, couldn't concentrate, couldn't learn.  Her medication, which acted as a downer in a very similar fashion to how alcohol works, enabled her to calm down and concentrate.

I GUESS SHE NEVER LEARNED ANYTHING EITHER.  SHE OBVIOUSLY WOULD'VE DONE BETTER WITHOUT THE DRUG - AFTER ALL, YOUR SCIENCE BOOK SAYS SO.

So, because you're slow enough to take the above message literally - yes, consuming excessive amounts of alcohol impairs you.  THAT is without a doubt.  What I, and others, have repeatedly been telling you that 1-4 drinks (depending on the person and their tolerance) can have from absolutely no effect at all (such as me) to helping them relax and focus after a long day.

You, however, are all theory and no execution.  You *think* you know how alcohol works because you're read it in a textbook - and you have absolutely zero first or even second hand experience to back your claims.  You naively believe that having one drink, whether it be a glass of wine, a beer, or a warm butter rum, automatically means you've been inhibited.

You poor, deluded fool.  Adulthood is going to destroy you.  Now, if you don't mind, those of us that don't have our heads stuck up our asses will resume the topic at hand without going full Jehovah.

Never go full Jehovah.

Dillybob

I might agree to an EXTENT, BUT ONLY to an extent that maybe a 'few' drinks might not have any effects on someone but I have not see any studies. From what I know alcohol goes straight into the bloodstream instantly and the effects happen in minutes regardless of the amount.

And the folks with legitimate psych issues need to see a psychiatrist and get some medication, not resort to alcohol EVER under any circumstances. It will just worsen her overtime. Have a good day sir. I'm done for tonight.

And your ad-hom attacks do nothing to me and just make you look foolish :).

Her medication, which acted as a downer in a very similar fashion to how alcohol works, enabled her to calm down and concentrate.
Try some new meds, that's how the world works. A lot better than ultimately becoming an alcoholic in the future or becoming addicted to it.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
From what I know alcohol goes straight into the bloodstream instantly and the effects happen in minutes regardless of the amount.
Uh..no, alcohol, typically a consumable liquid, is processed by your liver.  If you have an IV tap and you're spiking it with alcohol, you would be dead.  Regardless of the amount.

Perhaps instead of reading the hilights, you should read the entire article next time.  You are in dire need of education on how the digestive system functions.

And the folks with legitimate psych issues need to see a psychiatrist and get some medication, not resort to alcohol.
You could not have missed the point of that paragraph any harder.

Dillybob

Uh..no, alcohol, typically a consumable liquid, is processed by your liver.  If you have an IV tap and you're spiking it with alcohol, you would be dead.  Regardless of the amount.

Perhaps instead of reading the hilights, you should read the entire article next time.  You are in dire need of education on how the digestive system functions.

You could not have missed the point of that paragraph any harder.
See my edit.

And you're wrong. Alcohol enters the bloodstream almost instantly and can effect a person within minutes. (Dependent on their tolerance level).

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
And you're wrong. Alcohol enters the bloodstream almost instantly and can effect a person within minutes. (Dependent on their tolerance level).
One serving of alcohol is fully absorbed into the blood stream within 30 minutes to 2 hours after intake. This is because the body can metabolize about 0.25 ounces of alcohol per hour. [source]

Oh damn, it looks like I can source URLs as well.

Have a good day sir. I'm done for tonight.
Very well, I'll leave you with a closing thought for the evening, in the hopes that it inspires you to improve your wisdom rather than worry about your intelligence.

The main problem with WHT are all of the kids thinking that they know everything, with minimal to no experience, trying to feel important.  So, congrats on being part of the problem.

amuck-landowner