amuck-landowner

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry

Dillybob

One serving of alcohol is fully absorbed into the blood stream within 30 minutes to 2 hours after intake. This is because the body can metabolize about 0.25 ounces of alcohol per hour. [source]
Looks like we have some comprehension issues here. I said entering the bloodstream, not being fully absorbed. Two totally different things.  When entering the bloodstream, the effect can start to influence the person. By your logic, you're saying if you drink 23123 shots of liquor you won't feel the effect until 30 minutes or 2 hours after intake? Merely laughable, you should brush up and re-read posts more carefully in the future.

Have a wonderful night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
No, alcohol does not affect a person until it's at the brain.  Barring ridiculously lethal ingestion, of course.

And no, my logic the entire evening has remained constant.  You're the one more bent on a holy crusade.  But like you said, you're done for the evening, remember?  Go back to WHT with all the other summer kids.  We'll be happy to welcome you back once you've matured a bit :p

At this point though, it's pretty obvious that you have to have the last word to feel better about yourself.  So by all means, go for it - say whatever you like for your next reply, and rest easy knowing the better man stepped off the stage so you could embarrass yourself to your heart's content <3

host4go

Verified Provider
I find it amazing all this gangbang on a kid that says he is against drinking alcohol on occations where one should be focused on learning.

Moreover, the kid is right, it´s not an oppinion, it´s a fact based on loads of evidence.

You guys wanna drink and feel you are more of a man for doing so? go for it, but going against a kid that is  against drinking doesn't reflect well on you. 

I couldn't care less about who of you drink, or how much you drink, but stop telling a kid that drinking can be great on learning environments. That´s just plain stupid.

As a sidenote: If a teacher (regardless of institution) in my country encourages (or just allows) his students to drink on his classes he'll be fired and exposed to lawsuits.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I couldn't care less about who of you drink, or how much you drink, but stop telling a kid that drinking can be great on learning environments. That´s just plain stupid.
Oh, it's not great on learning environments.  But, therein lies the crux of the entire issue - he was focused on extremes.  His initial stance was that *any* alcohol was a serious inhibition.  And when those of us old enough to know better offered correction, such as positing that having a beer can relax you, he took that to mean that 1) alcohol helped learning, and that 2) we were denying that getting piss-drunk would inhibit learning.

Only a Sith fool deals in absolutes.  Had he paid more attention to what folks were telling him, rather than assumed the worst, this whole ordeal would have never passed in the first place :p

host4go

Verified Provider
Oh, it's not great on learning environments.  But, therein lies the crux of the entire issue - he was focused on extremes.  His initial stance was that *any* alcohol was a serious inhibition.  And when those of us old enough to know better offered correction, such as positing that having a beer can relax you, he took that to mean that 1) alcohol helped learning, and that 2) we were denying that getting piss-drunk would inhibit learning.

Only a Sith fool deals in absolutes.  Had he paid more attention to what folks were telling him, rather than assumed the worst, this whole ordeal would have never passed in the first place :p

I understand what you mean here, but he´s still not wrong, while it´s true that a beer won't knock you out or prevent you from catching that subject your were interested in, it´s also true that one beer will have an effect on your learning ability, even if small to the point of being negligible. 

If we were to talk about "levels" then we would have to start by acknowledging that each one of us have their own personal limit. I believe he never meant to discuss this ordeal to great detail, nor there is the need to.

This reminds me the alcohol limit for driving, here it´s 0,05mg, it gives you the right to go home walking, a large fine and possibly loose your driving license (if it wasn't your first time being caught), over 1.2mg you go to jail.

The limit of 0.05mg is like 2 beers. no adult that is used to drinking really feels the effect of 2 beers, but studies go that even so it's tampering with your reflexes and so on...

Now I am the one getting into too much details :D

Anyhow, let´s all agree to take it down a notch, let´s have fun, let´s talk about GVH (joking).

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Ah, but if you're going the "to the point of being negligible" route, then it's pure pedantry.  Which has no place in a reasoned discussion in the first place.  But as you said, personal limits are where it gets really interesting.  We end up cycling back to my 'medication' example.

Suppose you're a very nervous, easily distracted type.  You sit in class, try to learn, and have a pretty rough time of it.  Next day, before class, you have a smooth butter rum.  It calms you, helps you focus.  Yes, the alcohol did indeed have an effect - but at this point the effect is not negative.  This is the point the young man needed to grasp, but he was too caught up in pedantics to see it, and automatically assumed that the claim was "excessively drinking alcohol helps you study".

Aye, the topic did need a great deal more extrapolation than either end of the extreme, but sadly that'll always be the case to avoid falling into "Not X so must be Y" pitfall.  Though I must say, I do greatly appreciate the level headed responses you passed back, so thank you for a more rational discussion :p

rupe

while it´s true that a beer won't knock you out or prevent you from catching that subject your were interested in, it´s also true that one beer will have an effect on your learning ability
The same could be said about coffee (cafeine), soda (sugar), and practically any food or beverage. And that effect could be a positive one, it all depends upon the person.

Of course if we're talking about American beer, that's really just coloured water and probably wouldn't have much an effect at all - except for extra washroom visits of course :)

gordonrp

Verified Provider
This thread is a disaster. Shitty threads like this makes it a pain to TRY to participate in forums like this (no offense to the founders), because it only highlights that 90% of people on forums have verbal diarrhea, no business experience, and need to get out more. Or at least that people who post the most actually have the least experience or value to share.

Dillybob whining about sticky thread pricing obviously has no real business experience, no concept of branding power, nor how to calculate ROI over the life of a client.

WHT has sent me over a million bucks in business, with multiple 6 figure clients, if they want to charge $1k per sticky I'll pay it. Why? Because they are massive lead generator.

WHT is a business, they're good at what they do. If you don't like that then go out an do it better.

Dillybob

This thread is a disaster. Shitty threads like this makes it a pain to TRY to participate in forums like this (no offense to the founders), because it only highlights that 90% of people on forums have verbal diarrhea, no business experience, and need to get out more. Or at least that people who post the most actually have the least experience or value to share.

Dillybob whining about sticky thread pricing obviously has no real business experience, no concept of branding power, nor how to calculate ROI over the life of a client.

WHT has sent me over a million bucks in business, with multiple 6 figure clients, if they want to charge $1k per sticky I'll pay it. Why? Because they are massive lead generator.

WHT is a business, they're good at what they do. If you don't like that then go out an do it better.
Haha. Yeah, because your anecdotal evidence sure is proof that your ROI with WHT is such a blessing. What percentage of the provider base that made over a million with WHT do you represent, the 1%? What a silly point you made, it has no weight. 

Just because they're a business doesn't give them a right to hand out corporate titles with no quality background checks on provider's for a flat fee ($1,440 / y).

In fact, they are a business and supposed to withhold corporate citizenship with their community. Maybe you should give this a read since you know ALL about business.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/corporatecitizenship.asp

The extent to which businesses are socially responsible for meeting legal, ethical and economic responsibilities placed on them. The aim is for businesses to create higher standards of living and quality of life in the communities in which they operate, while still preserving profitability for stakeholders.  
I fail to see how this is sustained when handing out free corporate badges for a flat rate fee with no quality insurance checks.

That's like the same logic as the DMV handing out drivers licenses for a flat fee and never have to get our license renewed.... Can you imagine how bad the roads would be? (Even worse than what they are now).  

Aaron

1.a) They are in my opinion, I think a lot, and everyone knows about them and they play a huge influence in hosts reputations,  They own the market for anything web-hosting related, I cannot find a bigger forum. Although, their forum activity has gone down, I still believe the majority of the hosting industry knows about them.
Yes and no.  5 years ago this statement would have been spot on.  Back then I would say an easy 75% of our business came from there but these days?  20% at most.... and it's the only forum I advertise on.

It used to be that all the big boys were there.  Softlayer, The Planet, RackShack back in the day but show me an ad from OVH?  1&1?  None of the big guys are there any more and they seem to be doing just fine.

Aaron

So, with the information I've received, it would seem that gratis Corporate accounts is a reality. That leaves quite a bitter taste.
Ive been around there for a long time and Ive never heard of free anything. (Except a rumor that The Planet was getting free stickies years ago)  If that is, in fact, the case then, yes, I know a lot of people who will be less than happy.

Aaron

The big question for providers, which is unanswered by just looking at the prices on the WHT ad rates sheet, is how the ROI for WHT advertising spending compares to the ROI for alternatives like Google Adwords (which has been decreasing for years for advertisers in every category), Facebook, other industry forums, etc.
We didn't notice an appreciable uptick in sales when we did a sticky.  We tried it twice and sales were the same as with a regular post.  Highlighting and font size increase have some effects on views but they don't seem to translate into any noticable sales boost.  That being said, I like the way they look so I still do them. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This is true.  Your company is more of an infrastructure play and while there are competitors still, lesser so.  

With these successes it is rather like paying to foster key leads so they grow into larger accounts.  So deferred income and it happened a good bit over time (i.e. people didn't buy $100k worth from the sticky directly).  They ended up being that, but not month 1 or probably even 12 (most of them).

This sort of approach takes the financial liquidity to get to the end result and the vision to run sales with actual emphasis on such.  Very much a long long term relationship fostering key leads via an effective sales process.

I applaud the approach and congrats on this working out.  

Those with general issues with WHT ad uptick pricing are downstream small companies without the means to stretch $5 very long and sales are constant need just to continue (often with terrible margins to boot).  For them a sticky is typically impossible ROI.

Ive been around there for a long time and Ive never heard of free anything. (Except a rumor that The Planet was getting free stickies years ago)  If that is, in fact, the case then, yes, I know a lot of people who will be less than happy.
WHT won't say why accounts were free.  But it is wise to assume it wasn't a corporate mandate.  Someone was surely either manually modifying accounts (pay to play) or there was/is a billing related hack/vulnerability that allows for free membership.

Reactions: fm7

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Never understood what the underlying issue was with his view towards WHT. I suspect services were bought from a Corp member that turned out to be not so good. Although there was a point where people like Greenvaluehost along with others figured out how to get a Corp membership without paying for it. They were all subsequently banned when it was discovered.

amuck-landowner