amuck-landowner

What are features you as a client want to see

SeriesN

Verified Provider
It comes off as childish. This is my opinion and you're entitled to disagree with me. I assumed you were a child like Robert Clarke at first, simply because of the name. I've seen worse (the last example), but I still think it's better suited for an Xbox Live clan or something rather than a company I'd trust with my data.

I'm not overly fond of people using word like panther or dragon in a company name. Secure Dragon does it, but I think they pull it off quite well.
Applying that logic, Hostgator is also a bad name just as well as hawk host and so on. Well, Okay then. My current clients love it and I like to think they are all mature and professional.
Your logo looks like it belongs on a cereal box.
Everyone loves cerial.

bbb

Applying that logic, Hostgator is also a bad name just as well as hawk host and so on. Well, Okay then. My current clients love it and I like to think they are all mature and professional.

Everyone loves cerial.
Hostgator isn't great, but it could be worse.

0sivu6j.jpg

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The ToS: Aside from the mis-capitalisations in the AUP, it's mostly fine. I'm not fond of 3,1,4 or 5,4,2,1, although they're both understandable.
Heh, both have solid reasons for being there. Too many people will either stop paying, or be terminated for abuse, and simply try to open a new account to avoid their history. I also see a good deal of people "opening an account for a friend", and there has never been a good justification as to why that would be necessary.

Now, obviously some folks might represent a company, and might want their company to have an account with us separate of their personal stuff. Perfectly reasonable, and we do allow 'business' accounts - they just have to be approved beforehand (typically, the user would get with me, I'll list out the info we need, and get the account created, whitelisted, and ready to go for them).

Rejecting unverified PayPal payments was a bit of a tough decision. We realize how many people dislike giving PayPal their bank/CC/etc.. but at the end of the day, unverified PayPal payments comprised less than 7% of our clients; while conversely, well over 95% of our abusive clients were using unverified PayPal accounts. That policy helped a great deal in thinning out abusers and payment risks (the folks that tried disputes/etc, and then tried opening new accounts anyways).

The PONY thing is an old joke originating from the FMP series. tl;dr - it basically turned into a company meme, fueled in no small part by our own community and IRC. While we do have some various equus-named items (the Stallion panel, etc), it's worth noting that the Pony antics only take place in community settings. We're not sending out Pony-themed invoices to folks :p

The stock thing was a bit of a phenomenon, to be honest. We had another brand before BuyVM (and technically, Frantech is still the 'parent' company), so we had a good bit of experience with what was needed for providing quality service. When BuyVM rolled out officially, we were offering specs, prices, and addons that nobody else had at the time - between that, and our own community participation and dedication to quality, made us unreasonably popular, to the point that we could deploy a full new rack of hardware, average hundreds of sales within half an hour of opening stock, and completely sell out the hardware within days. It became severe enough that people ended up staying up unreasonably late/early just to try and snag a VM, so we implemented stock control (releasing X quantities at specified times throughout the day) to try and help out folks in other timezones. It was honestly at the point where we would be completely sold out for months at a time, and we'd be so busy with support/tuning/etc that we simply wouldn't have time to even plan out hardware expansions.

So aye - it's "worked well" for us, and we're very happy that people enjoy the service.. but I can honestly say that none of us expected or planned for things to play out that way.

I must say though, it is very nice to see such open/unabashed criticism, especially constructive criticism. A simple listing of faults, WHY they're considered faults, all without personal attacks or any real bias other than just calling things as you see it. I tip my hat to you sir, the community (and market) needs much more of that type of open-eye critique.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Somehow this has changed from "features you'd like" to "how to create and maintain a good company image". So to get back to the original point, let me say that I would like to see more providers giving the option of handing out a IPv6 /64*. What's that, SolusVM doesn't support it? Well then get on their case and make them support it. Or do it like Prometeus does it - hand it out separately from SolusVM.

*Yes, I am assuming you support IPv6, like all providers should. If you are on a cheap-o network that has decided that they will never support IPv6, leave. You know who I'm talking about.

bbb

Somehow this has changed from "features you'd like" to "how to create and maintain a good company image". So to get back to the original point, let me say that I would like to see more providers giving the option of handing out a IPv6 /64*. What's that, SolusVM doesn't support it? Well then get on their case and make them support it. Or do it like Prometeus does it - hand it out separately from SolusVM.

*Yes, I am assuming you support IPv6, like all providers should. If you are on a cheap-o network that has decided that they will never support IPv6, leave. You know who I'm talking about.
Agreed about Prometeus's methods. They should probably add a little tutorial to manual network configuration if that's how they're going to keep it, though.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Besides the issue with my name, everything else sounds really useful and gives me an extra room for thinking. Printed and posted next to my workstation.

• Proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. on the site. No fucking typos. No fucking typos.
  • Make sure your site displays properly in all browsers. As much as I love Patrick, this pisses me off.
  • KVM is brilliant, and better than OpenVZ, but make sure that we can install the OS manually over VNC. We like that. Make sure you mention on the site that we can do it.
  • Let us send you links to ISOs so you can make them available to us in SolusVM.
  • Use SolusVM/WHMCS/whatever else is popular. We're used to it. I actually get kind of annoyed when people write their own because it's seldom as good as the aforementioned alternatives.
  • Make sure all of the links on your site work. It's not hard. Check your logs for 404s or whatever.
  • Make sure you have the latest OSs available nice and quick. Some hosts still don't have Debian 7 templates and it's fucking annoying.
  • Also make sure you have minimal templates if you're going to use them.
  • That neat 'Configure Network' button some hosts have in SolusVM is great.
  • Consider rewarding people with a temporary discount or something else if they help you out by reporting bugs, etc. It's annoying typing up a big message after discovering some obscure error just to get a 'lol thx', even if we don't really deserve it (an extra 10% off next month's bill is enough to let us know you appreciate it).
  • For the love of god, spell your company's name the same way on all pages. Not FlipHost on one and Fliphost.net on another.
  • English AUP and ToS. No Google translate. Pay to get it professionally translated or do it yourself. Make sure it makes sense.
  • Make it very, very clear if IRC/VPN/BitTorrent/game servers are/aren't allowed in the AUP.
  • Consider having a 'quick AUP' that's, like, a really simple fucking table or 'simple English' version. Make sure that the client knows it's just a quickie and not a substitute for the actual AUP, but that it gives you a brief overview of what is/isn't allowed. This is a good idea and I think Secure Dragon (or is it SecureDragon?) did it once and I liked it.
  • No WhoisGuard, no all-name-servers-on-the-same-IP.
  • Don't try and beguile me with bullshit buzzwords.
  • Use a custom template. Don't use the same template as every other summer host (I'm looking at you again, FlipHost).
  • Use IRC. Even though everyone just seems to piss about in #lowendbox and #vpsboard, I feel much more comfortable knowing that PatrickINIZ, ispirto, WilliamDotSI, etc. are real people that can be fun to talk to. It's also nice knowing I can /query them if I have a really quick question not worthy of a ticket.
  • Have an IRC channel. Bonus points if it's not on your own network (just use freenode).
  • Actually listen to feedback.
  • Actually listen to feedback and keep to your word. I reported a problem with netelligent's AUP about a year ago and some woman on the support team assured me it would be fixed (and confirmed that it was an actual problem, not just me being an idiot). It never was (they terminate you for hosting IRC servers but don't mention it anywhere). Another example is VPSCorner saying they'd fix the WHOIS issue with their domain -- they never did.
  • If it's possible, offer payments in multiple currencies. Not sure about this one but it's nice.
  • None of that flying-right-in-your-face support 'come chat with us' shit that BalticServers has where it actually connects you to the chat whether you want to or not.
  • It's 'DDoS', not 'DDOS'.
  • I don't know about DNS hosting but it would be nice.
  • If you offer domain registration, make sure we feel safe knowing you won't fuck off and lose our domains when your summer host inevitably fails.
  • No Pony shit (MLP or not). Francisco does it and it's bloody annoying, and one of the offers on this forum has it, too.
  • Actually, no cartoon characters or famous people, full stop. It's dumb.
  • Transparency. No Linode nonsense.
  • Make sure there are no random rDNS records for IPs you hand out. With VPSCorner I once ended up with an IPv4 address with an rDNS record for some kind of SMTP service, and the IPv6 address had something else dumb, too.
  • Try not to end up on Hack Forums.
  • Have a Twitter. Status updates are great.
  • Prizes and competitions aren't necessary but are a fun way to attract attention to yourselves and make sure that people look at you twice. I think it's nice that LoveVPS is doing one. It's just a yearly KVM -- won't cost them much -- but it still makes them look good.
This list isn't so much about features as it is about common mistakes. Probably got more to say but I'm lazy as fug.
Edit: Regarding the WHMCS bit, kro[au]'s panel/billing system is great. I helped test it and he actually listened to feedback. Take note!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

I think it comes down to Solus will have a pain in the butt of a time getting that in place due their client base. Are /48's handed out that much by providers? I assumed most providers were just doing a /64 each and if you have a ton of boxes they MIGHT break you off a piece of that kitkat bar allocate you a /48. I'm fairly sure I heard that WSI/Datashack will allocate you a /48 to a rack or something but not per node.

Francisco

staticsafe

I think it comes down to Solus will have a pain in the butt of a time getting that in place due their client base. Are /48's handed out that much by providers? I assumed most providers were just doing a /64 each and if you have a ton of boxes they MIGHT break you off a piece of that kitkat bar allocate you a /48. I'm fairly sure I heard that WSI/Datashack will allocate you a /48 to a rack or something but not per node.

Francisco
Linode will give you up to a /56 on request, I really doubt any VPS provider is giving anything higher than that.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Linode will give you up to a /56 on request, I really doubt any VPS provider is giving anything higher than that.
Wow!

But it's still bound to a single location which is what Solus would have an issue with. I'm not saying it would be impossible for them to support it, it's likely just a pain in a butt feature that a very very small part of their client base can make use of.

Francisco

Francisco

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
OK, well if a /64 is unreasonable, I at least wish SolusVM didn't hand out completely random IPv6 addresses. Why not consecutive, or in the same /112? Oh wait, now I'm changing the subject again. Let's put it this way then: is there any way for providers to hand out IPv6 addresses like that instead of randomly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
OK, well if a /64 is unreasonable, I at least wish SolusVM didn't hand out completely random IPv6 addresses. Why not consecutive, or in the same /112? Oh wait, now I'm changing the subject again. Let's put it this way then: is there any way for providers to hand out IPv6 addresses like that instead of randomly?
What I ended up doing for quite some time until Fran finished writing Stallion1 was simply using bash/sql scripts. On create, it would pick 16 consecutive aviailable v6 addresses, assign to the VM via vzctl (to ensure the confs were updated), and correct the SQL records. KVM was more or less the same, just minus the node-side. It's a bit of a pain, aye, but it got the job done until we finally just said 'f this', and wrote Stallion1.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Sounds like a good idea, though TBH I'm not a fan of your (BuyVM's) IPv6 allocations - the address are way too long. I know you have thousands of VMs, but I also know you have enough addresses that they shouldn't all have to lack a double colon.
Back on topic ;) We've already covered the v6 stuff in the stallion 2 thread.

Allocating /112's might be a way to do it, but it may become a pain in the ass with all those gateways D: Unless they did 'soft' subnets..???

Francisco

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Back on topic indeed. Offloaded MySQL and DNS are nice, but I've never had a use for them personally. It does show that a provider is forward thinking. I also like free backup space, that will generally be useful for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbb

Maybe I should take all of the edgy swearing out and compile a proper list. Perhaps on a wiki (don't we have like 30 VPS wikis?). We could make an article about the dos and don'ts from the client's perspective.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Use SolusVM/WHMCS/whatever else is popular. We're used to it. I actually get kind of annoyed when people write their own because it's seldom as good as the aforementioned alternatives.

Generally I agree, especially from a design perspective (terribly designed panels like VirtPanel). I have seen several providers that do it/are doing it right though. If you have the resources to make a truly good panel with all the features that other people are asking for, by all means go for it (yes, I'm talking mostly about BuyVM).

shovenose

Verified Provider
  • NinjaHawk, NerdyVPS, LoliHosting, etc. are not a good company names. Especially that last one (although it's probably more acceptable in Asia). I'm sorry. Make sure your company name isn't awful. There are professional services out there that don't cost very much. They can help you rebrand. If you're not sure if your name/site/etc. is awful, ask someone. If I saw a host with a crap site asking for feedback on vpsBoard I'd be grateful because it means that they care about our opinion. This is another example of when it's a good idea to take feedback on board.

Edit: IPv6. Who the heck doesn't have IPv6 these days? State if it's not native.
What do you think of ShoveHost? I already think I know what the answer to that one is. How about the BetterVPS one? ;)

bbb

What do you think of ShoveHost? I already think I know what the answer to that one is. How about the BetterVPS one? ;)
Is there some kind of deeper meaning to the name that I'm not aware of? If not, I'm not particularly fond of it. BetterVPS is actually pretty good. With a catchy slogan it could work quite well, IMO. Not sure about the use of tildes on both of your sites, though.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Is there some kind of deeper meaning to the name that I'm not aware of? If not, I'm not particularly fond of it. BetterVPS is actually pretty good. With a catchy slogan it could work quite well, IMO. Not sure about the use of tildes on both of your sites, though.
Not really the only reason shovehost is called shovehost is because I'm shovenose and I run shovehost. Lol.

You think - or :: or | is better than ~ ?

amuck-landowner