amuck-landowner

What are you using IPv6 for?

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
@serverian, Thats an epic idea..... Wonders if Googles anti-bot algorithms are IPv6 ready :p

Last edited by a moderator:

maounique

And I wonder if the surveillance is the same on IPv6. Recently Tor is becoming IPv6 ready and tracking will be more difficult for a while.

I think the next layer of internet that will use encrypted p2p traffic and routes across providers and carriers for content publishing outside of state control will use IPv6. Those are so many that you can establish numerous tunnels on port 80 or 443, whatever to pass on seemingly genuine traffic which can be just padded or encrypted in multiple layers and it will be extremely difficult to track, especially if will pass over 2-3 hops.

Latency will be big, agreed, but the speed once established the connection will not be that bad, Internet speeds all over the world are still growing, especially in EU and Asia.

I am now using it to test exactly this kind of scenario, tracking routes, etc. Mainly at home to bypass NAT, however, having it only on one connection while the other providers keep promissing it for years is really frustrating, this month I will drop one of them as my contract comes to an end, specifically for this issue.

Also, the same provider offers IPv6 at home but not for businesses, they are so clueless that when I asked about IPv6 he told me that I have only one IP with my plan, not 6.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
@Reece - I occasionally do. As others have said since IPV6 isn't so flushed out there are many times I have had shorter routes or reduced latency between locations than with IPV4.

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I want to add a question ... what should I do with 18.446.744.073.709.551.616 IPv6 addresses?

Got one of the he.net IPv6 tunnels with one /64 assigned to it.

It might be easier for routing but a whole /64? Even a /112 does provide 65,536 ips.

So why do they throw away so many ips?

wdq

Quade
I want to add a question ... what should I do with 18.446.744.073.709.551.616 IPv6 addresses?

Got one of the he.net IPv6 tunnels with one /64 assigned to it.

It might be easier for routing but a whole /64? Even a /112 does provide 65,536 ips.

So why do they throw away so many ips?
I've been wondering the same thing. If hosts are giving out /64's and /48's to every customer in a decade we'll run into an IPv6 shortage just like we did by giving out big blocks of IPv4 addresses to businesses in the past. I'm pretty sure something like a /128 or even a /124 would be perfectly fine for the majority of people out there. 

I don't know a whole lot about IPv6 so someone might be able to provide more information on why such huge blocks of IPv6 are being assigned. 

film_girl

I've been wondering the same thing. If hosts are giving out /64's and /48's to every customer in a decade we'll run into an IPv6 shortage just like we did by giving out big blocks of IPv4 addresses to businesses in the past. I'm pretty sure something like a /128 or even a /124 would be perfectly fine for the majority of people out there. 

I don't know a whole lot about IPv6 so someone might be able to provide more information on why such huge blocks of IPv6 are being assigned. 
Those are the recommended blocks by the IETF. In fact, at one point the recommendation for home sites changed from being more than /64 (though not necessarily a /48), something like a /56.

In practical terms though, the IPv6 address space is something like 340 undecillion. Like it's a number completely unfathomable. We're not going to run out of address space in our lifetime.

Reactions: wdq

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
If hosts are giving out /64's and /48's to every customer in a decade we'll run into an IPv6 shortage just like we did by giving out big blocks of IPv4 addresses to businesses in the past.
There are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 /64 blocks in IPv6 (and that many IPs in a /64, incidentally). By my calculation, if one /64 is allocated per second it will take trillions of years to run out. @film_girl is right, IPv6 depletion should never be a concern.

Reactions: wdq
amuck-landowner