amuck-landowner

What Constitutes a Datacenter

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
At least two servers, an internet connection faster than 100Mbps with static IPs, at least one managed switch, and some sort of redundant power.

I guess you've never heard of Brazil.   My 2 VPS's with 15Mbps connections are the envy of all the suckas who are stuck in Brazilian datacenters with 5Mbps connections. :p

Network Speed:15 Mbps

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I don't think any datacenter here in Sweden has any armed guards and not every center has staff on site 24/7.

We have a couple of sites here where there are security cameras monitoring everything and every customer who has a rack also has the key to that area in the building. You are actually allowed to walk around the isles and look at every rack there is. Taking photos of any rack, except your own will revoke your access.

And since it is a small pond, the word will get out and you would have a hard time finding another dc to rent in.

If you go direct with the company owning the DC, some doesn't supply remote hands. They send you the key and it is your responsibility to fix it. If you need remote hands, that is another service. Perhaps from another company.

BuyCPanel-Kevin

Verified Provider
"data center is a facility used to house computer systems and associated components" - wikipedia
So, a basement could be a data center!

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I think perhaps the main issue is one of intention. In other words, upon (re)consideration, I would say that a datacenter is a building or portion of a building constructed or arranged for the purpose of housing servers and connecting to the Internet for exchanging and making available data. Thus, though your basement might meet some of the aforementioned datacenter requirements (high speed connection, multiple servers), it's not a datacenter because it was not intended as such, and in fact also serves other purposes for which it is not only specifically intended, but perhaps also better suited. This definition also allows for datacenters that are obviously datacenters, but might have, for instance, slow uplinks or a lack of security.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner