amuck-landowner

What cool and useful things would you do with your Windows VPS?

Hxxx

Hi,

I you had one Windows VPS idle, what cool and useful things would yo do with it?

goo

Loadup a virtual audio cable and spotify, then join teamspeak servers playing music

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Host .NET stuff? idk, I suppose you can do that on Lunix these days too with Mono. I guess "bot some online game" is the only uniquely-Windows use case I can think of

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Convert to centos w/cpanel if hosting email, sites and databases and not worry about windows updates or security issues not to mention its linux.  B)

dave

In the past I've tried to come up with ideas about what I could do with a windows vps, but haven't really found anything interesting.

I suppose you could load virtualbox on it, and run centos or some other linux from virtualbox.

And I'm not anti-windows.  I use it on my home pc.  Just not that interested in a windows server.  But I'm open to new ideas, if there could be something useful to do with it.

HostStage

Hello,

There are many things you can do with a windows VPS.

You can run any application ressources intensive. (SEO tools to name one of the top usage of a windows VPS)

You can create awesome video and upload them to youtube in a heart beat.

You can create a game server, a web TV, web radio or  even a stream relay. 

You can create also your own cloud to host your most important files.

If you have Windows server edition, you can also start hosting a website with IIS.

So many things to be done, just find something you would like doing.

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider
You can do a lot of things with a windows vps, the only thing missing is a decent control panel like cPanel for windows server. If someone made one easy to use like cPanel, it would have a chance of competing.

fixidixi

FHN-Eric: on the contrary: i think windows server is much more like a control panel, the only decent thing its missing is full-featured command prompt :) there are so many things u cant do over cmd just in the gui (or its not documented anywhere how) :)

howardsl2

If you only run Linux at home, you can use that idle Windows VPS to remotely run some windows-only software, such as minesweeper and 3d pinball space cadet.

Hxxx

ehm

Is a Windows only host, no reinstall to centos ;)

Currently using it for ampps, for development websites. 

One can install wordpress and joomla instances and much more with WEB PI from Microsoft. Works good. But for my likes, IIS is meh.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ordered a Windows VPS from Winity last month... I think all I've done is install Firefox and run a speedtest... I really have no idea what to use it for.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Ordered a Windows VPS from Winity last month... I think all I've done is install Firefox and run a speedtest... I really have no idea what to use it for.
That's me and my Corgitech Windows VM in LA.  I originally wanted to install Opserver but I found out Opserver doesn't do linux monitoring.  I originally wanted to replace my Observium installation with it but...  yeah.  

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner