amuck-landowner

What do you consider valid justification for IP space?

fisle

Something like 20% of users are still using XP so you can't use SNI yet.

XP is EOL already, I see no reason to support it anymore. And even if there's XP users, they can always use different browsers.

I have been using SNI in production since early 2013 without any issues.

concerto49

Verified Provider
XP is EOL already, I see no reason to support it anymore. And even if there's XP users, they can always use different browsers.

I have been using SNI in production since early 2013 without any issues.
Depends on country. China and some extent Australia are heavy IE / XP environment. It's about company policies and things hacked to work in IE only so they don't switch browsers.

datarealm

Verified Provider
 Do you require proof of how they'll be used?

Your post makes this sound like this is a new thing. :)

We've required proof since we added dedicated servers to our hosting portfolio in the late 90's...

As for what constitutes proof -- anything that cannot be technically accomplished without a unique IP address. Yes, SSL still generally falls under this category.

For those that claim SEO purposes we share with them direct quotes from Google employees that unique IP addresses do not affect rankings.  The most annoying folks to deal with are those whose "custom internal application requires a unique IP per client for security and confidentiality.  Most of these clients are in the financial industry so you can understand why security is so important". *sigh*

And somewhat hypocritically we are also a provider that does a unique IP per shared account.  Some of this dates back to when we started hosting, name based hosting simply did not exist.  After that it was required for a time with our load balanced setup.  By then an IP per domain had become deeply ingrained in our entire infrastructure, and as Francsico mentioned, it can be far easier to manage on a scale for abuse, shuffling things around, etc etc.

cspacews

Verified Provider
The VP of Operations of a pseudo data center operator asked me to post his reply to Manndude's justification question here because he's never been a VPSboard member (although he has been an avid reader of VPSB since Day 1).

Our IP justification Policy

1. Give us the farking money and you can have an entire /24 on your VPS. Need more than one /24? No problem! Don't worry your pretty little head about justification we'll fake it for you because customer satisfaction is our #1 concern!

2. Anonymity a concern?  No problemo! You can have that entire /24 unswipped and as an added bonus we won't require you to provide us with any ID verification.  Your privacy is safe with us!

3. For an extra fee we'll give you a constantly rotating supply of IPs and we'll tell any blocklistNazi who asks that you've been terminated if they try to bully you and hurt your business.  They'll never know we rotated you to a new IP block!  (see answer #1 for our justification requirements.)
Does this person own a /8 then he can accomodate all Spammers(these are people who need rotating IPs) :D

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
We generally address this on a per-user basis... if a new customer comes along and wants more than 5 IP addresses, we're not going to just hand it over to them... if it's a long time customer in good standing, we won't require too much information.  If the client already has several IP addresses that appear to be unused, we will have IP addresses available for them immediately when they run out.  We're not going to let a new customer hoard a /27 or larger too easily unless they're (for example) reselling web space and will understandably need them available.

CentralHosts

Verified Provider
We stopped allowing people to use SSL certs as a justification. We are needing to be more strict these days as IPs are running low. 

mikeyur

Verified Provider
For those that claim SEO purposes we share with them direct quotes from Google employees that unique IP addresses do not affect rankings. 
It will affect rankings if you're doing semi-shady shit (in Google's eyes, that is). If you're building a PBN or linking to your own stuff, having it on completely different blocks is fairly important. The best way to get different IPs for different sites is to use a variety of hosts.

But I agree overall, anyone claiming "SEO Purposes" for a new IP is probably too dumb to know what they're doing anyways. If I can load up bgp.he.net and see which blocks are assigned to which provider, you don't think Google is smart enough to figure that out? This is why "SEO Hosting" is a huge ripoff, yeah you've got 40 sites on different IPs, but all the blocks are owned by "SEO HOST INC".

Serveo

Verified Provider
Does this person own a /8 then he can accomodate all Spammers(these are people who need rotating IPs) :D
Just my cents ;).

As IPv4 is limited we provision per order basis. Though our IP reputation is preferred, so in case our abuse gets flooded we simply suspend on 2nd warning. Most cases the client is simply a spammer and doesn't respond. 

I'd rather just give the IP in the price and not deal with that headache.

Francisco
Did you offer most customers a dedicated IP free of charge? I hadn't heard of shared hosts doing that in an effort to mitigate the headache of DDoS attacks in shared hosting environments.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Did you offer most customers a dedicated IP free of charge? I hadn't heard of shared hosts doing that in an effort to mitigate the headache of DDoS attacks in shared hosting environments.
All shared get a dedicated IP, no matter the plan.

If you have 1000 users on a single IP then it's pretty hard to figure out who the trouble maker is. We'd then be forced to offer DDOS filtering and then you get all super cheap customers that are upset that their $5/year hosting is slow because of heavy SYN rate limits, etc.

It's simply easier for us to just give each user their own IP and if they get smacked they aren't taking anyone else down. It works decently.

Francisco

Serveo

Verified Provider
All shared get a dedicated IP, no matter the plan.

If you have 1000 users on a single IP then it's pretty hard to figure out who the trouble maker is. We'd then be forced to offer DDOS filtering and then you get all super cheap customers that are upset that their $5/year hosting is slow because of heavy SYN rate limits, etc.

It's simply easier for us to just give each user their own IP and if they get smacked they aren't taking anyone else down. It works decently.

Francisco
How about your processes, hardware limits and bandwidth? If your shared user is getting a ddos its not only your IP that's effected (-;

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
How about your processes, hardware limits and bandwidth? If your shared user is getting a ddos its not only your IP that's effected (-;
Good thing we were the first VPS host in the industry to have an auto nullroute then :)

EDIT - Grammar

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasson.Pass

I've seen so many people want IPs from random spaces for SEO. I've been turning them down. SSL is no longer a valid requirement and neither is email.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
But I need IPs for my front ends for every e-device... and I want them on different subnets....  Privacy.. Oh wait proper SWIP should include personal end information.  Shh...

layerbyte_ben

Verified Provider
Any requests that use SEO as the justification or order's that the individual's refuse to provide the reason on why they need an IP address get refunded / denied. On our shared hosting platform we try to get clients to use SNI over issuing them a dedicated IP address.

We get the odd requests every few weeks to our sales department requesting to lease hundreds of IP's and to be SWIPED to their organization. These requests kindly get denied.

amuck-landowner