drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
E5430 -- That's a higher power draw CPU:

Maximum power dissipation  ? 

133.25 Watt
108.5 Watt (sustained)

Thermal Design Power  ? 

80 Watt

I'd look for an L series instead.   Watts are going to matter with power surcharges and such.  RAID might exist on the board as-is.  RAID cards often are power suckers.

The L5420's show up often and are quite capable machines, even today.

Not impossible to need maybe 3A of power for what you have in mind.  Which ends up hurting.

Of course there are some colo facilities that won't stomp you for the power usage, but severely limited there in facilities.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well, an I3 is faster per se, but dealing with an L5420 that typically has 2 quad core CPUs, which is certainly faster...

The L5420 or similar --- there are other L series dual quad Xeons are real workhorses and only down side really is they are end of life/used/refurbs.

But the parts prices are low, spares cheap to keep in stock.   See nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I'll probably do that then.

Dual Quad L5420's with 16gb ram, 2 2tb drives and a couple ssds. Should be sufficient.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah looking at 4 bays usually on most cases.  RAID may or may not be included or sufficient depending on the motherboard.

Personal servers for my own projects I try to make do with included controllers when I can.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Yeah, this is for a personal project server. It's running proxmox with a few vm's that run mirrors for open source os and projects.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah Proxmox runs great on those :)  Have a similar server out there just for that reason :)

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Nice, I'm running one at WSI right now and it works really well. I just would like to add drives and customize the machine more.

amuck-landowner