amuck-landowner

What do you use your VPS for?

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
While I'm a service provider, I still buy virtual servers from other providers.  Here's a quick list of what I use mine purchased VPS for:

1. Distributed DNS servers across the country
  2. Control panels
  3. Fail-over for some of our hosted systems (things happen - if our systems go down - we need something to rely on!)
  4. VPN servers
  5. File/config/ISO repositories (things that don't matter if they're discovered)
Here's what I use my personal VPS for:

1. Game servers
  2. Personal websites
  3. Personal VPN server
  4. "cloud" storage (I greatly dislike the term "cloud" - it has become meaningless) [and again, non-sensitive files/information]
  5. test platforms
What do you use yours for?

clownjugglar

I use my OVH dedicated for file storage, ircd, and a small minecraft server. Often used to test random things I find on github too.

My VPS I use for ssh tunneling while at work, mumble server and messing with dnscrypt stuff, and i'll download interesting things to it while at work since it's located closer to me than my OVH box.

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
I use my OVH dedicated for file storage, ircd, and a small minecraft server. Often used to test random things I find on github too.
do you spin up new VM's for each instance or are these just run directly on the server?  It's so easy to put everything in a virtual environment once the initial setup is done that I just isolate everything into a virtual container in my little homelab.  Just makes me feel a little safer -- something goes wrong I can just blast it away and start over for only 1 application.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Using VPS less and less.

What I usually do with them:

1. Remote file storage

2. Jabber server

3. Voice server

4. Shell environment for various scripts

5. Remote scheduled data collectors (audio/video)

Jacob

Verified Provider
I don't have a VPS anymore.  :( My girlfriend wouldn't approve of spending money on such things..

Playing with the Ubuntu box at work is about as close as I get to having a chance to play about with things, and even then it's a live box for the firewall logs from the Cisco's so I can't really have a proper play... -.-

Last edited by a moderator:

Imam86

Mostly for experiments and learning. In an urgent situation, it could be a backup server.
When I give presentations in a class, it can be a web server or anything that related to the subject.

For personal usage, I use it as vpn. Because my ISP has damn strict rules, blocked everywhere.
I need to read MANGA. :angry:

24/7/365

Verified Provider
I don't have a VPS anymore.  :( My girlfriend wouldn't approve of spending money on such things..

Playing with the Ubuntu box at work is about as close as I get to having a chance to play about with things, and even then it's a live box for the firewall logs from the Cisco's so I can't really have a proper play... -.-
Would she have a problem with even the low priced $10/yr VPS?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Why does the girlfriend keep your balls in her purse and has pickpocketed your wallet?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Is this because you are using something else, or just lack of time for side projects?
Certainly a lack of time.  But is stupid to squander hard earned money on VPS charity to degree I use to.

Other projects I do have I am throwing up on existing resources or front side disguised dedicated servers.  But even dedicated/colo I am pulling back on.

Instead of paying virtual bills with real money, I go buy some new gear for my LAN environment :)

kcaj

VPN Server

File storage

Have a setup that pulls images from a couple of CCTV cameras on the exterior of the property

Transmission (torrenting)

DeVeDe (encode video files from torrents into DVD playable content)

MySQL (used by Piwik)

Piwik installation for log analysis and for use on a few other sites for friends

ZNC IRC bouncer

HTTP content (images etc)

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Web server, gitolite server, build & ci server, teamspeak server, monitoring server, remote development environment, backup servers, ghetto CDN, tunnel endpoints, game servers, occasional mirroring of open source services that are temporarily down, testbeds for various things, chat bots... Lots of stuff, these days. This is across both VPS and dedicated boxen though.

Oddly enough I've been steadily lowering the number of servers I have as I steadily increase the number of services I run, am now down to just 2 dedicated boxes, 3 vps and a few hundred spare $ on vultr+DO for random shit I spin up.

sv01

Slow but sure
personal :

mail server + sync every minute to backup server
owncloud
vpn
shoutcast
employer :

2 vps : mail server
4 VPS : file storage (backup all computer data)
4 : DNS
1 : VPN
1: LAMP server

and few VPS for playing

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeyur

Verified Provider
Piwik installation for log analysis and for use on a few other sites for friends
How do you like Piwik? I've considered setting up an installation for a few of my sites as a test.

ghetto CDN
I thought I had this trademarked, GhettoCDN™. What are you using to manage your CDN? - or is it as ghetto as mine (a bunch of geographically diverse, rsync'd boxes with Route53 DNS (latency-based queries))

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
I thought I had this trademarked, GhettoCDN™. What are you using to manage your CDN? - or is it as ghetto as mine (a bunch of geographically diverse, rsync'd boxes with Route53 DNS (latency-based queries))
Wrote bespoke software that distributes content among nodes based on geographic popularity. Wouldn't be hard to extend it to account for more factors, but not really necessary given it's only running on a few boxes anyway.

amuck-landowner