amuck-landowner

What is better: Renting or owning your hardware?

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Is better the own entire DC if you afford
'DC' in Romania seems is not similar to 'DC' in western europe..... i've seen things there, from converted residential flats in Bucharest (Get it? Because it has cat6 run from some pole through an open window (of course with a window AC) and 200A 230V its a datacenter...) to a cabinet in a farm house in Cluj leaking water 2m away... Eastern Europe really requires some serious verifications before usage... i'm still surprised Voxility BUC1 didn't burn down yet (they do *INSANE* amounts of power per rack, like 90 Amps 230V)

MarkTurner

Verified Provider
Owning the hardware is fine, but don't forget that you need to plan for hardware failure. So you have to factor for spares on-site (or be prepared to be down until spares are on-site) then either visit the colo facility or pay remote hands to install the replacement equipment.

Robert

Owning the hardware is fine, but don't forget that you need to plan for hardware failure. So you have to factor for spares on-site (or be prepared to be down until spares are on-site) then either visit the colo facility or pay remote hands to install the replacement equipment.
This is one of the things I stress to first-time colocation customers. Going with a colocation company that also offers dedicated is good for this reason.

amuck-landowner