amuck-landowner

What is everyone doing for IRC?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Pardon my ignorance, though I'd consider myself an IRC newb. I never used it much in the past and it wasn't until vpsBoard began that I started using it in any fashion. For me, I just use IRCCloud, a web-based IRC client that does a few things I find useful:

• Masks my local IP, which is important considering the low quality of people who enter IRC on the occasion.
  • Allows me to scroll through past dates / chat logs. This has proved useful when memory has failed me and I needed to recall something.
  • Allows me to set keyword alerts so I get a visual notification if someone mentions any of them, and the entire line of text with the keyword shows as highlighted in the chat log.
  • Keeps me online even when I am offline.

Now, the system isn't bad, but I do have a couple idle VPSes and I'd rather set something up similar to this myself so I can stop using a memory resource hog browser application. Anyone care to point me in the proper direction? Bonus points if you just make a vpsBoard tutorial for others as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

William

pr0
Verified Provider
I just use a bouncer (znc) with DDoS protection. As client Hexchat with a dark theme.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
We just run everything on our own IRC network so we have cloaking there and then I use MIRC.

You'll probably want to stay on freenode due to user reach, but it may not be a bad idea to either install ZNC/etc on the vpsb box or another filtered box.

Irssi is also nice if you like using terminals.

Francisco

trewq

Verified Provider
I've used MIRC before but I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I'm using irccloud now and loving it. I have irc on all my devices and it just works.

Erawan

I'm a Windows users, so I just use my vps as IRC bouncer using znc, which will record 100+ last chat logs, and connect to it using Hexchat

k0nsl

Bad Goy
IRCAnywhere, they're planning a lot of rework of their code soon as well (think traditional ZNC-like connection). I've got one test instance up and running at the moment:

http://icanhazirc.knsl.org/

[edit]

As for for what I personally use, for the most part it will be ZNC. At least for the major networks I'm on (FT, FN, DN, IM et cetera) but in other cases I would just screen + irssi, that's so simple ;)

Ishaq

Verified Provider
ZNC + HexChat for permanent networks. irssi or mIRC for a quick connect.

willie

I use xchat through an ssh socks proxy to an ultra cheap vps.  Freenode has ip cloaking if you enroll an account and log into it, but it's not real reliable.  If your connection drops and then you reconnect, for the moments between reconnection and when auto-identification completes, your ip is exposed.  The socks proxy means that the ip that's seen is the vps's rather than the local one.

AuroraZero

Just use Kvirc on my home laptop. Never gave much more thought to it. Then again I am not on IRC all that much, never have anything to say.

amuck-landowner