amuck-landowner

What is the cheapest I can get a Windows VPS for?

hzr

#hashtagtwerkteam
Prefer west coast + ipv6, but other locations considered. No Buffalo, no Vegas, no Dallas (already have all 3).

- NAT is fine, I don't need dedicated IPv4. IPv6 will be nice to have.

- XP or 2003 or something, don't care, whichever uses the least resources. I can self install if you allow TechNet licences.

- Negligible memory (256/512MB is fine) / CPU (should be almost nothing except for reboots; currently using avg 1% of 1 core) / bandwidth (<5GB/m)

Needs to be as power stable as possible (meaning no or little node reboots -- occasional packetloss and network downtime is fine). Will not be doing any mailing/IRC/hosting/anything abusive/torrents/DMCA/*. This is basically going to be a keepalive/monitoring slave.

Paypal or Buttcoin or whatever.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Your best bet is checking the AD's area for the cheapest KVM 256/512 - expect to use your technet license (it needs to be for "testing").

Or wait for a KVM provider to give you a custom quote.

hzr

#hashtagtwerkteam
Your best bet is checking the AD's area for the cheapest KVM 256/512 - expect to use your technet license (it needs to be for "testing").

Or wait for a KVM provider to give you a custom quote.
It specifically will not be running anything in production, hosting customers, hosting a personal site (I don't even need ports open inbound). Just personal dev/testing/playing around.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
If "technet" means "I had technet once and still have some keys" then KVM as described above.

If "technet" means "I have a sugar daddy/employer who pays for technet and will roll me over to MSDN once technet is expired," then check to see which MSDN level you will get because you can get Azure credits.  I think even the lowest level has enough credits to run a small (1.7GB RAM) instance (VM) there continuously.

Microsoft is getting pretty desperate on Azure...they're holding a raffle to give away an Aston-Martin to MSDN people who spin up a free Azure instance.  I don't remember Amazon needing to give away a sports car to get people to use EC2 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Microsoft is getting pretty desperate on Azure...they're holding a raffle to give away an Aston-Martin to MSDN people who spin up a free Azure instance.  I don't remember Amazon needing to give away a sports car to get people to use EC2 :)
I need a sports car to use Azure! :)

I can recommend MaximumVPS it may not be the cheapest (not sure going rates for KVM) but its stable and Tim does a good job at keeping everything going. They recently got a network upgrade and its a bit faster now I find on my KVM512. No unplanned downtime since I got it (~2Months).

Echelon

Verified Provider
Weren't they handing out MSDN subscriptions for free at one point? I know I picked one up.

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
1 CPU 2.27GHZ

Dedicated Ram: 2048M

Secure Storage: 15G

1 ipv4

1 ipv6

Free VNC console access from client portal

Unlimited Bandwidth on a rated port: 10M "upgradable"

For $7.00 If you want to use your own os image we will upload it for you just give us a link.

or 

we have windows thin client for 7$ add on for a total of 14$ total

Order link

amuck-landowner