amuck-landowner

What is your favorite forum / community software?

tk-hassan

Mine is "VBulletin". I am surprised to see the voting results which suggest that I am the only one who has opted for VBulletin

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
NodeBB looks good. Pretty similar to Discourse at first glance but smoother.
Isn't NodeBB like a branch of an old abandoned project from a while ago?

I think it was similar design to another forum software that quit and rebranded as another forum software.

Vega

I am going to go ahead and vote IPB. I used Xenforo TWICE and it was an awful experience. I don't have any experience as an admin with Vbulletin but it is a bit outdated and Woltlab Burning Board is nice but I am not a fan of the design really and the ACP is a bit meh.

I'm curious what everyone's favorite forum / community software is, whether as an end-user or administrator, doesn't matter. There are a lot of great options out there and due to some recent gripes about IPB and lack of excitement of IPB4 I'm just wanting to look at other platforms that may be comparable or better. :)

(No promises though, platform changes are a huge PITA and my gripes about IPB are generally temporary...)

God please don't change :p Especially not to something like Xenforo. Ugh. :D

I am also curious about the lack of excitement? If you are referring to a site like TAZ, they are heavily Xenforo biased so you wont find much excitement there for anything not xenforo....*eye roll*

But on the IPB support forums, excitement is high especially since they are gold now with IPb4.

That's interesting if we actually have Draft Save function here.   With my intentionally rigged setup, something must be filtering out / pruning something that makes that work.  Apologies if so from my end.

I have other edit issues with quotes all the time where I'll toss quotes then paste in text.  Once I go to add more beneath such, I cannot and have to flip to viewing source to inject a return and filler char, then back to editing graphic side.  Might be something knocked out by my setup also.
I am curious what browser you are using when you access VPSboard?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am curious what browser you are using when you access VPSboard?
The issue on my end was more of blocking elements - javacript namely.   Something plugin wise was fubaring/conflicting.   Draft functionality working now for me, per se.

cociu

Verified Provider
I love vBulletin because from my point it's the best forum software out there. It's not cheap but I believe it's worth every single penny.

nixstats

Last forum i used/installed was vbulletin and the code was a mess (vb4.x). Discourse seems interesting, like the way it looks.

icy

For paid, IPB is a clear choice for me. This is due to the user interface and rich management features.

I will always use MyBB when creating a test forum or for development purposes due to its flexibility. Many plugins/themes are supported and is constantly updated.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
I have to say I've gotten used to IPB lately and have stuck with it for a while. I do have an XenForo license though from when it came out and haven't used it lately.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I have to say I've gotten used to IPB lately and have stuck with it for a while. I do have an XenForo license though from when it came out and haven't used it lately.
Would you be willing to sell the XenForo license? Been looking for a second-hand one as I want to do some testing and play around with a install, but don't feel like committing to a full year license just for testing.

Vega

Would you be willing to sell the XenForo license? Been looking for a second-hand one as I want to do some testing and play around with a install, but don't feel like committing to a full year license just for testing.
Hope you wont convert Vpsboard to Xenforo. :p
Still loving IPB and find it to be the best software hands down compare to XF and VB. IPB4 does have some bugs but nothing showsotpping and I have enjoyed upgrading my forum to IPB4 this past Wednesday and the users really love it

willie

Last forum i used/installed was vbulletin and the code was a mess (vb4.x). Discourse seems interesting, like the way it looks.
A project I'm involved with is using discourse... it does have nice design but it's a big ram hog, demanding on browsers, downloads a huge blob of static javascript that slows down page loading, and overall seems kind of tasteless in these regards.  I prefer the simpler offerings and even think of writing something.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Been running IPB4 on our site nearly 2 weeks and for the most part our users love it.
I like it as an end-user, but couldn't stand the admin area.

I am having issues with 3.4.x though and IPB staff seem to just want me to upgrade to 4.0.x now to 'fix' the issues they're unwilling to fix with 3.4.x. It's frustrating. If I upgraded to 4.0.x I have to do a lot of custom work and get someone to re-skin it so it looks (similar) to how the site looks now.

Figured I'd give 4.0.x enough time to mature before I upgraded but at this rate I may just be forced to in the next month or so... =/

eva2000

I like it as an end-user, but couldn't stand the admin area.

I am having issues with 3.4.x though and IPB staff seem to just want me to upgrade to 4.0.x now to 'fix' the issues they're unwilling to fix with 3.4.x. It's frustrating. If I upgraded to 4.0.x I have to do a lot of custom work and get someone to re-skin it so it looks (similar) to how the site looks now.

Figured I'd give 4.0.x enough time to mature before I upgraded but at this rate I may just be forced to in the next month or so... =/
Xenforo :)

Mid

voted for FluxBB

just because it is lightweight (for the user)

I once was in a fluxxbb forum and never experienced anything faster (page loads, etc)

for e.g, go to archlinux forum (uses FluxxBB) and see the difference

if many (currently 63,471) seasoned linux gurus (yes those running arch are) are using it, why not you? 

I would say anything other than commercial would be better

all those vB/IPB/etc adds bulk to the visitor (who is more important than the admin on any site/forum)

amuck-landowner