amuck-landowner

What is your favourite linux-based operating system?

AutoSnipe

Verified Provider
Haha, "back in the day"...

I started with SuSE, 'back in the day', LONG before they were bought by Novell ;)
Although that was only in 2003 that they were bought out by Novell

I still remember the first version of Knoppix that came out.. IIRC you could run it from a 3.25 Floppy Disk =P.

switsys

Although that was only in 2003 that they were bought out by Novell

I still remember the first version of Knoppix that came out.. IIRC you could run it from a 3.25 Floppy Disk =P.
In this case - 'LONG before' means around 10 years.

I didn't mean to offend you in any way by laughing at 'back in the day', it just made me realize how EXTREMELY old I AM.

And, you're probably right, I've never tried Knoppix, so I wouldn't know.

I DO remember using floppy disks though, I used a lot of them... brrr. :lol:

datarealm

Verified Provider
Hmmm...  First install we ever did was Slackware iirc.  Of course RedHat didn't exist at the time.  And naturally we had to use floppies -- how else were we going to load the system?  :D

camarg

Started working with centos only. The last few years I'm using centos on cpanel servers only, the rest are based on debian. I'm slowly starting to build new servers on Ubuntu LTS instead of Debian because of it's longer support.

AuroraZero

Hmmm...  First install we ever did was Slackware iirc.  Of course RedHat didn't exist at the time.  And naturally we had to use floppies -- how else were we going to load the system?  :D
I remember when there was no magical "install" and it all ran off floppies. No there was no RedHat but there was Slackware. Still going strong today as well.

Love me some Slackware suppose I should back to work on my projects with it. Just been busy with outside things lately.

RockTBN

Verified Provider
CentOS - as we can run almost everything we need at a Linux server based on CentOS. Pretty clean and easy to use too :)

bullfrog3459

CentOS is good. I learned on Ubuntu 4.10 and Gentoo originally. Like old man Aldryic, i use Gentoo now for just simple OCD issues. :)

IceCream

Arch for production servers, Gentoo for game-servers, Slackware for random shit (IRC) and FreeBSD for home PC.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
If I have a choice at all, I don't use Linux and prefer OpenBSD.

Why?  Well since you asked:

• man pages are complete and accurate and they treat mistakes in them like serious bugs.  This alone is worth using OpenBSD.
  • also, man pages are man pages not stubs that point you at texinfo and blah blah blah
  • unparalleled record on security, though I would readily admit you can take Linux and make it very secure.  However, OpenBSD has many security features (both in the kernel and user-facing configurables) that Linux has not caught up to yet.  securelevel is one I particularly like - set your logs to append-only/firewall rules to immutable/etc., then switch securelevel so no one can change those settings without rebooting.
  • no systemd  :)
  • it's more of the environment I learned back when I was first using Unix in the SunOS 4 days - one environment, not pieced together from a dozen projects.  i.e., the source code for the entire OS is one tree, not a bunch of knitted-together projects with inconsistencies.
  • everything just works
  • the release songs are a lot better than the Linux distro release songs...wait...you Linux people...you don't even get a free song when a new version of your distro is released!?!?
Not that I hate Linux or anything - this is just my preference.

If I have to use Linux, then

• CentOS if it's going to run some commercial app because they tend to support CentOS best
  • If I have a choice, Debian but only because I've used it long enough that I've memorized all its quirks - then again, I could say the same thing about CentOS.
VPS providers tend to always have these, and they are also the most google-support-desk easy.  Ubuntu is another competitor there but I don't usually use Linux on the desktop (I know it can be a server too).

I ran Slackware in the floppy years, then Gentoo for years.  Might go back to it if you weird Linux people are going to keep up with this "we want svchost.exe!" systemd nonsense  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

OpticServers

Verified Provider
I have always used CentOS and never really had any issues with it, so I do not really have an opinion on any of the other Unix based Operating systems xD

amuck-landowner