amuck-landowner

What is your preferred web server?

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Nginx.. lightweight powerful and can be configured for 100's of uses not just a straight forward web server.

Licensecart

Litespeed fan here but due to the price I use Apache at the moment haha. I do like Nginx too but as a proxy so it's like LiteSpeed and I can use .htaccess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Husky

Verified Dog
Verified Provider
Nginx here. Although Apache's 2.4 branch is a real contender now.

I used to be a lighty fan, but IPv6 support is shit and fucks up your configs when trying to do IP restrictions.

Navyn

Verified Provider
Apache For me. Cause it is easy and have lots of documentation for configuration.

spry

I'm in favor of nginx. It is indeed lightweight (low memory footprint) and over the years I got used to the configuration style/format. It also has the 'bells and whistles' that I need, especially when using it as a reverse proxy.

On the other hand, Apache is no mediocre.

ModyDev

I like lighttpd becuase it is secure/fast/light and it can handle Layer7(DDoS) better than most of the webservers.

Thanks Lighttpd!

Apache is easy to config and I like the vhost options, native ssl setup and  powerful url control with mod rewrite. Nginx would be second on my list but I have had incompatibility issues a few times with certain php and other applications.

telephone

Apache is easy to config and I like the vhost options, native ssl setup and  powerful url control with mod rewrite. Nginx would be second on my list but I have had incompatibility issues a few times with certain php and other applications.

Can I enquire what issues you encountered with Nginx and PHP? And how long ago was this?

I've been using Nginx for PHP (with php-fpm) as my main stack for years and have never once come across an issue that wasn't solvable, so I'm genuinely intrigued.

ModyDev

Nginx is just a web server/proxy and if you got phpinfo working with it you will face no problem at all with php unless you can't configure php-fpm to work with nginx or there is some missing php modules which is needed by some web applications.

Regards!

amuck-landowner