amuck-landowner

What one should know if planning to start public mail service

Belucci

Yeah the thing is those are things I will decide on my own and don't really need advice on.

I need advice on the technical part, more specifically the fuckin 3 things i asked about.

Everything else about how I should live my life is not for you guys to give advice on.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
And you have pretty much just guaranteed that you won't get help now.  Plenty of folks have offered constructive, helpful advice - and throwing a tantrum is how you respond.  Technical skills (which you lack) can be learned, but the punishing lack of maturity will be the downfall of nigh anything you attempt until you get that chip off of your shoulder.

But let's take this from a different approach - I'll be happy to help teach you what you need to know for your project.  My rates start at 120$/hr, billed in half-hour increments.

zzrok

Technical skills (which you lack) can be learned, but the punishing lack of maturity will be the downfall of nigh anything you attempt until you get that chip off of your shoulder.
This times 1000.  You came here for advice from people ostensibly more knowledgeable than you, but you refuse to accept any of it.  I can't figure out why you posted here, since you seem to know everything already.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Yeah the thing is those are things I will decide on my own and don't really need advice on.

I need advice on the technical part, more specifically the fuckin 3 things i asked about.

Everything else about how I should live my life is not for you guys to give advice on.
To topic 1:

I allready wrote everything about this topic.

Others too - so their responses were not off topic at all.

To topic 2:

It is. The whole discussion can be found on my

To topic 3:

As stated in my tutorial: Ubuntu meta package: "dovecot-postfix".

Or go the long way to a Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube setup: "postfix postfix-mysql dovecot-core dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d dovecot-lmtpd dovecot-mysql mysql-server dovecot-sieve dovecot-managesieved"

Configuration: Read my tutorial.

Domain settings: Read my tutorial.

Securitry: At least read my tutorial (and optional chapter #13)

But please first try to host your own email server to check if everything is right. (with a domain name you don't want to use later)

Afterwards ask friends to do bad stuff.

See if your monitoring kicks in.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

Since I have spare VPS and domains I'm considering to start offering free mail service.

1. Are there any risks associated with it? I suppose the biggest care will be spammers taking advantage of the smtp server, but I plan to set limit of mails per user per day. Are there other risks?

2. is it resource intensive? (web mail and imap, pop3, smtp)

3. What package you would recommend me to use?

1. Yes.  Major risks.  Simply placing a limit on mails per user per day is NOT enough to combat this.  You're assuming setting this and letting it go would be fine.  It's not.  You need to take more proactive measures against this.  You're going to assume "this is good enough" but seriously, when it comes to security and mail, even the smallest hole can screw you over.  This is what everyone else is stating.  You have no actual background knowledge on this and you want to provide a public service.  You're going to do more harm than good, people here are trying to prevent that and instead provide you an opportunity (or more like a thought) to first test out your skills on a smaller case study before moving on to the big fish.  This is probably the most logical thing to do.  Just because it's free doesn't me it should be done in a crappy manner.  Look how that panned out for ZPanel.  

2. Depending on volume, yes.  Look at @wlanboy's tutorials and posts.

3. Look at @wlanboy's tutorials and posts.

Look, the people who have already posted here are incredibly intelligent and have skills many companies would love to hire.  A large percentage of the people here actually work on systems like this as their full-time gig.  Don't just wave them off because they disagree with your opinions.  It's best to have an open mind and to approach it from a different angle.  Another spam server becomes another pain in the ass for the provider (dealing with dirty IP and spammer) and for the spamees (having to deal with another server sending out spam, more than likely going to just simply block your entire server).  

And then there's no point in having a "free email server" if the majority of your emails aren't accepted anywhere.  

Belucci

1. Yes.  Major risks.  Simply placing a limit on mails per user per day is NOT enough to combat this.  You're assuming setting this and letting it go would be fine.  It's not.  You need to take more proactive measures against this.  You're going to assume "this is good enough" but seriously, when it comes to security and mail, even the smallest hole can screw you over.  This is what everyone else is stating.  You have no actual background knowledge on this and you want to provide a public service.  You're going to do more harm than good, people here are trying to prevent that and instead provide you an opportunity (or more like a thought) to first test out your skills on a smaller case study before moving on to the big fish.  This is probably the most logical thing to do.  Just because it's free doesn't me it should be done in a crappy manner.  Look how that panned out for ZPanel.  
What I hate is that everyone is saying this but no one actually gives an suggestion on what else to implement to combat the spammers.

I mean this is a tech forum and one would expect to the point and relevant answers not being philosophical about life in general.

Yeah I don't have the knowledge to run this yet and that's why I'm asking!

But you can't gain knowledge with 90% of the answers here. They are more like, you don't know that shit, better give up right away. Yeah right. So, concstructive.

Of course that before it's open to the public it will be built for myself and tested, but still one gotta know the answers of those questions.

Seems the only thing of value here is the links to those tutorials and I'll read them, but all the posts with general advice of the kind, "Well man you don't need those oranges, here are apples instead. "  are useless and annoying.

And when you confront those people, they are all like, you are immature, grow up.

Well here are the news for you smartasses, when you act like an ass i'll be there to confront you, yeah I will use the language too.

We use that language in our every day life, but when one says fuck it on a forum, suddenly it's a major issue.....come on don't be that hipocrite.

If you never sweared in your real life then come at throw rocks at me. Fuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
What I hate is that everyone is saying this but no one actually gives an suggestion on what else to implement to combat the spammers.

I mean this is a tech forum and one would expect to the point and relevant answers not being philosophical about life in general.

Yeah I don't have the knowledge to run this yet and that's why I'm asking!

But you can't gain knowledge with 90% of the answers here. They are more like, you don't know that shit, better give up right away. Yeah right. So, concstructive.

Of course that before it's open to the public it will be built for myself and tested, but still one gotta know the answers of those questions.

Seems the only thing of value here is the links to those tutorials and I'll read them, but all the posts with general advice of the kind, "Well man you don't need those oranges, here are apples instead. "  are useless and annoying.

And when you confront those people, they are all like, you are immature, grow up.

Well here are the news for you smartasses, when you act like an ass i'll be there to confront you, yeah I will use the language too.

We use that language in our every day life, but when one says fuck it on a forum, suddenly it's a major issue.....come on don't be that hipocrite.

If you never sweared in your real life then come at throw rocks at me. Fuck.
It doesn't matter about swearing.  It's simply being a dick when you're asking people for help.  You ask people for help.  They offer you help.  Granted many were in a different format or different way than you expected but hell, they took the time out of their day to write it for you.  

And then you curse at them.

Yep...  You're a real swell guy.

Belucci

Here is how they tried to help me.

Excuse me for not appreciating useless, irelevant help.

Yeah they wasted their time to waste mine as well.

Those are the facts.

I thanked to the one that actually provided the relevant help.

9oryJMh.jpg

raj

Soooo instead of your own education and experience teaching you the foundations for your free mail service, you wanted to be hand fed all the information that vpsboard.com's working professionals have worked for over time.  Sorta like "hey new person to the forum, here's all the trade secrets I've learned in my tenure as a sysadmin".  And when they didn't do that, you're butt hurt? 

zzrok

Here is an analogy to explain our perception of your request.

You came into a mountain climbers forum and asked how to climb Mt. Everest.  The experienced climbers of the site noticed from the questions you asked that you are a novice hiker at best.  They wisely suggested that you start by climbing a smaller mountain so that you can eventually work up to Everest after a lot of training.  You whined like a baby that you should be able to climb any mountain you want and everyone else should bend over to help you even though you will probably die trying.  Then you started calling everyone names.

Last edited by a moderator:

sleddog

The only way (IMO) a free email service makes any sense is to offer it as an add-on service to known-good, existing clients who are already paying you significant amounts of money.

Even then, it can be painful, because your service needs to be at least as good as Gmail or people will complain.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Quite honestly, people like him are why I rarely reach out to offer help anymore.  It's just so damn disheartening to try and help someone learn and succeed, and all they bring to the table is a shitty attitude and a demand that all the work be done for them.

amuck-landowner