amuck-landowner

What smartphone do you guys use?

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, not my phone of choice but it was £150 and I needed a phone desperately at the time. It's not too bad, running a custom ROM and rooted of course. Does what I need, although I prefer my old Sony J108i simply due to it's call quality.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Still using LG Optimus, but unactivated and rooted and filtering the DNS with massive block listing.  Purely using as wifi-only device. Mainly for streaming audio and a few common apps.
Which one? I'm using the Optimus L9, very easy to root but custom rom support is very poor.  I only got it because at the time I didn't want to shell out and extra $150 for the Nexus 4 which I now regret.  I'll probably end up buying one off craigslist around xmas.  Not a terrible phone but battery life could be better.

It works well enough to become a WIFI AP for my Nexus 7 for when I need to do the real browsing.  My only complaint is my upload speeds but I suspect that is more a network issue then phone limitation.

Lots of iPhone users here =/  My wife is waiting for her 5S to arrive...

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Which one? I'm using the Optimus L9
Still kicking around the Optimus V.  More than sufficient for the little I use it.  Winamp, TuneIn (about tired of it), Craigslist, Ebay, Opera those are my staple apps.  All run fine on the old hardware.

The more recent models do look nice though.

If I were opting to buy into the official new phone with cell service, I'd be shopping a water proof and rugged phone.  Good to see more mainstreaming of some --- wider availability.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I have a Samsung Note version 1.

It's a good phone but I'm looking to replace it. Samsung doesn't support it with newer roms and CyanogenMod doesn't play all that nicely with it either.

I get quite a few crashes (purple screen + reboot) as well as the screen tripping out randomly.

I'm looking at a Nexus 5 when it comes out but damn, I sure like having a stylus.

Francisco

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Still kicking around the Optimus V.  More than sufficient for the little I use it.  Winamp, TuneIn (about tired of it), Craigslist, Ebay, Opera those are my staple apps.  All run fine on the old hardware.

The more recent models do look nice though.

If I were opting to buy into the official new phone with cell service, I'd be shopping a water proof and rugged phone.  Good to see more mainstreaming of some --- wider availability.
Optimus V is huge, Just saying.

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
Does iOS7 perform well on the 4? 
Well it's alright. Things are a bit faster. I actually had a problem with my phone when I first installed it with people not being able to hear me on calls, but it fixed it self :p

wdq

Quade
My main phone is a Galaxy Nexus. It's getting pretty old, but it still manages to have up to date CyanogenMod ROMs so I don't see myself switching anytime soon. Especially since I don't use my phone for much more than calls, and for when I need to use the Internet away from a computer. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I had the same issue with mine and Kristi's.  Took a bit of trial and error before I realized the firmware was the issue... I don't remember exactly what I had to update first (I'll go digging for it today and see if I can find it for you), but there is something you have to install first before being able to throw on the bootloader and ROM.
Haha well I unlocked the bootloader (is that what they have you do first?) and the next step was to turn off S-On (to S-Off) and that's where I'm having issues.  If you don't mind I'd very much appreciate it ;)  I believe I have HBoot 1.27.0000.  

thekreek

Samsung Galaxy Ace (S5830L) with a moded rom (Andoid 4.2) and a Motorola E350.

Looking to upgrade to cost effective phone.

amuck-landowner