amuck-landowner

What tools are available to monitor for abuse?

vps24.net

Verified Provider
I prefer the zabbix + some custom scripts to keep focus on the params that are important for us.

Basically, focused on the disks I/O, network traffic, outgoing emails and drastically process count changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

nunim

VPS Junkie
Does that work for spam? Currently need a solution, narrowly avoided fines.
I've been utilizing SenderBase quite often lately, I've yet to see a false positive and it's easy to monitor large blocks of IP space for mail volumes and RBL listings.

HostNIT

Verified Provider
All of our VPS severs are tied to two separate networks via BGP. We monitor them hands on via our network ops center.

I have been asked this question by Colocation customers and my recommendation has been: WANGUARD, + a bunch of custom scripts that we offer to monitor trace routes, net loads, and custom scripts to monitor Cisco loads. These are all independent scripts that we developed and offer free of charge to Colo customers.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
The only false positives I get from NodePing are for our cPanel server when somebody decides to start up 200+ PHP processes but I'm sure we could adjust this or stop using HTTP Content monitor but this alert usually lets us know when to suspend an account that's under DOS attack.

If you want to read my review, I typed up a quick one here (I'm about due for a new write up just for NodePing): http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1288449
We've had more than a few cases where nodeping reports a node/router down all the while I'm logged into it working on something else. No lag, no loads, etc.

We ended up having to tune back the timeouts at nodeping to make it not freak out on us so much. We may build something down the road, not sure yet.

For nodeside monitoring we got our own platform dubbed monbot. It monitors the main things we care about. For network, ponynulld handles all that w/o much issue.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner