amuck-landowner

What virtualization are you using? OpenVZ, Xen, or KVM?

HostingAbove

Verified Provider
We're actually using XEN, Hyper-V, KVM, and OpenVZ, which all gives their benefits. Nice to see such a variation though from end-users and companies.

Melita

Hyper-V and VMWare on my windows desktop (for testing things).  :p

When it comes to VPS, I usually prefer to buy OpenVZ, since it's limitations doesn't bother my usual use case and I can get more from it (less memory and faster, provided no overselling). The only times I go to KVM is when I want some windows installed on it.

Tyler.S

Verified Provider
We are currently running OpenVZ with plans to switch all new nodes over to KVM. KVM just offers so much more, and provides a true dedicated server feeling. The differences is like running a shared cPanel server with and without Cloudlinux.

Echelon

Verified Provider
Surprised nobody made mention of BSD Jails. I've always had a rather soft spot in my heart for them, because they run quite well. That being said, it's a pain to get actual user restrictions in place for jails on a system. Other than that, they always run quite solid and with little to no headache.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I've moved everything over to KVM recently. I'm now using all KVM and One RamNode OVZ VM's. My nodes all run Proxmox and each VM is based off KVM.

prometeus

Verified Provider
We run vmware for corporate users, kvm - openvz - xen for the online sales.

I'm not an openvz lover, but it has places where it's good. For example other than for vps I use it on some clients deploy to run web cluster, separate streaming clients on the same hardware etc. 

I run xen (pv) since ages and it's good when performances are on top of your list.

KVM is a good compromise when you want to offer the max flexibility....

ServerBros

Verified Provider
We currently run with OpenVZ and KVM nodes, not really interested in branching out to XEN at this stage, the KVM ones have been really popular, with OpenVZ being slightly more popular to the average user due to cost, minus the ability to have your own kernel ofcourse.

willie

My personal vps's are mostly openvz.  The non-openvz ones might as well be openvz for now.  There are a few programs I'm interested in that require Xen, but I'm not actively using them yet.

Where I work we have a ton of Amazon EC2 instances and also some Rackspace Cloud, both of which use Xen.  We also use Vagrant, which relies on VirtualBox.  And we have a lot of LXC containers on both physical and virtual hosts.

I've been wondering about the future of OpenVZ since I think it depends on Linux 2.6.x kernels that are getting older.  Maybe they will migrate OpenVZ to newer kernels but it sounds difficult from what I've heard.

amuck-landowner