amuck-landowner

When will AMD back to market?

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
I still have a Dual AMD Opteron 265 box in colo running OpenVZ. Quite a nice box, though I'm probably going to replace it sooner with something a bit "newer-ish".

concerto49

Verified Provider
Like never. AMD's solution to solve the problem of finance and their troubles was to fire engineers and researcheres to cut cost. This killed their new products. It got delayed again and again. Sure, they're stepping up again, but it's very late. Glofo also seems to have enormous problems producing chips and has also added to AMD's issues by large.

AMD has shifted focus right now from high end CPUs and server stuff to low end APU type chips. They're trying to corner a market Intel hasn't gotten into yet.

Unless Glofo steps up the game quickly, AMD will find it hard to compete.

VPN.SH

I haven't used AMD in a long time :/. Hopefully they'll be able to figure something out over the next couple of years though and provide some real tough competition :)

dmmcintyre3

I have AMD as well 1090t here.
Same here. It's a great desktop CPU. I ended up paying only $400 for the mobo/cpu/ram/case/psu and threw in a few hard drives that were laying around the house and pulled a GPU from my brother's dead P4 desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Wow one of my first ever VPS Nodes was a AMD Phenom x4 :D  Used to perform pretty alright back then overselling wasn't an option.

Oh the days....

I'd like to see AMD return to the market with some serious server hardware, but ti depends on your needs.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
2) deal directly with electric utilities and get good rates as large industrial customers;
Data centers with any sense are besting large industrial customer rates.  Industrial rates are lower than consumer, but often not by a great enough margin.

KwH rates have stayed high and even with reduced demand and great availability of commodity generation fuels are still increasing on nearly annual basis.

Cogeneration of electric at large datacenters is going to be the next logical step. Gives more options, probably allows for wholesales/generator type rates and depending on placement might allow for local/regional direct piped fuel in the case of natural gas with all the shale development.

amuck-landowner