amuck-landowner

Where are you from?

Otakumatic

I live in Carmel, Indiana, USA, a town directly north of Indianapolis. A 2012 estimate puts our population around 84,500. It was originally founded as Bethlehem, Indiana, but there was already a town named that, so they re-named it to Carmel in the 1870's.

Carmel is home to many companies, including Conseco (now CNO Financial), ChaCha, Delta Faucet, and the diploma mill known as ITT Tech. It also is considered the "unofficial" capital of roundabouts in the USA, with the town having over 60 of them, which is funny considering Carmel was home to the first traffic light back in the 1920's.

You can read more about Carmel here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmel,_Indiana

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Melbourne, Australia. Home to >4 million, good food, great coffee, medium/low population density outside of the city centre, huge public transport network (trams, trains, buses). People are generally pretty cool, and it's one of the better places in the world to live long-term, as long as you don't mind the weather being totally unable to decide what it wants to be hour to hour.

Otakumatic

Melbourne, Australia. Home to >4 million, good food, great coffee, medium/low population density outside of the city centre, huge public transport network (trams, trains, buses). People are generally pretty cool, and it's one of the better places in the world to live long-term, as long as you don't mind the weather being totally unable to decide what it wants to be hour to hour.
Reminds me of Midwest weather (especially Indiana). Our weather stations are completely bullcrap though. For example, our NBC affiliate claims their radar has NO DELAY, when the least delay a radar tower can have is 5 SECONDS. They only do that cause they're one of two stations that do not source all their weather from the Indianapolis Intl. Airport data from the NWS, but from their own radar.

Also, I saw a study the other day saying my state is one of the least courteous, which I don't fit in cause I'm pretty nice LOL.

EDIT: Link to where I saw that last thing: http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/519b62c369bedd611b000011-1000-/rude_polite_ranking.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

I've never been to Australia but isn't there tons of things that could kill you there too?  Such as those insects from hell that could kill you, animals that could kill you, and in general isn't everything in Australia.  

Although I personally want to go to Melbourne and Sydney.  I hear the party scene there is fantastic!  

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Can you say three generations makes you 'from' a certain place? In that case I'm from England; in specific my family have lived and live around the borders of Essex (Chigwell, Buckhurst Hill etc).

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I live in the town of Nashua, NH. It's right on the New Hampshire-Massachusetts border. The population is very similar to @Otakumatic's, about 86,000. It's not a bad little town, all the usual stores and restaurants you'd expect. Nice and close to two airports: Manchester Regional, where I go for all flights in the U.S (easy security, not too crowded), and Boston Logan In'tl, for flights outside the continent. There's also a local airport for general aviation. Betcha didn't know I was in to aviation, didja? But I digress.

I like the balance of more "urban" areas (highly relative, not NYC here) to country. There are plenty of nice places for a walk in the woods, but like I said you have all the stores and stuff downtown. The weather is nice (if a bit cold in winter), out of the way of tornadoes, far enough inland that we won't see any tsunamis, and far enough north that hurricanes from Florida are just nasty rainstorms at the worst. No nearby fault lines.  Beach and Boston are an hour away if you're looking for some fun. There are some nearby mountains if you're in to some hiking, but the area is flat enough for a good bike ride too. Good public bus system (I ride free as a student), reasonable local taxes (no state sales tax in NH!), and lots of useful services like trash pickup and cheap water. Nashua was twice named "Best Place to Live in America" in annual surveys by Money magazine, in 1987 and '97. It's gone downhill somewhat, parts of downtown are poor and some crime, but nothing terrible. Overall, it's a great place to live IMHO.

Edit: Just thought I'd mention that the Internet situation is ok here, nothing great. Lots of DSL and Cable, although I actually have fiber from a company called Fairpoint. Not bad, I'm paying for the lowest speed, 5Mb/s up 2Mb/s down. I could get up to 30 up and 15 down. AFAIK no providers around here with native IPv6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hassan

Verified Provider
Detroit.

Nuff.

Just kidding, I live around 15 miles from Downtown Detroit in a smaller city, Dearborn.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
I've never been to Australia but isn't there tons of things that could kill you there too?  Such as those insects from hell that could kill you, animals that could kill you, and in general isn't everything in Australia.  
Yep. Also, dropbears.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Sydney, Australia is a place where the transport never works - the train breaks down every week and so do buses. The Internet is also slow. Sigh.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Hobart, Australia - Public transport is horrid, generally nothing to do and and the whole state of Tasmania has a population of around 500k. On the plus side though they have started laying down fiber for the NBN (http://www.nbn.gov.au/about-the-nbn/what-is-the-nbn/) in my area.
Yeah, Tas is a bit of a hole. But hey, at least you're not in Canberra! I'm about 20m outside the NBN test zone in Melbourne, which is fairly bollocks, although supposedly works in my area will be completed ~February 2014.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I guess I'll finally answer this.  I used to live in Northern Colorado, but now I live in Central Pennsylvania.

Funny thing, everyone here never says Pennsylvania.  We always say PA, the state initial.  Back in Colorado people never say "Yeah I'm from CO", they always say "I'm from Colorado".  Well, in Pennsylvania I've heard "I'm from PA" more than "I'm from Pennsylvania".  

Just a little observation.  

amuck-landowner