amuck-landowner

Which Linux distributions would you like want a template for?

fapvps

Verified Provider
Other than the most common distros ( Centos, Ubuntu Server, Debian) which distros would you like to have as a 1 click install template for your VPS?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Other than the most common distros ( Centos, Ubuntu Server, Debian) which distros would you like to have as a 1 click install template for your VPS?
Those are actually fine for me, though toss up some random application stacks on those distros to save customers time and you're set. (IMO).

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I tend to do KVM, so templates aren't really a factor.  For temporary dev/testing on OVZ though, the last two Stable Debians (and Gentoo where possible) are usually my choice.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
I like running the bare minimum installs of the favoured distros, believe it or not most people prefer those than say centos with httpd installed etc as you can configure them to how you need.

fapvps

Verified Provider
I like running the bare minimum installs of the favoured distros, believe it or not most people prefer those than say centos with httpd installed etc as you can configure them to how you need.
This is pretty much what we offer now for the KVM plans. All the templates are made in house with minimal installation so users can re-image their KVM instance with 1 click to a fresh minimal install. Will probably add Debian 6 next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
If you're doing KVM, I'd suggest offering the netinstall ISOs for the major distros as well.  Some folks (like myself, and I'm sure others) don't always go for 'minimal' or other prebaked templates, as we prefer having a fresh install that nobody else has had hands on.  Not insinuating that you would ever do such a thing - just remarking that you're bound to have clients that don't trust premade builds not to have flaws/exploits :3

fapvps

Verified Provider
If you're doing KVM, I'd suggest offering the netinstall ISOs for the major distros as well.  Some folks (like myself, and I'm sure others) don't always go for 'minimal' or other prebaked templates, as we prefer having a fresh install that nobody else has had hands on.  Not insinuating that you would ever do such a thing - just remarking that you're bound to have clients that don't trust premade builds not to have flaws/exploits :3
We provide and mount any iso upon request. Unfortunately we do not have a way for clients to mount their own iso yet but we usually respond to these requests fast.

wcypierre

not sure if you allow VPN or IRC and such or not, but if you'd provide a template with IRC and/or VPN support out of the box or with very minimal configuration, it would definitely delight quite some users as some newbies buy vps because they wanted to use VPNs(I don't IRC but I do use VPNs) :)

*troll mode* weekly/monthly archlinux template ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I like to see Debian MINIMAL.  

Also nice to see ready made appliances like the Turnkey Linux distros.

kunnu

Verified Provider
I Like Ubuntu Desktop version and CentOS for server.

One of my hard disk was died so I lost my Ubuntu iso(hard disk status show "null") :(

wcypierre

another one, if you can provide ubuntu kaylin for the plans with higher specs, then you may be able to target the chinese markets :)

amuck-landowner