amuck-landowner

WHMCS exploit involving Stripe payments?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Someone sent me something this morning...

They have ongoing fraud/hack situation involving WHMCS and Stripe payments.

The hack involves generated credit cards that seem to get through Stripe as valid.

The orders are identifiable as certain fields in the account info are ALL CAPS.

So far the hacks have generated accounts with info in Utah.

Details of the account info are different account holder information along with different credit card used.

Anyone else seeing a similar issue?

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Doesn't Stripe have a set of default of card details you can use for testing?

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Doesn't Stripe have a set of default card details you can use for testing?
common testing card numbers used by most gateways:

Credit Card Type

Credit Card Number

American Express

American Express

American Express Corporate

Australian BankCard

Diners Club

Diners Club

Discover

Discover

JCB

JCB

MasterCard

MasterCard

Visa

Visa

Visa

Visa

Dankort (PBS)

Dankort (PBS)

Switch/Solo (Paymentech)

SkylarM

Verified Provider
The test cards only work when you have your stripe gateway set to "test" pretty sure.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
SWEET, now I get to look through all my stripe orders. 
Shouldn't be hard ALL CAPS is the fingerprint on these attempts --- in selected fields... Not all fields.

Accounts were set with Utah addresses. 

Believe there were prior attempts in past weeks with Peru addresses also.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
The one that looks suspicious is from China and they used their full China address. Also stripe verifies the card has china origin. I will refund to be safe, it was a $2 order so I can always open a ticket and ask more info. If no response then I will take that as a sign. Always happy to work with people who open and respond to communication. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
More info on these transactions:

1. The orders mostly had UTAH in all caps in order details.

2. The details on the person ordering the service were accurate.  They are real people.  Phone numbers even match per se (although old).

3. The cards being used are STOLEN and reported as such in the past.  Meaning Visa/Mastercard/etc. already have these accounts flagged in the system(s).

4. https://stripe.com/ = the payment gateway and they SUCK.  Stripe totally pushed the accounts/transactions through as totally valid.   Address and such info they claimed all matched.  Amazingly, they seem to not even run the transaction through standard clearing methods... They must just be using the mod formula to "fake validate" the cards.

5.  The IPs of the people doing these transactions =

2 Comcast IPs (actually in Utah and not on any block/hack lists)

1 Web hosting provider

1 is Cogent line in Georgia, USA

concerto49

Verified Provider

2. The details on the person ordering the service were accurate.  They are real people.  Phone numbers even match per se (although old).

3. The cards being used are STOLEN and reported as such in the past.  Meaning Visa/Mastercard/etc. already have these accounts flagged in the system(s).

4. https://stripe.com/ = the payment gateway and they SUCK.  Stripe totally pushed the accounts/transactions through as totally valid.   Address and such info they claimed all matched.  Amazingly, they seem to not even run the transaction through standard clearing methods... They must just be using the mod formula to "fake validate" the cards.

1 Web hosting provider

Can you contact Stripe and let them know?

tchen

You might be stumbling across this gem

https://support.stripe.com/questions/cvc-or-avs-failed-but-payment-succeeded

Also, Stripe.com does not do phone numbers.  All it handles per card are name, address-lines, cvc, zip code.  Even then, not all card banks verify all fields, and the API only tells you about cvc, address line 1, and zip results.  Added to that, some banks will oddly pass a card despite it all, at least according to the above knowledge base topic.

This is something you should take up with the author of the contrib module jclark.  I'm not sure what fields he's actually checking as a 'pass'.  There's probably some soft-fail combination that's slipping through. 

In the mean time, the least you could do is try setting it to hard-fail on AVS/CVC failures. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@tchen, I looked at the Stripe link.  In this instance Stripe verified address and zip as valid.  They also verified card itself as valid (even though all of them were reported stolen).

Since Stripe passed the info, I assume it's them and not the plugin/payment API piece.  If it wasn't for manual approvals, these orders would have been auto fulfilled and who knows what they would have been used for.

ComputerTrophy

1 Web hosting provider

From a warranty security researcher's point of view, they could be using a VCC with $1 or so just to pass the pre-auth, which may explain UTAH. Can you PM me the addres? It may be that they're using a mail forwarding address as well.

amuck-landowner