WHMCS Pricing Change?

Discussion in 'Operating a Hosting Business' started by River, Sep 6, 2017.

1. River

River Member Verified Provider

May 3, 2015
    I didn't notice until now, when I was looking for pricing on the WHMCS for licenses that they changed their pricing model in July to a 'tiered' model. It looks like their pricing went up too for the basic, that they cap at 250 clients, their next tier at 1000, and then finally the unlimited for almost $40/month.

This kinda pisses me off. I'd understand if they did a cheaper plan, say $5/month for companies with less than 250 clients, but the price increase and the tiers just is bad business. I hope a lot of people switch to blesta, I know I'll be switching over.

2. CenTex Hosting

CenTex Hosting Member Verified Provider

Dec 22, 2015
    They sent out several notices way before they did the price change. The way I look at it is its just another license fee like cpanel and so on. Now with changing the pricing means we get more updates and new things added then I have no issue with it.

If you look at the biggest change is the auto update. The amount of time this saves you more than enough covers the difference in price. Just my 2 cents

3. River

River Member Verified Provider

May 3, 2015
    I still think it's bad practice to make changes like that - There are other revenue streams they could have explored before imposing a client limit. Just my opinion though.

4. zomgmike

zomgmike Member Verified Provider

Jul 17, 2013
    It's less strict than Ubersmith, at least, who limits other things like seats and devices in addition to clients (last I checked, at least.)

5. Criot

Criot Member Verified Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    Don't forget that it's active clients, so if you have the settings in place which changes clients to 'inactive' when they have no products or services, this decreases the amount counting toward the limit.

For most it's not going to be a significant increase, and most already have owned licenses in place anyway, but in reality if you're using WHMCS for your business and have over 1000 clients, you should really be able to fork out $40 a month for quite a vital part of your business very easily.

6. LiamCyrus

LiamCyrus Member Verified Provider

Oct 25, 2013
    After having to spend hours completely re-setting up my WHMCS environment (new server, reinstall nginx, php, mariadb, plugins, APIs, etc.) on two separate occasions because of their auto-updating failing and corrupting everything, I am absolutely never using that atrocity again.