amuck-landowner

WHMCS to double their price of owned licenses.

Licensecart

I believe you can still get the small version and security patches (ie: 5.3.13 --> 5.3.14) even without having the support & updates active.

But yeah, I also disagree with this price increase and can't find any grounds to justify it out of the blue like that.

It's gotten to the point where owning a license isn't much different than leasing one... I mean you're making an investment that has the ROI in 22 months to save up $7 bucks per month afterwards...
I've heard stuff on other sites that WHMCS muck up patching and when the product versions goes end of life... you are then screwed (again). $7 two cups of coffee saving a month :D

Last edited by a moderator:

coreyman

Verified Provider
I believe you can still get the small version and security patches (ie: 5.3.13 --> 5.3.14) even without having the support & updates active.

But yeah, I also disagree with this price increase and can't find any grounds to justify it out of the blue like that.

It's gotten to the point where owning a license isn't much different than leasing one... I mean you're making an investment that has the ROI in 22 months to save up $7 bucks per month afterwards...
Last time my security and support updates lapsed I wasn't able to access any downloads.

Licensecart

Then again I could be waiting 20 years for them to show them us, not sure how any one can really trust them:

Version 5.3.6
Release Type: SECURITY RELEASE
Release Date: 25th March 2014
Security
Case #3982 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4057 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4161 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4172 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4175 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4180 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4186 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4187 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4194 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4202 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4256 - Details to be released at a later date
Case #4311 - Details to be released at a later date

http://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V5.3#Security_3

So when's the later date? 2017? 2020?

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
So when's the later date? 2017? 2020?
I'd say don't hold your breath.

For some reason I tend to think there could still be lots of WHMCS clients running outdated versions, which would be a valid reason not to make that info public... I'm not sure if their licensing system also sends back the WHMCS version the client is running, but if it does they would clearly have an idea on the percentage of users running outdated versions.

Licensecart

I'd say don't hold your breath.

For some reason I tend to think there could still be lots of WHMCS clients running outdated versions, which would be a valid reason not to make that info public... I'm not sure if their licensing system also sends back the WHMCS version the client is running, but if it does they would clearly have an idea on the percentage of users running outdated versions.
The one I linked to was patched in 2014... it's now mid 2015, if they are outdated and have owned they probably won't update at $100 a year lol.

Even ClientExec tells their customers what was fixed: https://forum.clientexec.com/index.php?threads/security-alerts.3029/

kunnu

Verified Provider
WHMCS is weird and their every policy(including pricing) is dynamic.

In March I was open a ticket with WHMCS for developer license and they told me "congratulations, you are elegible for dev license"

After 2 or 3 month they suspend my developer license so I ask them why you suspend my license and they reply me "You are not elegible for developer license"

:popcorn:

Serveo

Verified Provider
We currently are investigating to more to Blesta as soon as there is a working Onapp solution. Why?

1) Life time license, when I bought WHMCS back in the days it came with a lifetime license deal. What? Yes, just fixed price which included UPDATES. But what the heck, I'll pay for updates.

2) Moving from fixed to monthly billing. Last years they move a lot of services to a monthly recurring fee. e.g. iWHCS / aWHMCS. Both where fixed priced applications before. Yet after upgrading to still a shitty as hell app they are now monthly billing it.

3) Partnering to generate extra license income on 3rd party apps. This is what happened with us regarding the LiveHelp "add-on". We ran an owned license for many years which we bought directly at Stardevelop for ~$250 I believe. As the partner / integration / add-on was announce we could without any problem use the integrated solution. Update after update. Yet suddenly with the modules update, somewhere in 5.3.x I believe it was, WHMCS locked out all indirect sold livehelp licenses (read non WHMCS add-ons). After 5 support tickets with WHMCS and Stardevelop I decided to just purchase the bloody add-on as my time is worth more and we where talking about what, ~$60?

4) Add-ons. A lot of features are not even included by WHMCS itself. Most of them are 3rd party and which each update randomly things break. I even see people saying above that WHMCS is so feature rich? Really? The features are indeed included but all are so minimal! Wow, they got an affiliate module, well guys have you seen how basic it is or what about the promotion module? When we work with multiple staff departments we can't even have different auto responder templates for each department. Really? Oh, I almost forgot about the invoice numbering, and lets just forget about the "carts"... One day I was checking their uservoice requests and was shocked how slow things are moving.

5) BUGS. Well I can understand bugs and cope with it. But if we are opening tickets for over a year about one and the same problems my patience ends. Since a year we see problems like:

- Skipping a periods

- Period changes

- Discount changes

- Discount not been applied

In other words we lose money. After 5 support tickets WHMCS finally wants to investigate our setup and confirms it is bug #CORE-7379. NO ETA will be given for a solution. Like wow, these are CORE tasks of the system. We use WHMCS to take care of our administration instead we are auditing our administration each week and lose customers by incorrect invoicing...

6) Security. Widely named problem, hey who cares about the random guys trying to do the WHT 0 day exploits? :/

Just my 50 cents on experience with WHMCS.

iFi Host

I Think this price increasing decision is made for New WHMCS 6.0 with new features and big changes.

but the price is not reflect for us. we are still provide whmcs for free with our services. =)

Licensecart

I Think this price increasing decision is made for New WHMCS 6.0 with new features and big changes.

but the price is not reflect for us. we are still provide whmcs for free with our services. =)
I dowt it, if anything a mate of mine was right and it's to pay for all the bug reports on bug crowd, they need money to pay them. the only big change so far is their UI and cPanel improvement (which I think is stupid) but hey.

iFi Host

I dowt it, if anything a mate of mine was right and it's to pay for all the bug reports on bug crowd, they need money to pay them. the only big change so far is their UI and cPanel improvement (which I think is stupid) but hey.
Hey. I Said They are not changed our reseller price.

mitgib

Verified Provider
WHMCS is 50% owned by cPanel, so hardly stupid

amuck-landowner