amuck-landowner

WHMCS v6 has been released

danielm

WHMCS version 6.0 is now available per http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=102658

I have yet to update my dev install from an early beta, so I can't speak to any issues, but I'll be waiting for a few inevitable updates before using it in production.

EDIT: Looks like their servers are getting hammered. Download is barely moving and their site is giving some CloudFlare 503's.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExonHost

Verified Provider
Got email two hours ago, nothing very exciting. I'll wait a bit until I put it into production

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
That's not you slagging off WHMCS again is it?

Surprised there isn't a link to Blesta in your post.

Licensecart

That's not you slagging off WHMCS again is it?

Surprised there isn't a link to Blesta in your post.
Don't need to slag them off they damage themselves I'm just enjoying the view... you tried it yet or too scared due to their past? Someone on WHT has to update their custom addons because they don't work on V6, there's a bug, there's a SQL injection not fixed yet otherwise WHMCS hasn't stated anything about it. The BitPay module broken due to the dbconnect. What's next?

mitgib

Verified Provider
Well, I tried it on acrosvm.com and it failed on the chinese characters, hope they get it fixed before 5.3 hits EOL

Code:
Version 5.3 - End of Life Date: 31st October 2015

DamienSB

Verified Provider
Should wait a few weeks before the update. Let everyone else enjoy the new "features" before the next maintenance release.

@Licensecart, dayssincelastwhmcsexploit.com is available. 

Licensecart

Should wait a few weeks before the update. Let everyone else enjoy the new "features" before the next maintenance release.

@Licensecart, dayssincelastwhmcsexploit.com is available. 
Bit hard to judge since they use the bug crowd.com/whmcs now but when the SQL injection was reported on twitter (he got 1.2K) it went from 56 bugs to 58… I do own whmcs.rip but whmcs own .fail and .wtf.

Tyler

Unfortunately bugs can be extremely difficult to find and track, especially in a piece of software as diverse as WHMCS. It's an all in one solution, or as I prefer to call it, a jack of all trades and master of none (more on that in an upcoming post).

It has its problems, but the truth of the matter is that it's the only mature piece of software that has enough community support.

Community support is crucial when it comes to adding new modules and features. If I asked you to point me to similar software that has the same number of provisioning modules and gateway modules (produced both by the community and by WHMCS directly) as WHMCS, I'd switch away from it immediately. Community support extends past that, too. There's a distinct familiarity that those in the hosting segment have with WHMCS. I remember trying ClientExec when helping a friend and it was a terrible experience. 

I think WHMCS has become considerably better in terms of testing its software since being sold to cPanel. I don't remember the last serious security problem that WHMCS had.

Regarding Blesta (tagging @Licensecart so he can weigh in for a friendly discussion), there are a lot of features that I love, like:

• Admins can opening a support ticket using a predefined response (this is awesome for abuse stuff)
  • Great admin area design
  • The 'view client' page is awesome
  • Beautiful order forms
  • Amazing reseller program. Bulk licenses are unimaginably cheap and significantly cheaper than WHMCS

qSrFbeE.png

Blesta View client page

Now here's why Blesta isn't quite ready for my use:

• It's a well thought-out product, but it's light on real-life needed features. I want to see more reporting -- and not just billing reporting. It should have all the reports provided by WHMCS, and then some (e.g. ability to view all replies by a single staff member, another thing WHMCS is missing)
  • I don't see the ability to log in as the client. This is something that is needed from time-to-time when invoicing gets hairy (although, one would hope it wouldn't if blesta did its job properly)
  • Ticketing system would be amazing if it had ticket timers (timers to re-open a ticket) and auto-escalations, some of the more advanced features provided by Kayako. WHMCS vanilla, built-in support is seriously lacking for any growing company that takes its support seriously.
  • I would like to see at-a-glance (customizable) stuff in the header like Support Tickets and Pending Orders... it would be great if these could be customized to provide other statistics like average response time and average orders per day
  • There is a small community of Blesta users which makes me uncertain about it. Of course, this is one of those "critical mass" things, but the features provided so far are not enough to make me take the plunge.
In my book, it just needs some more time in development. It's a contender, but it needs to have something new to it.  That's my two cents.

Licensecart

Unfortunately bugs can be extremely difficult to find and track, especially in a piece of software as diverse as WHMCS. It's an all in one solution, or as I prefer to call it, a jack of all trades and master of none (more on that in an upcoming post).

It has its problems, but the truth of the matter is that it's the only mature piece of software that has enough community support.

Community support is crucial when it comes to adding new modules and features. If I asked you to point me to similar software that has the same number of provisioning modules and gateway modules (produced both by the community and by WHMCS directly) as WHMCS, I'd switch away from it immediately. Community support extends past that, too. There's a distinct familiarity that those in the hosting segment have with WHMCS. I remember trying ClientExec when helping a friend and it was a terrible experience.
I agree, the only issue I have with their security is they claim to tell you later what the security bugs where but they don't 2014 security update is still hidden…

I think WHMCS has become considerably better in terms of testing its software since being sold to cPanel. I don't remember the last serious security problem that WHMCS had.
WHMCS wasn't sold mate, it's 49% cPanel 51% Matt (WHMCS)

• It's a well thought-out product, but it's light on real-life needed features. I want to see more reporting -- and not just billing reporting. It should have all the reports provided by WHMCS, and then some (e.g. ability to view all replies by a single staff member, another thing WHMCS is missing)
True you can make custom reports now and use the pre-made ones I'm not sure how hard it is to make a pre-made one but Paulov on the forums made one for VatMoss. I don't use reports myself.

• I don't see the ability to log in as the client. This is something that is needed from time-to-time when invoicing gets hairy (although, one would hope it wouldn't if blesta did its job properly)
Client Account > Account actions (left drop down box on the preview you have and it has "Login as a Client".

• Ticketing system would be amazing if it had ticket timers (timers to re-open a ticket) and auto-escalations, some of the more advanced features provided by Kayako. WHMCS vanilla, built-in support is seriously lacking for any growing company that takes its support seriously.
Coming soon in: CORE-1075

Not sure about Auto-escalations.

• I would like to see at-a-glance (customizable) stuff in the header like Support Tickets and Pending Orders... it would be great if these could be customized to provide other statistics like average response time and average orders per day

You can make a widget for that, or maybe someone can :) Naja7host made a private encrypted notes widget.

• There is a small community of Blesta users which makes me uncertain about it. Of course, this is one of those "critical mass" things, but the features provided so far are not enough to make me take the plunge.

Hopefully the community grows more.

trueman1

Verified Provider
whmcs 6 is a brand new version that don't support php code inside templates,

also all whmcs addon will not work,

and all the new bags,

i think we should wait at least 6 months before even considering using this.

Jive

There's an option to allow PHP in templates which is off by default. Simple enough to turn back on if you really need it.

I do agree it's likely for the best to be hesitant pushing this to production so soon though.

Scopehosts

Verified Provider

also all whmcs addon will not work,

and all the new bags,

i think we should wait at least 6 months before even considering using this.
Same here would be waiting for some more months to see the bugs appearing on WHMCS 6. 

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Don't forget about all the people that use different modules for hosting from modulesgarden the list below is current for what works with whmcs 6.0

We are currently in the middle of verification and development of fixes for the modules which do not support the newest version of WHMCS yet.

Here is the list of our modules which already support WHMCS 6.0:

Support Tickets Displayer For WHMCS v 1.0.1

SoftLayer For WHMCS v 1.0.2

Payment Gateway Switcher For WHMCS v 1.0.0

Product Linker For WHMCS v 1.2.0

ModulesGarden Widget For WHMCS v 1.0.2

Hosting Quota Notifications For WHMCS v 1.0.0

Hosting Renewals For WHMCS v 2.5.4

Domains Reseller For WHMCS v 1.5.0

Clients Profiler For WHMCS v 1.2.0

cPanel Extended For WHMCS v 2.6.0 (Coming Soon) 

I would wait a few months to upgrade to make sure everything is working correctly, I am still waiting on a few bugs to get fixed.

Tyler

Promised:

http://docs.whmcs.com/Version_6.0_Release_Notes#Modules_Compatibility

All modules that are compatible with WHMCS V5.x will still be compatible with V6.0.

We have taken great care to ensure that despite considerable under the hood changes that have gone into 6.0, all previous publicly documented API methods and functions remain available and unchanged from before.
Reality:

Don't forget about all the people that use different modules for hosting from modulesgarden the list below is current for what works with whmcs 6.0

We are currently in the middle of verification and development of fixes for the modules which do not support the newest version of WHMCS yet.

Here is the list of our modules which already support WHMCS 6.0:

Support Tickets Displayer For WHMCS v 1.0.1

SoftLayer For WHMCS v 1.0.2

Payment Gateway Switcher For WHMCS v 1.0.0

Product Linker For WHMCS v 1.2.0

ModulesGarden Widget For WHMCS v 1.0.2

Hosting Quota Notifications For WHMCS v 1.0.0

Hosting Renewals For WHMCS v 2.5.4

Domains Reseller For WHMCS v 1.5.0

Clients Profiler For WHMCS v 1.2.0

cPanel Extended For WHMCS v 2.6.0 (Coming Soon) 

I would wait a few months to upgrade to make sure everything is working correctly, I am still waiting on a few bugs to get fixed.

Jive

amuck-landowner