amuck-landowner

Who was your first VPS provider?

Hxxx

GoDaddy  way back . I remember the hot models in the ads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
BurstNET OpenVZ.

I know...   ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

clarity

My very first VPS was with BuyVM. I haven't been in the VPS game for that many years. I had a server before a VPS and that was with WANSecurity.

Hxxx

Noted: UFOs and hot girl models sell VPS.
Not exactly my reason. But I have to admit, while it did cost them some customers,[ it was a risky move ],  most of their client base just became customer because of the impact of their godaddy v1 ads. The type of customer they were aiming was the non technical.

But well, "ITS GO TIME!" 

LiamCyrus

Verified Provider
123systems.net

Admittedly they were pretty bad and had terrible uptime, but they were all I knew at the time. And they were dirt, dirt cheap. Like $3 VPS' before anybody else offered anything like that. But yeah, that was back when I was all about hosting Minecraft servers.

Leyton

Verified Provider
My first was HostV (VPS side of Cirtex) in December of 2007. They were bought by A Small Orange/HostNine a few years back.
Same here, though I can't remember quite when it was. Thinking somewhere around December 2008, perhaps later.

It was something like $300-400/yr for a 512MB (1GB burstable) Virtuozzo VPS with 50GB storage, 100MBPS for ~500GB/mo, cPanel + R1Soft backup + Full Management.

The server performed well enough for what was needed, but after being burned by total data loss, including R1Soft backups, we parted ways.

Munzy

Linode was one of my first providers, still love them to this day.

The other was CVPS and Alienvps. Nearly refuse to do business with both at this point.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
My first commercial vps provider was vpscheap.net in 2011: http://web.archive.org/web/20110927081956/http://vpscheap.net/

OpenVZ Linux VPS 1
128MB RAM 256MB burstable
15GB RAID 6 space
10Mbit/s
1 IP Address
Full root access

$3.99 per month.

Terrible network speed and capped I/O. But a great playground - reinstalled it once a week.

More than one year later I took a better choice and bought three vps from Frantech and Secure Dragon - still using them.

mikeyur

Verified Provider
Probably JaguarPC or HostDime, was running a tiny shared hosting company with a friend in 2006-ish. Then SliceHost for unmanaged in 07.

JahAGR

BurstNet in... 2009? 2010?

Not a good experience although it did last a while before before I started to experience the horrors that others had described

amuck-landowner