amuck-landowner

WHT Down

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I can't connect to WebHostingTalk. I get connection refused. I'm not an active member myself, but that's a big forum to go down.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Eh, I'm sure it's nothing. Probably someone just tripped over a cable or something... :lol: ... or the on-duty admin isn't very good with buttons... who knows :p

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I think they've been getting some big floods that is causing their BGP session to drop. Every time I see WHT go down their BGP entries are missing.

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I see they've gotten some new ad spots on the sidebar. Always been there or new? Maybe took it down for maintenance?

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Tbh, wht lost hefty amount of premium and corporate members and some of us know why. So something has to cover the los, hence more ad. Makes sense ;)

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
For the past few years most of my traffic to WHT is just to make sure nobody is talking shit on my company.  Frankly, it's a bore to me.  I don't care about web hosting, only virtualization.

In fact, I mentioned WHT being down to my girlfriend earlier, and she was like "people still care about that forum?"

Last edited by a moderator:

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Wait you have a girlfriend...?  and she knows what WHT is?  Interesting :)
Yeah, a nerd girlfriend.  Rare species, I know.

Actually, a lot of people know what WHT is, and go there to look up reviews on hosts before buying.  I think that a much smaller percentage of WHT's eyeball count actually post there.  That's basically, the only reason why I care at all about WHT -- simply to make sure that nobody is complaining about my products there, and if so, to make sure it is resolved sooner than later.

Take for example that Zamfoo thread a while back, a lot of people looking to use Zamfoo will likely look for reviews on WHT and find it.  So, a bad interaction on WHT can have devastating effects for your business.  I suspect most of the other virtualization providers give about the same amount of care that I do regarding WHT -- it's mostly a webhosting forum, virtualization discussion was really just tacked on.

I hope that vpsBoard, or something like it, replaces WHT as a good source of reviews for virtualization, as most of the people on WHT who talk virtualization have really no clue what they are doing...

SeriesN

Verified Provider
TLDR;

• You pays money and get nothing much for it.
  • You pays money and get treated like shit by the staff
  • You pays money and get ignored by the staff
  • You pays money and your offer posts are quickly lost to the myriad of complete and utter shite.
snouty-pride-thats-not-all-folks-snoutypig.png

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
TLDR;

• You pays money and get nothing much for it.
  • You pays money and get treated like shit by the staff
  • You pays money and get ignored by the staff
  • You pays money and your offer posts are quickly lost to the myriad of complete and utter shite.
That's essentially why I quit paying them $300/year or whatever it was for "corporate membership" when I ran RapidXen.  And, I certainly have no intention to ever do that again in the future.

Seeing your offer posts get buried by summer hosts and people just working as hard as they can to take the virtualization industry to the bottom with Walmart-esque pricing tactics is just insulting when you're trying to do this for real.

I don't think we ever got any tangible benefit from trying to support WHT with a corporate subscription.  At least, nobody ever came to me and said "I bought your service because you had a corporate member badge" like they claimed people would.

amuck-landowner