amuck-landowner

Why do hackers think all LEB hosts are ran by 13 year olds?

Otakumatic

Seriously, out of all these SolusVM, WHMCS, etc. hackers, most of the hackers seem to think all low-cost VPS hosts are ran by clueless 13 year olds. There's a word for that: SUMMER HOSTS.

Low cost does not equal kid-ran, in my opinion. I know it does most of the time with summer hosts, but there are reputable hosts not ran by kids (BuyVM, RamNode, etc).

What's your two cents on these hackers seeming to think that LEB hosts are ran by little kids?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
It's mostly used as a method to provoke the owner(s) and the staff, and is used as an attempt to anger them.  That's it.  It's the equivalent of calling you stupid.  They actually don't believe that you're a clueless 13 year old kid.

Edit:  And by recognizing them (e.g. responding to them and such) you're feeding their need to be the center of attention.  That's mostly what it's about.  Unless of course they have an alternative motive (e.g. revenge).  

Last edited by a moderator:

EarthVPN

How to become the CEO of your very own VPS hosting company in ten easy steps and for under $200.
Step #1: Purchase a dedicated server from one of the many of cheap datacenters. Datashack can get you started with something for under $100/month.

Step #2: Get yourself a domain and a PayPal account. Under $10.

Step #3: Get yourself a template from themeforest.com. Under $15.

Step #4. Make sure you use the words "we" and "CEO" as many times as possible when editing the template.

Step #5: Install SolusVM. $10.

Step #6: Install WHMCS. $12.

Step #7: Create a Twitter and Facebook page. Head over to fiverr.com and pay a few people to add thousands of likes to your page and followers to your Twitter. Potential clients will definitely sign-up for your service when they see how many other people are following you. You're legit now. Under $20.

Step #8: Create some $1/month Open-VZ plans and post on LET/WHT.

Step #9: Sell out of plans.

Step #10: Sit back and relax. Be proud of yourself. You can now tell everyone you know that you're a CEO and your business is in high demand.

Bonus step: Now that you're a successful businessman, hit up some forums and pretend to know what you're talking about. Let everyone know that you built your business with hard work and care about your customers. Unlike the other web hosting companies out there, you're in this for the long haul and have a solid business plan.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Probably because there is a much higher percentage of kid ran 'hosts' in the low end market, but certainly not all low end hosts are that way.

wget http://soluslabs.com/installers/solusvm/install
chmod 755 install
./install

Too easy to install SolusVM and OpenVZ and offer VPSes from some cheap promotional dedicated server.

Mun

Never Forget
I could run a host, but.... I don't like the crying of all you whiners.

Yours truly,

Mun

willie

You could take overselling to its logical conclusion and not even bother with dedicated servers.  Just get a KVM somewhere (CVPS has some cheap ones) and put all your VPS's under it.  The only bottleneck will be ipv4 addresses.  There has to be a way around that too.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh god. Yes, lets split up KVM's into OpenVZ servers.

BRB, starting a host.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
And for the record, I don't have a problem with teenagers in the industry. I think it's great when people want to learn. Hire them when available / allowed to as low level support reps. Have them work on solving issues and learning how a business is ran. That's fine. If they've got a genuine interest, great.

But because someone had a VPS for 4 months and thinks to themselves, 'Wow, I could sell these myself'... Well, yeah... I'd avoid at all costs.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Oh god. Yes, lets split up KVM's into OpenVZ servers. BRB, starting a host.
@MannDude for latge servers like E5s with 128GB RAM or more and large RAID 10 or RAID 50 arrays it's actually a good idea to partition the server into smaller ones and deploy OpenVZ inside KVM virtual dedicated servers. OpenVZ is not real virtualization, so it doesn't have any overhead. I still don't see why some people have made a big deal out of this... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'm hoping that new buy it up host company in Houston isn't going the way of others before them.

If I didn't spot them early and had stumbled into their "shell" operating companies down the road, I'd be mighty suspicious.  But, they seem to be going public on their own site at least with owned companies.

Folks doing this need to cross brand the subsidiaries.  Simply stated, ABCVPS when bought should append to state ABCVPS, a _____ owned company. Linking there to the parent company.   Full transparency both directions.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
On reflection, Rus and Chris would be a great partnership.  Rus creates overnight companies, rents hardware, builds up clients.  Dumps the whole thing to Chris, who absorbs into CVPS/CC.  Rinse, repeat.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
On reflection, Rus and Chris would be a great partnership. Rus creates overnight companies, rents hardware, builds up clients. Dumps the whole thing to Chris, who absorbs into CVPS/CC. Rinse, repeat.
@Aldryic C'boas what would you estimate that the ROI is on operations like these?

amuck-landowner