amuck-landowner

Why Mac is the best OS

GIANT_CRAB

Mac > Windows > Linux

I know, it's not what you want to hear. But Mac OS is stable, secure, and has tons of free, easy to use, and open sourced software. There's really no reason to use Windows or Linux, which aren't as easy to use.

Mac is more secure than Windows
Mac is easier to use than any build of Linux
Mac IS Unix
Mac has open source elements
Mac software is easier to use, better looking, and cheaper.
You can run any windows or linux program in Mac, through the use of Wine or Crossover, or, worse case scenario, virtualization.
There's more software for Windows than Mac, however, it's mostly crapware. Free software for Linux or Windows pales in comparison to Mac software

More game developers are producing for mac now too.

Macs, with their new use of the gpu as a general cpu (Snow Leopard), are faster

And, as for hardware:
Macs last longer than PC hardware
Macs have better components
Line up the features of a Mac to a PC, and the Mac is cheaper
Macs are thinner, lighter, and have longer battery life
Macs have better support, and MUCH better customer service

Business wise:
Mac market share is growing
The economy has hurt all the other manufacturers much more than Apple
40% of college students want an Apple branded computer, which is much higher than any other brand desired. (Up against HP, Dell, etc).

And if you don't like Mac, it's just because you're too afraid to switch.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Incoming raging fanboys that religiously demand that everyone share their opinions.

But yes I agree. The average linux or windows fanboy can't handle BSD because they can't always google the answer as easily.

GIANT_CRAB

The average linux or windows fanboy can't handle BSD because they can't always google the answer as easily.
I'll like to interject for a moment.

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.

Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it.

Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.

The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system.

Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux.

All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Thus, you should be saying something like RHEL/Debian/Gentoo fanboys.

Last edited by a moderator:

jarland

The ocean is digital
You're on top of your game this morning. I like it.

GIANT_CRAB

You're on top of your game this morning. I like it.
I'm really sure what you're trying to say but personally I am a full-on MacFaggot.

I don't give a fuck about gaming and most Windows based hardware can't into multi-touch as well as Apple, so that's my excuse.

Also, I have always felt the mouse-cursor connection on Windows machines is clunky, jerky, not as smooth as Apple.

I taught myself the Mac OS starting in 1984 when it came out, but I had to go to school to learn DOS.

In the early 90's, Windows wasn't taken seriously, yet, for business, and real men used a command-line interface.

GUIs were children's toys. I had more than one prof tell me this.

Mac is definitely the best OS, I've got iPhone 3, iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4s and iPhone5.

All the servers I have are running on OSX and my laptop is running on Snow Leopard.

Its really easy for me because its all in one, even the television.

All the Apple products are great and high quality.

I mean, you can't see Dell, Asus, Acer and HP to produce such high quality products.

Asus products are so lousy but they are not as bad as computer companies(System76) who are selling Ubuntu computers.

The reason why Apple is so successful is because of their beautiful Mac OS.

So let me re-illiterate myself: Mac > Windows > Linux

jarland

The ocean is digital
Only snow leopard on the laptop? Mavericks is incredible. I've seen about a 20 degree (F) average temperature drop on my iMac and MacBook, as well as huge performance gains.

fisle

Running Windows 7, with Debian on Virtualbox and OS X 10.8 on VMWare

get on my level

fisle

Is OS X really usable without QE/CI acceleration on VMWare?

Depends what you need it for. I don't use it that much, just basic testing how things work under OS X compared to windows+linux. Perfectly usable for me.

GIANT_CRAB

Running Windows 7, with Debian on Virtualbox and OS X 10.8 on VMWare

get on my level
VMWare is the worst virtualisation software I've ever seen.

Parallels on the other hand is the best.

Why?

Parallels Desktop for Mac allows me to seamlessly run both Windows and Mac OS X Lion applications side-by-side with speed, control and confidence. 

Unlike VMWare, I have to wait for the box to boot and it takes time.

Time is money, so VMWare is actually stealing my money.

I've filed several lawsuits against VMWare before with regards to them steal my money.

The lawsuits were resolved but they didn't even compensate half of how much money they have stolen from me.

Why?

Because VMWare is collapsing from too many people suing them for the same purpose.

This just proves how bad VMWare is.

Parallels hold conferences annually and I attend to them.

Its really amazing how everyone there was using the latest Mac books.

This just proves that only smart and rich people uses Mac books.

My best OS is Linux for both desktop and server.
Please read post #3.

Damian

Verified Provider
Considering what a continually shitty experience I have with iTunes with my iPod, which are both cheap Apple items, I'm really not seeing the point of paying more for the same obtuse interfaces. Unless paying more money gets you a better user experience. Wherein i'd rather stick with Linux.

There's another point that you missed: marked lack of keyboard shortcuts on Mac. I hate using a mouse, and prefer to use keyboard shortcuts, as I come from a time way before all of this point and click basura. Maybe it's improved since I last used a Mac, but I really hate slogging up to menus with the mouse to perform basic tasks that I should be able to call with a simple two-key keyboard shortcut. In other words, I guess 'Mac software is easier to use, better looking, and cheaper.'  applies to the basic moo-cow population who aren't concerned about being efficient with the things they use.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Why does it seem like your posts today seem to have the intention of starting a drama shitstorm?  Stating your opinions on subjective matters as fact is like having the damn Jehovas rolling up into our forums now instead of just door to door.

Unrelated note: had some Jehovas come by the house the other day.  Opened the door, "Thank you, but your Jesus is in another castle", closed the door.  When they knocked again, simply opened the door without pants.  Problem solved.

Damian

Verified Provider
@mikho: The webcam doesn't break, it just begins to reject you, as Apple products are superior to you and your existence. 

wdq

Quade
For many years I used Windows as my main operating system. For a year or so I used Ubuntu as my main operating system. For the past year I have been using Mac OS X as my main operating system. 

To be honest I liked Linux the best. It was incredibly flexible. One day I could be using GNOME, and the next I could be using KDE. I could tweak Linux to work the way I wanted it to. I quit using Linux on the desktop because I couldn't get Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere on Linux. Pretty much every app I use works on Linux, except that Adobe software. 

Windows is great. Tons of apps, tons of users, tons of features. I don't have a whole lot to say about Windows. It works well, but not well enough. I always found that Windows seemed to slow down over time. After having my computer up and running for a few weeks things always seemed to be slower than they were after a day or so of uptime. 

Mac OS X is also great. Keep in mind that my experiences with Mac OS X have been entirely on a Hackintosh (a plain old Windows system running Mac OS X, everything works, but if something goes wrong, it can be a pain to get things working again.) Mac OS X doesn't seem to have the issue with becoming slower over time (or at least noticeably slower.) However OS X is still full of small things that can be annoying. The icons in the top menu bar can't be collapsed or hidden like in Windows, there are also a lot of apps that are designed for Windows and just don't work very well on OS X, there are also some video codecs that don't work very well on OS X.

I'm using Mac OS X right now pretty much just for Xcode. I've been learning iOS development. I tried running a Mac OS X virtual machine, but without the graphics acceleration it was nearly unusable. If Adobe ends up releasing some of their software on Linux I'll buy a Mac Mini for Xcode, and switch back to Linux. 

amuck-landowner