Why Medium failed to disrupt the media

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by fm7, Jan 6, 2017.

1. fm7

fm7 Active Member

Jul 26, 2014
    " Content can only be consistently good if its creators can make a living from it. It's an illusion that creating a platform and inviting everyone to it will eventually reveal enough free, or nearly free, pearls to make the platform's owners fabulously rich. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-05/why-medium-failed-to-disrupt-the-media

2. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    How much money did the actual writers make from medium?

3. fm7

fm7 Active Member

Jul 26, 2014

https://blog.medium.com/renewing-mediums-focus-98f374a960be#.mfj24le7n

4. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    So they only started working on paying the people who do the writing four years after launch, and they have only just started about the need to do something new and different. I think that explains their failure.

5. fm7

fm7 Active Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Like Youtube Red? :)

Medium is a sort of blog. Anyone can post articles.

Bloomberg's point is  "Content can only be consistently good if its creators can make a living from it. It's an illusion that creating a platform and inviting everyone to it will eventually reveal enough free, or nearly free, pearls to make the platform's owners fabulously rich."

The same could be said about Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
  6. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    I do not entirely agree with Bloomberg's point - there is lots of good content that does not really make people a living. From what I know midlist authors, for example, cannot live from writing even though really successful authors can get rich.

Where I do agree with them is that it is difficult to get rich on other people's content without paying them for it.

That said, I am wondering whether some things I write on my blog (which does not make any money) might do better on Medium (if I can get an audience). I am thinking of topics that either get reactions from people (politics and religion) or can attract a repeat audience (work related in particular). Worth trying, I suppose

7. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Re Youtube, as far as I know, you can make money off Youtube ads.

Also, a lot of people use Youtube to host video then them embed on their own sites. They make the money from their site, while Youtube gets the ad revenues in return for providing the video hosting service.

8. fm7

fm7 Active Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Facebook stops paying publishers to stream live video

Why buy a cow when you can get milk for free? :)