amuck-landowner

Windows users

nunim

VPS Junkie
..  FTP/SCP: WinSCP

SSH: mRemoteNG and KiTTY (PuTTY fork)

Text Editor: NP++ is still good, SublimeText is awesome, and the port of Geany is quite nice. .. 
SecureCRT is great but PuTTY works just fine.  Your text editor suggestions are right on the money, hard to beat NotePad++ or Sublime, although Geany is also great.   I'm surprised no one has mentioned SmartFTP yet, it's the best FTP/SFTP/FTPS/SCP client I've ever used.  

Leyton

Verified Provider
SecureCRT is great but PuTTY works just fine.  Your text editor suggestions are right on the money, hard to beat NotePad++ or Sublime, although Geany is also great.   I'm surprised no one has mentioned SmartFTP yet, it's the best FTP/SFTP/FTPS/SCP client I've ever used.  
SecureCRT is great too. The reason I mention KiTTY is that before 08/13, PuTTY hadn't received any more updates or features (and still has only had 1 bugfix issued since then), and KiTTY continued the development with regular bugfixes and some nice additional features (see: http://www.9bis.net/kitty/).

If you use mRemoteNG or WinSCP (or anything else that let's you launch an SSH session to PuTTY), you can drop the KiTTY binary over the top of it - and voila, the sessions launch in KiTTY.

Personally, I like the connection management of mRemoteNG (coupled with KiTTY), and then I have integrated mRemoteNG with WinSCP so that at the click of a button, it launches an SCP connection the the current folder in mRemoteNG's KiTTY install.I just like the way you can tie these applications together.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
I actually use RoyalTS as my SSH client, it was a continuation of the original mRemote, its got a few cool features such as session recording and playback and encryption of all the stored credentials and connection info. One thing its missing though is SCP. But Filezilla handles that just fine.

SublimeText3 is quite an awesome text editor, I was using notepad++ but they don't even compare when you bring in emmet and some of the other time saving features. 

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
A nice to have feature with mremoteng is the sql support. You can save your connections and share it among multple clients.

BuyCPanel-Kevin

Verified Provider
A good email client would be Mozilla Thunder bird. I like comodo firewall, they have a free version too. Putty for the ssh client, and you're right on for the media client, VLC. You login as an administrator? Enjoy!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What about hard disk tools? I've got a stack of old drives from PCs I've had over the years, one in particular I really want to recover. I'm running TestDisk on it now, but happy to take suggestions of other tools.

amuck-landowner