amuck-landowner

XBOX One

wdq

Quade
I think Microsoft is going to market the Xbox One as more than just a gaming console. They'll talk about how great their media center features are and that your family needs this all in one device that can handle all of your media.

Sony seems to be going directly after the gamer crowd with the PS4. Of course they'll have media features, but they appear to have spent the most time on making it the ideal gaming console. 

So lots of families might end up buying the Xbox One seeing that it can allow them to Skype with family that is out of time, watch TV very easily, and those sorts of things.

The real problem with that is that some families might already be really deeply involved with one ecosystem like Apple or Google so they might end up getting an Apple TV, or a Google TV instead of an Xbox One simply for the experience and integration. I could also add that the majority of the newer televisions on the market are smart TV's with these sort of features built right in. They would then get something like the PS4 knowing that it plays games well. 

365Networks

Having to buy the game brand new is going to kill off gaming on the Xbox, it's nice they are getting rid of the online codes but this is not a better decision at all. Can you play the single player even if it is 'synced' to another Xbox? Or is it fully unusable? Would be nice to at least bring the damn DVD to a friends to play it without having to bring the console..

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Consoles are a fairly obsolete thing for my house.  With the exception of the kids playing on the Wii, all it gets used for now is occasional Netflix (time to re-enable my CA proxy... the US selections have gone to shit again).  The PS3 is nothing more than a glorified media player now, soon to be replaced once I get around to building a new media/MythTV box.  I do pretty much all of my gaming on PC, sometimes breaking out the DS while travelling/etc.

When I do have company over, we're more the type to gather around the billiards table or BBQ rather than the TV.  Can't remember the last time I actually did console co-op with someone.

JDiggity

I actually think you will learn that both are going to go the way of the non resellable game way. Microsoft is back peddaling on that already. Some games will not be able to be resold. Also they are looking to move away from the traditional disk method and move twoards the online method of buying games anyway. I am sure we will see big disk drives and tons of power for one reason. Everything done in one place. Wait till we know all the facts about both.

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
My Wii is gathering dust and crying because I switched to PC gaming a while ago. The only real reason for me to use a console was because gaming options on Linux were not up to par at the time, but now that a better selection is now available (thank you, Valve!) I have no use for it other than perhaps a Nagios host or file server. The Wii is pretty low-power and is useful for these tasks.

concerto49

Verified Provider
I have all the consoles of the current generation, but Xbox One this round doesn't seem to be doing too well.

amuck-landowner