amuck-landowner

Your computer uptime?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What's your current uptime with your home computer? I don't like turning mine off unless I have to, as it's nice waking up / sitting down at the desk / whatever and having everything ready to go.

manndude@crunchbang:~$ uptime
23:36:07 up 8 days, 9:26, 9 users, load average: 0.18, 0.25, 0.35

Definitely has been up longer in the past, unsure why I rebooted 8 days ago.

Setsura

13 Days on my windows machine, 92 days on a linux machine. I had to restart 13 days ago on my windows machine for updates, before that I had 40 days.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
My work computer is automatically shut down at nights due to the energy crisis in Korea (it's actually a major issue. Many government buildings don't even allow air conditioning on certain days and doesn't allow the settings to be lower than 26 degrees Celsius.). Current uptime? About 4 hours (since I got into work this morning). The boot time isn't that bad (like 45 seconds?) even though this is ancient hardware. AMD Athlon X2 with 2GB of RAM running Windows 7 64-bit. I can just go on reddit on my phone while I wait for it to boot up, and hell I'm getting paid for it so why not?

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
root:~# uptime 

23:55:04 up 140 days,  3:11,  1 user,  load average: 1.36, 1.22, 1.13

I have had a few linux system go past 400 days uptime. Normally a kernel update or hardware maintenance is the only reason for a reboot for linux. Windows on the other hand depending on the version seems if you don't reboot after a while it just stops working LOL. Got to love Microsoft.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Only 03:11:37. Turned it on when I got home from work. No need to leave it on since it boots up like 10 seconds thanks to two Intel SSDs in RAID0.

Last edited by a moderator:

jarland

The ocean is digital
I can't even go 2 weeks without formatting it. I bet my iPad has some serious uptime though...

DalComp

MUuWFdl.png

I forgot to turn it off last night... So it has to stay up for another day...

fisle

Work windows machine at 29d 18h

Home one probably something like 14d, had to install custom gpu cooler to silence that fermi :)

Best record is 90 days, then I plugged USB-device and got bluescreen, damn windows

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
My phone was on 16 days of battery-only uptime and only discharged to 50%~...

I tend to leave things on even during the few hours I actually sleep.  But the computers, blah, reboots are part of life it seems with them.

bauhaus

06:04:57 up 93 days, 22:57,  1 user,  Small linux box, the most power hungry ones are shutdown daily. We need to be ecofriendly :)

fisle

0:00:57:46

Why would you leave your home computer up for so long? Seems like waste of energy to me.
Shutting down everything and reopening everything is a terrible process, I hate it. :mellow: 

When I come home I like to just pop the monitors open and good to go, same deal in the mornings.

plus what if I need remote access to my computer?

spry

16:19:04:05

Oh my! Didn't realize until I saw this thread.  Which explains why my Electric bill skyrocketed. Debunked!

abyssis

Shutting down everything and reopening everything is a terrible process, I hate it. :mellow:
I can imagine. Regarding remote access sure I agree but it's not like you keep it on for days just for this very purpose. You don't access your computer at 1AM. Do you?

XLvps

One of our thenewsgroups.com servers.

08:26:02 up 1353 days, 23:17,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.01

I only use OS X and Windows as a desktop.

amuck-landowner