amuck-landowner

YouTube says HTML5 is ready for primetime!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Everyone hates Flash, right? You have to install a plug-in, it's resource intensive, it doesn't work on mobile, and it causes all sorts of security problems. YouTube has been working on ridding itself of Adobe's ancient Web plug-in for several years now, and while the whole site has been slowly transitioning away from Flash, today YouTube announced that it finally serves HTML5 video by default. Users of Chrome, IE 11, Safari 8, and "beta versions of Firefox" will all have a Flash-less experience.
This is awesome! Read more here if you want the full story and not just the first paragraph: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/youtube-declares-html5-video-ready-for-primetime-makes-it-default/

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Interestingly enough, in Chromium on Linux it shows in HTML5 for me. In Firefox on the same OS, it's still flash. Oh well, Firefox is my work browser and Chromium is my play browser.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Glad to see Flash, die in a flash... Didn't like Flash day one and remember all the horrific Flash experiments created by every ADD art brat pretending to be advertising or content.

Now I am not a fan of the JS orgy today either....

As long as YouTube (which is arguably crappier than ever) continues to work with youtube-dl.

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
Finally, it has begun.

Interestingly enough, in Chromium on Linux it shows in HTML5 for me. In Firefox on the same OS, it's still flash. Oh well, Firefox is my work browser and Chromium is my play browser.
Which version of Firefox are you using?

amuck-landowner