Zeneva - Bad experience? I want to hear about it.

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by drmike, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Nick_A

Nick_A Provider of the year (2014)

May 13, 2013
    Let me first explain why I am making a post like this. I'm not here to bash. I am here to simply state the truth. I am going to stay as matter of fact as possible so that no one has any grounds to accuse me of libel or embellishing.

As many of you know, we recently added NTT to our Seattle bandwidth blend. We now have a direct account with NTT, but it started off through a reseller - Timothy Lee from Zeneva. Tim also appears to operate brands known as Bandwidth LLC and CoreXLayer. Our contract was specifically with Bandwidth LLC.

I got a great deal on the port from Tim. NTT does not allow resellers, but Tim assured me they would allow it this one time. I was later told by multiple NTT sources that reselling is strictly prohibited (no exceptions). They apparently thought RamNode was part of Zeneva, which caused delays in getting my own port after my contract with Tim was terminated.

For a while, though, the port was running very well. Tim was constantly asking me how the port was working for me. I had no reason to suspect that things were not right behind the scenes. Then, at 11:13 AM EST on January 21, 2014, my NTT line went down. Checking my router, it became clear the issue was on their end. I contacted Tim to see what was going on.

The following are the chat logs between me and him regarding the downed line. Notice the time stamps and dates. I am inserting [...] where extended time passed or where an irrelevant comment was made. I removed unrelated parts from some of this (for instance, where he tells me about how he has to sell his dedicated server business). I have screenshots of all of this for further proof. You may want to read the chat again after reading the rest of this post. There is a lot of irony to be seen in hindsight.

At this point, there was no other conclusion to make: Tim had to be lying. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it just didn't add up. NTT is the #2 ranked carrier in the world. There was no way it would have taken them over 48 hours to fix my port. The line card was supposed to be there earlier that morning according to Tim, but there we were at midnight still scratching our heads. All the while, I'm feeding my clients misinformation on Twitter, telling them there's a hardware issue and that things will be up shortly.

So, I decided it was time to investigate beyond this line of communication. You would think if NTT were having 48 hour outages in Seattle, they would be willing to respond to a general inquiry about it, right?

Also, I should note that the bad reviews of Zeneva and Timothy Lee started popping up right around the time I signed the contract for NTT through him. I didn't see them until the deal was done. I had been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt up until this point.

My email conversation with [email protected] (my text is italic, comments with ########):

According to https://connect.data.com/directory/company/list/k5j1vrT1H-pvqfh1YQFG4g/ntt-america?page=3, Crystal Toland is the Credit and Collections Analyst at NTT.

So, judging by the NTT emails, there was never a line card failure or any hardware issue in the Seattle POP. My line was down for apparently significant billing reasons. But I had paid Tim on time. Logical conclusion: Tim lied, and expansively at that. How many times did he say there was an engineer on the case? Someone onsite? Hardware being overnighted? etc, etc. You can see it all for yourselves above and judge accordingly.

Anyway, I had had enough. Time to deal with Tim directly now that his lies were exposed:

(It was of course not restored by that deadline...)

(I never received those promised communications from NTT through Tim. Clearly he wasn't talking to them about a line card failure, though...)

I think around now he realizes I know more than he has told me:

Not sure what a "mis-sight" is, but it sounds like a partial admission to wrongdoing.

Anyway, at this point I forwarded the matter to my lawyer. Tim tried to tell us that he did indeed pay NTT on time, but you can see NTT's side of the story above. Whether he paid them for something or not, my port was down due to billing issues on his end, and there was clearly no hardware issue causing days of downtime. A mutual termination of contract was recognized between RamNode and "Bandwidth LLC" after some back and forth. As I said above, I now have a direct account with NTT and the Seattle port is up and running. (We're also adding them to Atlanta shortly but that's unrelated :) ).

Again, my point here is to simply state the truth about what happened to our NTT port and about the conduct of Timothy Lee (Zeneva LLC, Bandwidth LLC, CoreXLayer). Make of it what you will.

Wintereise, lbft, Dylan and 11 others like this.
  2. kaniini

kaniini Beware the bunny-rabbit! Verified Provider

Jun 18, 2013
    Wow, that is pretty fucked up.

3. trewq

trewq Active Member Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    I am so glad I didn't take colocation deal he offered me.

Very well formatted post @Nick_A. It's a shame you had to go though that.

4. AuroraZero

AuroraZero Active Member

Dec 18, 2013
    That is how things should be done. I am truly sorry things went this way for you Nick but you handled this in a professional way.

5. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    WOW.

RamNode spoke, people listened.  

Kudos to Nick_A for bringing it and being clear and non-emotional.

How much money is RamNode due by Zeneva/Timothy Lee?

AuroraZero likes this.
  6. serverian

serverian Well-Known Member Verified Provider

May 16, 2013
    He approached to me as well for colocation in SuperNAP in April 2013. I sensed that something was not right with him and dropped contact. I was right!

drmike and Jack like this.
  7. concerto49

concerto49 New Member Verified Provider

May 5, 2013
    This is why it's best never to buy transit from a reseller except a reputable one. The savings just aren't worth it. You never know what will happen. Direct might be more expensive, but at least it's direct.

8. Francisco

Francisco Company Lube Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    Same goes with datacenters.

"Yeah man we got generators on site, no sweat."

*City goes completely dark one day*

"Well, the building has them but we don't actually pay to be backed by them...."

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    MannDude, kaniini and GIANT_CRAB like this.
  9. Nick_A

May 13, 2013
    Yeah I'm from Orlando, thus the 407 number. Never met Tim in my life, nor is my business in any way, shape, or form related to his.

10. k0nsl

k0nsl Bad Goy

Dec 15, 2013
    Very informative post, @Nick_A. Thank you.

11. dano

dano New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Thanks for clearing that up @Nick_A. To be honest, I once checked a trace to your network, and was quite concerned that I saw "corexlayer" hops in the mix for Ramnode, because of my previous experience with Zeneva. Also when I looked at the whois of the IP ranges, I was wondering how related you guys could be, as I noticed both companies had 407 area code numbers listed for abuse contact phone numbers. Anyways, it all makes sense now, thanks for explaining.

12. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    I posted this on WHT so I thought I'd cross post it here because I know google loves duplicate content :p

---------begin duplicate content----

There is a Bandwidth LLC registered in Florida (and 3 other states show registrations for companies with the same name) but there is no mention of a "Tim" on the Florida incorporated Bandwidth's corporate records or web site http://www.bandwidthllc.net/about-us/consultants/

When Zeneva posted their first offer on LowEndBox the offer stated that Zeneva LLC was registered in Florida...a corporate search on the FL SOS site doesn't confirm that claim. The only "Zeneva" I could find in the US was "The Zeneva Company LLC" which was registered in Wyoming and involuntarity dissolved in 2012.

------end duplicate content-----

13. Nick_A

May 13, 2013
    I will post my response from there here as well :)

I was also concerned about being unable to pinpoint his brands online. Everything seemed to revolve around a central Florida address, but the two brands I dealt with were not registered there:

The Tax ID image he sent me had the actual EIN, but I removed it just in case that violates any privacy issues: http://gyazo.com/ee98f460c6564370d7ea97c4fedeff18

14. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    Usually when a company has established credit they'll show up on a D&B search.  The only thing D&B has for Zeneva is this:

Company Name

Address

City

State

WEST 8TH ST CORP
    Also Traded as ZENEVA

20 W 8TH ST

NEW YORK

No DUNS number for Zeneva either.

15. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
  16. Nick_A

May 13, 2013
    Thanks for posting that. I should have followed up and mentioned it here.

That's definitely the same Tim. They were saying he was 16-17 back then, and he recently told me he was 27 now. Sad.

drmike likes this.