amuck-landowner

SecureDragon VPS 1+ Year Review

dave

I’ve used SecureDragon for over a year now (since November 2012), and I wanted to give them credit for providing a great service. I’ve used many different services, and I think this is one of the best.

SecureDragon became popular for providing small VPS’s with even less than 128MB RAM, and my first one was a 64MB OpenVZ VPS at their Florida location. After they began offering service in Denver, I picked up another 64MB OpenVZ VPS in Denver. I’ve used both of these mostly as VPNs.

The network quality for VPN use out of their Denver location (at Handy Networks) is the best I’ve ever used. Of course this can change over time, but so far so good.

The test for a VPN isn’t just connectivity from you to the VPN, but also from the VPN to various CDNs. The speed test from your VPN server may be great, but trying to stream over it may be a challenge if the network quality is poor. If you want a VPS for VPN use, my advice is to get a Dragon in Denver.

I recently picked up a new 1GB OpenVZ VPS with SecureDragon in Denver to try to use for web hosting, and a second one in Los Angeles for monitoring, DNS, and backups.

I usually prefer to use 512MB Xen or KVM VPS’s for web hosting. I last tried OpenVZ many years ago for web hosting and found it using way more RAM than it did on my Xen server, and I’ve avoided it since then. But a good deal on the SecureDragon VPS came up (tweet), and with the memory management changes and introduction of VSWAP for OpenVZ, I thought I’d give it another try.

I’m finding that a similar setup on OpenVZ is using a bit more than twice as much RAM as on Xen or KVM. Whereas I’m using around 250MB RAM on Xen or KVM, OpenVZ is consuming around 530MB. Everything is nice and snappy so far, though, so I’ll continue to use it. It’s a good thing it’s 1GB for OpenVZ instead of 512MB!

I’ve only had to contact support once, for a simple matter, but the response was very quick and polite. Everything else just works.

They also offer KVM VPS’s, DDOS protected OpenVZ VPS’s, backup servers, and CPanel hosting, though I haven’t used their other services.

They just sent out an email announcing that they’ll be adding four new locations: Atlanta GA, Dallas TX, Phoenix AZ, and Weehawken NJ to add to their five existing locations (Tampa FL, Denver CO, Los Angeles CA, Chicago IL, and Portland OR). I wish them lots of success–they deserve it.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Thanks dave!

Living in Colorado myself, I'm a bit biased when it comes to my favorite location and network (I'm connected to my VPN in Denver all of the time and Amazon VOD, Xfinity VOD, and Netflix are indeed smoother than when I was in FL). I'm glad others are getting to enjoy it as much as I do.

Those 1GB plans were selling fast and were mostly bought by current clients who had a <128MB VPS with us originally so I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat as you so I'm very happy to hear you're expanding to hosting other services with us.

In addition to the locations you mentioned we're hoping to add an Oregon and Ohio location this month also (we were hoping talks would go better with a Virginia data center but at the moment it's not looking so good).

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed review about us. :)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
As a SD customer myself (Since June 2012), I agree with you. I absolutely love their service and the way Joe runs things. It's great!

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I've sent in a few tickets and every time I've been surprised by the fast and accurate response that I received.

Every time there was a helpful tone and a will to solve the problem, even in the cases where it was my fault and I shouldn't contact the support.

Currently using one as vpn and the other as a cPanel dns-only.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
In addition to the locations you mentioned we're hoping to add an Oregon and Ohio location this month also (we were hoping talks would go better with a Virginia data center but at the moment it's not looking so good).

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed review about us. :)
Kinda curious to see how the Ohio location works out, last time I tested my latency from southern Indiana was better to my Tampa ovz than Denver, but that probably has something to do with E-Solution's DC now being owned by my ISP

Are you shipping single servers to E-sol in Ohio and the other new DCs?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Kinda curious to see how the Ohio location works out, last time I tested my latency from southern Indiana was better to my Tampa ovz than Denver, but that probably has something to do with E-Solution's DC now being owned by my ISP

Are you shipping single servers to E-sol in Ohio and the other new DCs?
The Ohio location is still up in the air. We got a quote and are still in talks to see what we can and can't do.

All new locations are getting a single OpenVZ node for now. We've decided to move away from getting cabinets since they are not cost effective for us (the shared bandwidth in particular doesn't meet our needs).

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Isn't this exactly what you get with shared colocation thought,, shared bandwidth from their BGP blend?
I mean us having multiple servers sharing the same bandwidth pool. We like having the ability to adjust bandwidth commits on a per server basis.

thekreek

From my experience SD has always provided stable servers (the vps was from a friend).

And just one complain, damint I couldn't get the promo, it was a very nice offer.

Keep it up KuJoe.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Just wanted to update those who were interested in our Ohio location. We've negotiated a better price and hope to have an OpenVZ node online by the end of the month. :)

Additionally the nodes have arrived in New Jersey and Georgia already and we're just waiting for our new IPs from ARIN to get these rolling. The nodes for Arizona and Texas should be shipping out soon also.

dave

Hulu started blocking all 4 of my securedragon IP addresses today (2 in Denver, plus Los Angeles and Florida) -- both the older 198.57. addresses and the newer 162.211. addresses.

So that's kind of sad.  The servers themselves are still running well, though.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
That sucks. I just tried to watch Hulu with some of my VPNs (Secure Dragon IPs and one of my dedicated servers with another provider) and they're blocked also. I guess Hulu started cracking down or updated a database recently since they even have our new IPs blocked also.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Hulu started blocking all 4 of my securedragon IP addresses today (2 in Denver, plus Los Angeles and Florida) -- both the older 198.57. addresses and the newer 162.211. addresses.

So that's kind of sad.  The servers themselves are still running well, though.
We've found a workaround for this and will be implementing it shortly. It won't be ideal for everybody but it's better than nothing.

dave

We've found a workaround for this and will be implementing it shortly. It won't be ideal for everybody but it's better than nothing.
That's good news.  Does it involve making some changes to the vps, or should it just start working?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
We're still looking into how to implement the workaround. I have a few ideas but I won't be able to test them until tonight or tomorrow. One will require some modification while the other should be seemless.

Last edited by a moderator:

rds100

Verified Provider
I don't understand why Hulu would bother to block the IPs. Don't you need to pay hulu subscription to watch it? So they want to have less subscriptions?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I don't have a paid Hulu account so I only tested their free version. I wonder if the IPs are blocked for Hulu Plus. Either way, we're getting IPs from a residential ISPs for our clients to use for Hulu and other sites that block "anonymous" IPs. I'm a bit medicated at the moment so I'll have more details later.

amuck-landowner