amuck-landowner

IPv6-Capable VPS in Northeast US

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Nope. Still looking. I'm hoping @SeriesN's investigations in to tunneling in NYC will be successful, until his DC goes native. I'm also considering DigitalOcean in NYC, again tunneling with HE.net. Weird thing with that, though. I did a traceroute from a DO box to HE.net's NYC tunnel server IP and found that the routing goes thusly: Level3 Newark -> Cogentco NYC -> Level3 NYC -> Cogentco NYC -> Level3 NYC -> HE.net. Still minimal latency (>2ms ping), but I know NinjaHawk's upstream peers directly with HE, so that would work better anyway. I would just go ahead and grab a box from them, but I've never gotten tunneling to work on OpenVZ, even with the tb-tun thing.
I am investigating but no luck as of yet, The only way tunneling would work would be by tunneling on the host node and then manually assigning Ipv6 (openVZ :S). But I can not find any specific info on nyc tunnel from He as of yet. Newark is CT btw :p

I will update your ticket if I have any update.

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
There is no BGP tunnel in NYC. BuyVM tunnels through Miami. But would it be possible to tunnel on the host node for me? Maybe if I flutter my eyelashes? ;)

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
NYC -> NYC, upstream directly peered with HE.net? Might as well be native. However, in your testing, run a traceroute from your server to the HE.net NYC tunnel server IP, just out of curiosity. Thanks for helping me out with this, though. Nice thing is, once your DC goes native, I'll be all set.

I would like to thank the other guy who offered to help by PM - you know who you are. You've got a nice box there friend, thanks once more for your generous offer.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
There is no BGP tunnel in NYC. BuyVM tunnels through Miami. But would it be possible to tunnel on the host node for me? Maybe if I flutter my eyelashes? ;)
We use a BGP tunnel. Which means that whenever Colocrossing actually rolls out V6 users won't even notice the cut over. There'll be no IP changing or anything.

Francisco

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
We use a BGP tunnel. Which means that whenever Colocrossing actually rolls out V6 users won't even notice the cut over. There'll be no IP changing or anything.

Francisco
I know. That's what I tried to say in that quote. But that bit about ColoCrossing implementing IPv6, that's a good one Francisco, I'll have to remember it  :D

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Well an awesome update, it works out better than I hoped. Latency is better than expected :). Strout, I have updated your ticket as well.

Zach

Verified Provider
I am investigating but no luck as of yet, The only way tunneling would work would be by tunneling on the host node and then manually assigning Ipv6 (openVZ :S). But I can not find any specific info on nyc tunnel from He as of yet. Newark is CT btw :p

I will update your ticket if I have any update.
HE sure does have a tunnel set up in NYC - 209.51.161.14. Check tunnelbroker.net.

Edit: I see you have figured it out, awesome :)

SeriesN

Verified Provider
HE sure does have a tunnel set up in NYC - 209.51.161.14. Check tunnelbroker.net.

Edit: I see you have figured it out, awesome :)
Yeh! Love the direct peering. I for some reason, always thought the tunnel was straight from fremont with geo located Ip, Guess it is not the case. You learn something everyday and I would love to thank strout.

Zach

Verified Provider
Yeh! Love the direct peering. I for some reason, always thought the tunnel was straight from fremont with geo located Ip, Guess it is not the case. You learn something everyday and I would love to thank strout.
Yeah, it's very helpful in the transition to v6. It's great for us because our datacenter's traffic is backhauled to Chicago (HE has a tunnel endpoint there.) so the additional latency is really negligible (about 4ms).

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Happy to help, especially since it means I get a good NYC IPv6 plan :D

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Glad to see Ninjahawk worked out @D. Strout.

Great opportunity to get the IPV6 He tunnel stuff in place also.   Win-win situation.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Just did some testing, and I'm glad once again that I went with this setup. Very direct routing. Four hops over IPv4 to the HE tunnel server, ping >1ms. Routes are highly efficient due to HE's great peering. Ping over IPv4 compares favorably in all instances to ping over IPv6 to native dual stack targets (Ramnode, FrontRangeHosting, ServerHub). All in all, it's hard to tell it's not native because the routing from NinjaHawk's DC to HE is good and fast. The IPv6 packet is hardly stuck in IPv4 for any amount of time. 100% satisfied.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Happy clients make me happy :)

Just did some testing, and I'm glad once again that I went with this setup. Very direct routing. Four hops over IPv4 to the HE tunnel server, ping >1ms. Routes are highly efficient due to HE's great peering. Ping over IPv4 compares favorably in all instances to ping over IPv6 to native dual stack targets (Ramnode, FrontRangeHosting, ServerHub). All in all, it's hard to tell it's not native because the routing from NinjaHawk's DC to HE is good and fast. The IPv6 packet is hardly stuck in IPv4 for any amount of time. 100% satisfied.

amuck-landowner