amuck-landowner

ColoCrossing Makes List of Largest ARIN Free Pool IP Acquirers in 2013

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Oh someone noticed the RLT reverse DNS humor :)  Unsure what those lads are thinking with the bulk funny filled RDNS on entire ranges.  That insanity isn't going to fool anyone in an IP audit.

Last edited by a moderator:

CVPS_Chris

Verified Provider
Hahahahahahaha god this thread is an utter joke. The OP, the post by Manndude and Dustin is beyond laughable

CVPS_Chris

Verified Provider
The question you "asked" was purposly asked knowing that the answer was wrong and to let people believe what you said was correct.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The question you "asked" was purposly asked knowing that the answer was wrong and to let people believe what you said was correct.
This?

Don't you need to show active use of 70-80% of your allocation before ARIN justifies an audit? Has ARIN ever 'revoked' IP space due to hoarding or non-justification of current space?
I'm not for sure if it's true or not, which is why it was presented in the form of a question. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I mean, I suppose we could all ping ARIN and have them look into it, if you want. They would know better than myself or anyone else here if everything is up to par.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hahahahahahaha god this thread is an utter joke. The OP, the post by Manndude and Dustin is beyond laughable
This thread isn't a joke.  It's just the facts, ma'am.  Don't start squirming in your Speedos  cause someone is looking at your man's stash.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I do believe hosting falls under ARIN ISP regulations:

ISP Additional Requests

ISPs must have efficiently utilized all previous allocations, and at least 80% of their most recent allocation in order to receive additional space. This includes all space reassigned to their customers.

To receive additional address space following the initial allocation, multi-homed organizations must have returned the original IP address space to its provider in its entirety and must provide justification for a new allocation as described above in the section titled Requirements for Requesting Initial Address Space.

Any time an ISP receives a new block of address space, reassignment information should be submitted within 7 days of issuance of the new space. This information is used to demonstrate that the address space received is being efficiently utilized. Also, it will be reviewed to determine an ISP's and its downstream customers' utilization effectiveness if and when additional space is requested in the future.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Oh hey, I looked it up. :) https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four24

4.2.4.1. Utilization percentage (80%)
ISPs must have efficiently utilized all previous allocations and at least 80% of their most recent allocation in order to receive additional space. This includes all space reassigned to their customers. Please note that until your prior utilization is verified to meet the 80% requirement, ARIN can neither process nor approve a request for additional addresses.
So by your response I take it that CC doesn't utilize anywhere near that much of their allocation? Hmm. I suppose we should all ping ARIN to investigate further: https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/ // https://www.arin.net/public/fraud/index.xhtml

ARIN can:

Based on the results of our investigation, ARIN may:

• Reclaim any resources that were issued or transferred based on fraudulent data
  • Reclaim any resources registered to a defunct organization that has no successor eligible to transfer the resources
  • Revert any unauthorized changes and replace them with valid information
  • Require a transfer of resources to the registrant’s successor
Wow. Well, I know what I'm doing now after my pizza is out of the oven. Thanks.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If they fall under ISP they can request IPs six months out supply wise.  Can't see growth at CC legitimately involving the use of over 100k more  IPs in next six months.  But you know I have my bias like that and managed to master counting to large numbers beyond 10.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I feel bad for CC + CVPS.   They are capable, but this IP collection schema.  Crap, the trolls online sniffed it and some academic at a prestigious university smacked lips about it...

ColoCrossing Makes List of Largest ARIN Free Pool IP Acquirers in 2013 is nearly an exact title taken from the professor's paper.  

The joke is ARIN allows this behavior and large issuance of IPs to companies that aren't utilizing prior issued ranges and that ARIN isn't reclaiming IPs when those justifying the allocation move out / on / away from CC and similar hoarding companies.

If you read the paper you will see the whole IPV6 avoidance and even some cost/value numbers when shortage hits.

cubixcloud

Verified Provider
We are in phase 3 of the countdown process and under current nrpm an ISP can only request up to 3 month supply now days.

jarland

The ocean is digital
I feel bad for CC + CVPS. They are capable, but this IP collection schema. Crap, the trolls online sniffed it and some academic at a prestigious university smacked lips about it...

ColoCrossing Makes List of Largest ARIN Free Pool IP Acquirers in 2013 is nearly an exact title taken from the professor's paper.

The joke is ARIN allows this behavior and large issuance of IPs to companies that aren't utilizing prior issued ranges and that ARIN isn't reclaiming IPs when those justifying the allocation move out / on / away from CC and similar hoarding companies.

If you read the paper you will see the whole IPV6 avoidance and even some cost/value numbers when shortage hits.
ARIN has so much to deal with they probably overlook some key details. They've learned how to work the system is all.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
ARIN has so much to deal with they probably overlook some key details. They've learned how to work the system is all.
Hell, I'll gladly audit CC's issuance and justification applications for FREE.

cubixcloud

Verified Provider
We've discussed this IPv6 avoidance on nanog and arin lists.

ARIN does a good job for what they have to work with. However, its not perfect. Each member of ARIN is expected to be good stewards of the space they are assigned.

cubixcloud

Verified Provider
Also, if you can show at least 80% assigned for all previous assignements either through SWIP or rWHOIS they will usually approve you once they do some vetting.

SkylarM

Verified Provider

If they fall under ISP they can request IPs six months out supply wise.  Can't see growth at CC legitimately involving the use of over 100k more  IPs in next six months.  But you know I have my bias like that and managed to master counting to large numbers beyond 10.
Hosting providers do fall under the ISP guidelines, yes. End-user is totally different than what webhosts are providing.

Plenty of time to criticize posts relating to your "upstream" that you "share office space with", but not enough regarding your UGVPS company I see. Merry Christmas.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Also, if you can show at least 80% assigned for all previous assignements either through SWIP or rWHOIS they will usually approve you once they do some vetting.
Only have to provide information related to your last IP allocation from ARIN. Your older allocations are assumed to be no different than the information you provided for it when you applied for your new block (or at least very minimal changes in allocations assigned). They ask you to give a % of utilization of all prior blocks, but no other documentation.

As an example:

Once I had my very first /22 at requirement, I had to provide information for for a  /21 to be approved

Once my /21  was at-requirement and I needed to apply for a /20, I had to provide information relating to ONLY my last block (being the /21) -- the /22 is assumed unchanged.

Once my /20 was at-requirement, I applied for a /19 and provided information relating to ONLY my last block (being the /20) - the /21 and /22 is assumed unchanged.

Unfortunately ARIN is a relatively small team with regular requests for IP space from a very large amount of providers. They DO have a policy to investigate IP requests in great detail, but these are typically reserved for some of the very-largest allocations. The entire system operates under an honor system, which it should be able to use without much incident. Some people just feel the need to abuse every situation for whatever gain they can, unfortunately.

I'd imagine when stage 4 is nearly exhausted, or sometime during stage 4, they will have more time to investigate companies they feel are cheating the system and react accordingly. Companies don't technically OWN any of the IPs ARIN gives us. We pay a membership fee to gain access to the resources. ARIN is well within their rights to take back any allocation at any time as they see fit. Unless, of course, you have legacy IP space.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Plenty of time to criticize posts relating to your "upstream" that you "share office space with", but not enough regarding your UGVPS company I see. Merry Christmas.
Perhaps he got tired of being the princess of the pair, and wanted to try being the shining knight for a change.  Except in this case, instead of a dramatic rescue of his lover it was more of a tragic stumble on dismount, then trying to have drunken sex with the horse.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
They DO have a policy to investigate IP requests in great detail, but these are typically reserved for some of the very-largest allocations.
Not true.

The providers I've busted have all be in the ~/19 total space range, a few a bit bigger.

Francisco

amuck-landowner