amuck-landowner

Dealing with the Buffalo DDoS Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Not to be 'that guy', but can you lay out some actual evidence correlating the DDoS had at all anything to do with these pictures?

It's not that I don't disbelieve, I just feel that it is better to provide actual proof.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Not to be 'that guy', but can you lay out some actual evidence correlating the DDoS had at all anything to do with these pictures?

It's not that I don't disbelieve, I just feel that it is better to provide actual proof.
This, but as usual the answer will be no, well not no, it will be a lengthy rant to try an convince you that coincidence is actual proof.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
This, but as usual the answer will be no, well not no, it will be a lengthy rant to try an convince you that coincidence is actual proof.
I think the speculation is valid considering the images were reported on Imgur, then pulled down. Then reuploaded, and then that IP DDoSed.

No one, not EGI or CC has asked for the images to be pulled. EGI is a member here and I'm sure they'd simply shoot me a PM if they had concern over the images.

Combined with the history of controversial threads in the past that are followed by DDoS attacks it's not hard to see why someone would want to point fingers in a certain direction. Obviously no 'proof' exists as they're not dumb enough to do it from their own network if it is them, but nowadays kids just use booter, spoofed addresses, etc. It's hard to prove who is behind such attacks, hence their so wildly popular.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
I think the speculation is valid considering the images were reported on Imgur, then pulled down. Then reuploaded, and then that IP DDoSed.

No one, not EGI or CC has asked for the images to be pulled. EGI is a member here and I'm sure they'd simply shoot me a PM if they had concern over the images.

Combined with the history of controversial threads in the past that are followed by DDoS attacks it's not hard to see why someone would want to point fingers in a certain direction. Obviously no 'proof' exists as they're not dumb enough to do it from their own network if it is them, but nowadays kids just use booter, spoofed addresses, etc. It's hard to prove who is behind such attacks, hence their so wildly popular.
Sorry I don't agree.

"Dealing with the Buffalo DDoS Mafia" 
"Yeah I am talking about ColoCrossing here. " 

This is clearly an acquisitive thread, the title itself is a statement.

Coincidence is not evidence, never has been and never will be. those that post slander as fact based on coincidence deserve any fall out imo.

I am not a fan of CC but these toxic threads sure make me sound like one.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well sad to say, only two folks really have an interest in the photos disappearing --- CC and EGI.  So I should edit the thread to reflect EGI as well - in light of yesterday's events. One or the other knows the booter skids...

"Coincidence is not evidence, never has been and never will be. "

I agree.   But been plenty of coincidence in the past.  Time and reality be told, what I say is pretty sound and often later confirmed. Who secretly acquired Lowend*?  Who was Kevin/Adam = same?  Thomas Dale works at CC/CVPS?  Their routers aren't what they say? That's the small list... Just give some credit already :)

When you see the same thing involving the same people time and time again, it isn't coincidence.   It's how they do business.  Miffed that they can't control reality through censorship and pulling/editing posts like over on that other site.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Sorry I don't agree.

"Dealing with the Buffalo DDoS Mafia" 
"Yeah I am talking about ColoCrossing here. " 

This is clearly an acquisitive thread, the title itself is a statement.

Coincidence is not evidence, never has been and never will be. those that post slander as fact based on coincidence deserve any fall out imo.

I am not a fan of CC but these toxic threads sure make me sound like one.
Well... I think that speculation based on coincidence is actually worse because it devalues the issues that are known.

That is why I think if we are to have a serious discussion on these issues, that it should be done with the actual hard data.  In most cases, he has provided the data... but this is kinda weak.

But personally I am not sure this is the better place for this discussion.  I think, that this community is better served by discussing virtualization, which is the actual purpose of the board.  In some cases, some discussion is warranted because people should be advised of these issues when they consider whether or not to purchase virtualization products from vendors using CC.  I am also not sure that it is right to 'punish' providers who use CC for that fact alone; there are very few colo/infrastructure vendors out there willing to sell servers at prices that make these cheap $15/year VPS possible in a way that is actually sustainable.  After all, you gotta do what you gotta do.

However, I think that there is a lot of emphasis on the CC issue which really detracts from the possible value that this community could have.  At least, I am not interested in participating in a tabloid...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
In most cases, he has provided the data... but this is kinda weak.
It's hard to provide DDoS info--- who initiated the attack and is running their attack network.  That's the nature of the attacks and why people use them to inflict harm.     Sadly it's waaaaaayyyyy too common with the company at hand.   I wonder if they DDoS their network when the office piped music sucks and someone refuses to stop playing whatever?

I am also not sure that it is right to 'punish' providers who use CC for that fact alone; there are very few colo/infrastructure vendors out there willing to sell servers at prices that make these cheap $15/year VPS possible in a way that is actually sustainable. 
There will eventually be fewer facilities for providers as they sink the competition with DDoS traffic.   There are a growing number of datacenters that won't deal with low end providers since inevitably in come the DDoS attacks.  Costs money, impacts legitimated business customers, requires staff , hardware and software... 

These kids operate like the mob, pay us protection racket money or we DDoS you out of business.

issue which really detracts from the possible value that this community could have.
Going forward, I'd hope that this community takes steps to move more away from the lowend business model and focusing so highly on low end pricing.  I don't find the model sustainable and it's clear it is more problems that it is worth.

Like I tend to ask, pointed questions, how many low end companies out there make payroll?  How many have owners that are full time employees only of that company (i.e. not working a 'real' job to subsidize things)?  

Of course that goes on elsewhere to some degree, but nowhere like in the low end.  If I open a burger joint selling $2 burgers, I surely am not working my spare hours up the road for McDonalds or the fine dining restaurant to subsidize.   No offense, just saying, the low end really isn't a sustainable business model for but a handful of companies tops.

datarealm

Verified Provider
Going forward, I'd hope that this community takes steps to move more away from the lowend business model and focusing so highly on low end pricing.  I don't find the model sustainable and it's clear it is more problems that it is worth.

Hopefully OVH proved this to everyone, though I for one am not holding my breath on that.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Probably best I lock this. Sadly DDoS attacks aren't very easily traced back to a legit source of the 'sender' and at this point it's just speculation based on someone having a motive aswell as past coincidences.

Luckily we've got DDoS protection on all important public facing servers so they don't impact the site at all.

:lock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner