amuck-landowner

24khost, where are you?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The average low end planning cycle goes something like this:

DAY 1 posts: How do I use SSH, What is RAID, etc

DAY 2 posts: 8AM/I'm thinking of starting a host, NOON (market research)/Which locations do you prefer, what datacenter do you recommend, 4PM/I rented a server!, 8PM/First offer

...FAST FORWARD 48 HOURS: Nobody's buying, I quit!
Pretty generous estimate.. a full 48 hours.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I prefer careful planning, market testing before committment, and solid game plans myself.  But seriously, I don't think you learned all that much if you immediately try to jump into paid community management.  Especially seeing as how you keep stating that you work multiple jobs/etc and didn't have time for your clients?  What makes you think you would have time to "improve LET"?  Out of curiosity.. are you catching just how insulting that post is; that you couldn't make time for your own clients, but you can jump right up and save the internet?
I am not joining the 24khost lynching.   But, I sure wish he would have been around when the customers were suffering and dumped.

" Especially seeing as how you keep stating that you work multiple jobs/etc and didn't have time for your clients?  "

He has as much available time as the rest of the lizards running LET.  

Kossen earlier was whining on the same thread about having to invest 10 hours a week providing ticket support for LEB offers.  All the monkeys over in LET/LEB own/operate land are happy drawing in tons of cash a month from the ads and side deals, but no one wants to do actual work.   Spare me the benevolence bullshit, they are all being paid.

vRozenSch00n

@JDiggity I have my sympathy on you. However, IMHO you should have made your exit clearance smooth by informing your clients beforehand. Tell them the truth.

To be honest @devonblzx also helped me by letting me use his service (2 VPSes) for free for 3 months after I recovered from a heat attack, as at that time was the hardest time for me.

JDiggity

Yes I could have done it different.  That is niether here or there.  Whats done is done.  Do you want me to say I am sorry?  Not like I can change what happened.  It's done. 

I won't be running a hosting company any time in the near future like some other people.  I don't have the time.  I did learn some things and in the future, Talking 3-5 years from now, I might work on a new hosting project but that is a long time away and alot of things can change.

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
Have you even read the entire thread?  Lots of chaos because you chose to stop communicating with everyone.  Only to reappear months later to take over LE* and correct all the problems.  What honestly makes you any better for the job than the current administration that is just in it for the $$$$$.  You are just in it for the $$$$$ too.  Simple.

Amitz

Could someone remove that "Verified Provider" from JDiggity?

Because he "Host no longer"...

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
How about us shared hosting resellers that prepaid and lost out?? We were dumped - the new provider did not want us...
^ Exactly my point. I'm sure you're loving the fact he has re-appeared in a cape with halo to rescue LET/LEB.

DeanClinton

Actually - if he's back he's contactable - i'll start proceedings to recover what i'm owed. This guys should not be let near anything.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
How about us shared hosting resellers that prepaid and lost out?? We were dumped - the new provider did not want us...

Serious question, who did the company taking over actually keep or want to keep as a customer? 

I would think resellers in particular would be interesting to an upstream company.

DeanClinton

they took over vps clients and kept the ones that they deemed a proper price - people that had special offers were dumped when they realised.

us shared hosting clients (incl reseller accts) werent even taken on - we were dumped.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ouch!

How much cash are you out @DeanClinton?

I need to start a niche hosting company that *just* deals with refugees and those abandoned by #FAILING providers.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
or providers that claim to be rescuing said #FAILING providers.. but screw them over anyway,.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
they took over vps clients and kept the ones that they deemed a proper price - people that had special offers were dumped when they realised.

us shared hosting clients (incl reseller accts) werent even taken on - we were dumped.
To be fair, we never "dumped" anyone.  We offered free hosting for a month to all their shared/reseller customers and offered an avenue for you to obtain your data.   We never arranged to take on any shared/reseller customers because we don't offer CPanel shared hosting services.

We also never dumped VPS clients.  We sent emails regarding offers and asked for a deposit.  For example, if they had 6 months of their year left, we asked them to pay for an additional year and we would honor 18 months of service, or offered a plan that was viable for us.  We found about half of the customers weren't even using their service anymore, so it made sense for us to do that as we are no longer reserving resources for clients who moved on after the initial downtime or never used their service to begin with.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
or providers that claim to be rescuing said #FAILING providers.. but screw them over anyway,.
If screwing them over is offering many of their customers up to 3 months of free service, or honoring their existing time if they wanted to accept our offer, then I suppose so.  I guess these customers were much better off offline.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Well, you can't really argue with it. "we will give you your data and help you if you pay us for 1 year in advance"

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Yes I could have done it different.  That is niether here or there.  Whats done is done.  Do you want me to say I am sorry?  Not like I can change what happened.  It's done. 

I won't be running a hosting company any time in the near future like some other people.  I don't have the time.  I did learn some things and in the future, Talking 3-5 years from now, I might work on a new hosting project but that is a long time away and alot of things can change.
Wasn't this an issue of "time" though? Nice that you magically acquire time to aid LE* shortly following your company closing.

amuck-landowner