amuck-landowner

A Linux powered AR15 rifle

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Other one is using the technology to build humanless killing machines which can be potentially used against the people who committed code into.
All I'm saying is, if your intent it is to murder someone then there are much cheaper and viable options then doing the deed with a $15,000 computer assisted rifle. And if you have $15,000 to spend on a rifle to do the deed, you probably have enough money to pay someone else to do the deed for you. Or you'd just go out and spend $500~ on a gun like a normal person.

I'm sure somewhere in the world of firearms outside of TrackingPoint that Linux is in use everyday. Whether it be for design, simulation or manufacturing of parts and products. Actually, I'm certain that these companies aren't running 100% on Windows and Mac, so it'd not surprise me one bit at all if they're running Linux in some core aspects of their business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Last I checked, the firearm still needs someone to actually pull the trigger.  If your gripe is about items such as unmanned drones, that's an entirely different topic.

BUT, just food for thought, let's derail to that topic for a moment.  Let's fast-forward technology to the point when countries are able to conduct warfare via technological means.  Your robots vs theirs, with minimal humans involved or in the line of fire.  That seems pretty damn ideal compared to traditional warfare of sending people to die instead of machines.

Back on topic.  Let's touch on common sense of multi-cultures.  I've been in the States for quite awhile now, and have gotten a good taste of the differences between North and South, West and East.  While you're up on that pedestal generalizing all Americans, do you think you could actually name some of the cultural differences in this rather large and complex country?  Or is it just easier to just stereotype an entire nation based on a minuscule of first-hand interaction, and a great deal of public media consumption?

If you honestly believe that firearms are only instruments designed to kill others, then your judgement is already biased.  It's the person vs tool argument again - and if you've already firmly made up your mind on what to believe on the topic, then at least state that plainly so that others don't waste time swapping opinions with you.

serverian

Verified Provider
Back on topic.  Let's touch on common sense of multi-cultures.  I've been in the States for quite awhile now, and have gotten a good taste of the differences between North and South, West and East.  While you're up on that pedestal generalizing all Americans, do you think you could actually name some of the cultural differences in this rather large and complex country?  Or is it just easier to just stereotype an entire nation based on a minuscule of first-hand interaction, and a great deal of public media consumption?
Here you are stereotyping me with non-us people who reads biased media news and think upon. I'm not stupid enough unfortunately.

I visited the US many times and stayed many months in different cities and interacted and had lengthy conversations with people from different origins across the US.

On top of that, I've stayed in other countries and done the same.

And I'm fairly certain that I'm intelligent enough to draw a pattern.

If you honestly believe that firearms are only instruments designed to kill others, then your judgement is already biased.  It's the person vs tool argument again - and if you've already firmly made up your mind on what to believe on the topic, then at least state that plainly so that others don't waste time swapping opinions with you.
Enlighten me please, what other uses do they have?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Why don't you go check one of the other firearm-related threads?  Curtis and Miller are both target enthusiasts - each own several firearms, and have notably not shot anyone.  Yet here you are, claiming that their guns are only used for murder.

Where I live now, knowing how to operate a rifle is simply a part of life.  I personally don't hunt any more, but I do still go down to the range from time to time.

You claim to be an intelligent individual, yet you make an absolutely ridiculous assertion regarding a mechanical tool.  I honestly find your self-proclaimed facts (an opinion stops being just an opinion when you refuse to acknowledge alternatives) just as asinine as someone claiming that motor vehicles are murder boxes.  To take it a step farther, you're also making a very bold assertion about people who do own firearms;  will you now extend your thoughts on firearms to include Curtis and Miller being murderers for owning them?

serverian

Verified Provider
Why don't you go check one of the other firearm-related threads?  Curtis and Miller are both target enthusiasts - each own several firearms, and have notably not shot anyone.  Yet here you are, claiming that their guns are only used for murder.

Where I live now, knowing how to operate a rifle is simply a part of life.  I personally don't hunt any more, but I do still go down to the range from time to time.

You claim to be an intelligent individual, yet you make an absolutely ridiculous assertion regarding a mechanical tool.  I honestly find your self-proclaimed facts (an opinion stops being just an opinion when you refuse to acknowledge alternatives) just as asinine as someone claiming that motor vehicles are murder boxes.  To take it a step farther, you're also making a very bold assertion about people who do own firearms;  will you now extend your thoughts on firearms to include Curtis and Miller being murderers for owning them?
Stop with the bullshit, please. Owning a gun doesn't make you a murderer.

You can collect them, you can read about them, you can be a fan of them, you can have an excitement holding them. That doesn't change the fact that they are instruments to kill.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Funny then, that you have flare guns (instruments to signal), starting pistols (instruments to indicate a race has begun), and a large number of firearms designed and manufactured for the sole purpose of competition shooting.

Such as my float barrel Dan Wesson .44, and my Ruger long barrel.  Or my daughter's target rifle.  All examples of firearms designed exclusively for target practice/competition sporting.

Now, as a former soldier I took a number of lives with weapons designed to do so.  Notice that I'm now calling the tool in question a weapon, because that is its purpose.  Designed to extend my life expectancy by removing a threat.

But why stop at guns?  Let's move on to knives and other blades.  A much older form of killing someone else.  Some blades are designed solely as weapons to take a life - swords for example.  Millions of swords were used to take lives over the years - but that fact alone in no way means that the utility knife strapped by my belt was meant for the same purpose.  The slingblade I have in the garage for clearing brush would be devastating if used against a person - but it's not.  It's a lawn care tool.

And let's not even get started on all the cheapo display swords/etc you get from BudK or whever, whose sole intended purpose is to be hung up on a wall or worn as shitty cosplay.

Hell, let's get into vehicles.  When attached to the 101st, there was a cav unit with us that had a rather nasty variation of the Stryker vehicle - called a 'street sweeper', it had attachments on the front to mow through crowds.  This was a vehicle designed to shred pedestrians without firing a shot while moving down a street.  But hey.. it has wheels and a combustion engine, right?  Oh snaps, I guess that means my SUV is also a murder machine.

Do you see how utterly ridiculous that train of thought is?  YES, there are firearms that were designed solely to kill others.  There are many, many more designed for non-homicidal use, such as hunting and sport shooting.  At the end of a day, a tool is a tool.  How it's used is what matters.  And quite honestly - given your outlook, I would never trust you with a firearm to begin with if the only possible use you can see for them is to take a person's life.

serverian

Verified Provider
You damn well know that I meant guns that actually shoot bullets when I said guns. Hence, the gun on the first post is one of them.

I don't see Curtis and Chris collecting flare guns or starting pistols.

I don't see American citizens keeping a target practice gun at home for self protection.

I don't see American founding fathers mean those when they have written the second amendment.

I did exactly what I didn't want to in the beginning and discussed guns with an American. Silly me.

I'll leave this here and leave the thread so you gun enthusiasts can talk freely about how sweet they are.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/guns-injure-7-000-u-s-kids-yearly-study-article-1.1592703

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I did exactly what I didn't want to in the beginning and discussed guns with an American. Silly me.
Oops, and there go your presumptions biting you in the ass again.  Я русский :3

Nice of you to completely ignore all of the other points, such as firearms designed for sporting competitions or hunting.  But like I said before - you were never actually interested in comparing opinions - only proclaiming yours to be the supreme truth.  *hattip*

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I'll leave this here and leave the thread so you gun enthusiasts can talk freely about how sweet they are.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/guns-injure-7-000-u-s-kids-yearly-study-article-1.1592703
Oh, just for shits and giggles, here's a statistic for you, too:

SOURCE: In the United States during 2011, more than 650 children ages 12 years and younger died as occupants in motor vehicle crashes,5 and more than 148,000 were injured.1

7k injuries from firearms.  148k injuries from vehicles.  Yup, those darn guns are surely the priority to focus on :rolleyes:

Well, since it's obvious that cars aren't going to be labelled murder machines any time soon, why don't we just skip right to the part where people and careless usage are the problem, not the particular tool in question.

drserver

Verified Provider
Topic is weapons and linux ? Can't get better than that, I like Colt 1911 and Centos 7

amuck-landowner