amuck-landowner

Adminer

H_Heisenberg

Hola,

Do we have Adminer users here? It was formerly known was phpminadmin (not phpmyAdmin). It's written fully in PHP, only around 300 KB big and has all the features to manage databases. It has theme and plugins support. Supported DBS: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MS SQL & Oracle.

Compared to this phpMyAdmin is awefully bloated and full of stuff you might never really need.

http://www.adminer.org/

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Looks pretty neat, actually. I've never used it, have heard of it, but have yet to use it. I may install it locally and give it tinker.

You find it just as easy to use/navigate as PhpMyAdmin?

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Interesting, I'll have to give this a go next time I need to do some database work :)

I normally just keep a phpmyadmin instance up somewhere with no config files and I just generate it as I need it. Of course with the general directory security, IP address whitelisting and random directory name.

Sunshine

That does indeed look very nice. I like that it is just 1 single file.

I'll have to give this one a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I've been using SQLBuddy as a quick phpMyAdmin replacement for some sites. I know it doesn't get updated but it works really nicely for my needs and I don't make it publicly accessible so I'm not worried about security for it.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I use it on some of my servers, I like it because it's so easy to movin in/out of a web accessible directory when you need it.

Sunshine

I've been using SQLBuddy as a quick phpMyAdmin replacement for some sites. I know it doesn't get updated but it works really nicely for my needs and I don't make it publicly accessible so I'm not worried about security for it.
Even if it's not publicly accessible, you still need watch out for CSRF (unless you're running nothing else in the same browser at the same time, and you make sure to log out before visiting other sites) and XSS attacks due to insufficient escaping of data displayed to the browser (unless the database doesn't contain any user supplied data).

But I probably don't have to tell you that :)

And, realistically speaking, probably not much of an issue in your case anyway. I'm just nitpicking.

vanarp

I heard good things about SQLBuddy. How does it work with current MySQL/PHP versions?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
That's really slick!

Personally I use navicat for now but if I ever need a web based one i'll use this.

phpmyadmin is nice and all but I agree, it's quite heavy.

Francisco

Reactions: zim

perennate

Verified Provider
At some point in the past I used phpmyadmin, but mysql in terminal looks so much nicer, not to mention is easier to use (why do I need a mouse to run a SELECT query ???).

I can't figure out postgres though, at all...

bizzard

This one looks good and easy to handle. May be I'll give it a try for the next project.

I have been using phpmyadmin for years, as I got familiar with it during my CPanel shared hosting days. Since webmin/virtualmin has an automated installer for phpmyadmin, still using it in our development/testing servers.

Dylan

Adminer is pretty awesome. It's not as full-featured as phpMyAdmin and the UI isn't quite as slick but considering "installation" is literally just dropping a single php file in it's hard to really complain. Plus you don't have to worry about securing the installation with temporary symlinks or passworded directories... you can just delete the file when you're done with it.

There's a demo here in case anyone misses the link on the adminer website: http://adminer.sourceforge.net/adminer.php?username=

Novacha

Content Contributer
That's really slick!

Personally I use navicat for now but if I ever need a web based one i'll use this.

phpmyadmin is nice and all but I agree, it's quite heavy.

Francisco
I bought navicat for it's insanely expensive price, and it wasn't nearly as good as some of the open source alternatives. I use Sequel Pro (Free and Open Source) nearly every day now, and only use navicat for sqlite.

wlanboy

Content Contributer

sv01

Slow but sure
Love adminer :) use that tools for maintenance database for few month now. Simple and just work

H_Heisenberg

Looks pretty neat, actually. I've never used it, have heard of it, but have yet to use it. I may install it locally and give it tinker.

You find it just as easy to use/navigate as PhpMyAdmin?
Yeah!

It's quite easy to navigate. Not much different than phpMyAdmin, even easier at some points.

Thanks for all your replies guys :).

amuck-landowner