amuck-landowner

Any VPS hosts that do not use Solus?

Otakumatic

I know I should Google but I'm lazy.

I'm looking for a VPS host that doesn't use SolusVM, just to stay safe for now. I'm looking for:

30 to 50GB HDD

1 to 2GB RAM

1 to 2TB bandwidth

US location (anywhere on the east coast, Atlanta or Chicago preferred)

Around $7/mo

I understand anything could happen, but I don't want to touch SolusVM with a 10-foot-pole right now. Anyone?

wdq

Quade
BuyVM, Backupsy, and 24kHost are three that I can name off of the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. 

SkylarM

Verified Provider
I understand anything could happen, but I don't want to touch SolusVM with a 10-foot-pole right now. Anyone?
What about integrated into the billing portal via API and locking down/disabling access to the solus front end? We're eyeballing alternatives but for now I feel that is the most secure method.

Hassan

Verified Provider
I know I should Google but I'm lazy.

I'm looking for a VPS host that doesn't use SolusVM, just to stay safe for now. I'm looking for:

30 to 50GB HDD

1 to 2GB RAM

1 to 2TB bandwidth

US location (anywhere on the east coast, Atlanta or Chicago preferred)

Around $7/mo

I know http://anynode.net has their own panel, and their nodes are in Chicago. The only issue you might have with them is their bandwidth but I'm sure they'll let you upgrade.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
I am sorry to say this but Virtualizor is also just a little disaster waiting to happen. IMHO it's worse than SolusVM when it comes to security, it's just that no one has considered investing their time and energy into finding exploitable vulnerabilities in Virtualizor.

Last edited by a moderator:

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider
I am sorry to say this but Virtualizor is also just a little disaster waiting to happen. IMHO it's worse than SolusVM when it comes to security, it's just that no one has considered investing their time and energy into finding exploitable vulnerabilities in Virtualizor.
If it was more widely used people would.

Zach

Verified Provider
May be true.  But at this point, I'm just glad I didn't decide to stick with SolusVM.  And hopefully Softaculous will learn from SolusLabs' mistakes (as well as other panels).

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
May be true. But at this point, I'm just glad I didn't decide to stick with SolusVM. And hopefully Softaculous will learn from SolusLabs' mistakes (as well as other panels).
@Zach for as long as these companies keep their source closed and encoded we won't know for sure. One thing that I have done was not to leave SolusVM to its' defaults, but secure it with my own version of Nginx and PHP compiled from source. Also running everything as non privileged users. You can get the packages from here if you want to try them on Virtualizor: http://repo.phoenixrpm.com - Nginx has the latest OpenSSL compiled in with all the strong ciphers enabled (not that it really matters for a possible SQL injection).

Zach

Verified Provider
@Zach for as long as these companies keep their source closed and encoded we won't know for sure. One thing that I have done was not to leave SolusVM to its' defaults, but secure it with my own version of Nginx and PHP compiled from source. Also running everything as non privileged users. You can get the packages from here if you want to try them on Virtualizor: http://repo.phoenixrpm.com - Nginx has the latest OpenSSL compiled in with all the strong ciphers enabled (not that it really matters for a possible SQL injection).
Thanks, I appreciate it.  Though it does look like Virtualizor has made some progress recently.  

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Thanks, I appreciate it. Though it does look like Virtualizor has made some progress recently.
We are working on launching a second budget KVM hosting business that my brother will manage and we might just use Virtualizor for that one. Thanks for showing that link :)

Zach

Verified Provider
We are working on launching a second budget KVM hosting business that my brother will manage and we might just use Virtualizor for that one. Thanks for showing that link :)
No problem, it's good to see that Virtualizor is having reputable companies in the industry audit their panel.

kunnu

Verified Provider
BurstNET Linux VPS use diffrent control panel and for windows vps they use Solus.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This post is more like it.

Now what panel you use should be a mandatory posting pre-sale piece of info in your ads :)

Leyton

Verified Provider
We're currently working on a solution for billing, VPS's, and a Dedicated Server module custom built for another provider. It's a 2-man project at the moment which has been being developed in our spare time (and with the possibility of the other provider converting after completion).

In the face of the issues of late, I suppose I could step up the amount of time we dedicate to the project, and GitHub it down the road; if any of you folks are interested? We've been taking our time mostly because of the careful craft being put in to keep the code as secure as possible as we develop it.

amuck-landowner