amuck-landowner

Anyone else use IRCCloud?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've been using IRCCloud now for a few months, curious if anyone else here uses it and/or wants an invite.

It's a browser-based IRC client, that also keeps you logged in even when you're away and keeps an ongoing log of conversation when you're not there. Started using it initially for keyword alerts, as it'll notify you of mentions of whatever you want (good for knowing when people are talking about your company, you, or anything else of your interest). I'm still new to the IRC scene, so unsure if there are desktop based alternatives or anything, but thought it was neat and worth sharing.

If you want an invite, just say-so in here and I'll hit you up. Only got 3 to give out. I don't get anything (That I know of) for inviting people so it's not a referral thing. Just figured I'd share something I find useful.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I just set up ZNC on one of my many VPSes, and use HexChat on my computers. Works quite nicely.

Sunshine

ZNC and HexChat (based on XChat) is also what I'm using.

ZNC is a bouncer. Keeps a constant connection to the IRC server and takes care of offline logging of chat messages. Then when you reconnect with your client, it "replays" the messages that was received while you were disconnected.

Works quite well indeed.

Never seen a web-based service that does something similar, so this (IRCCloud) is rather interesting.

Nice for people who don't want to mess with setting up a bouncer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
I would appreciate an invite also - I've been trying out different IRC client setups recently

matt[scrdspd]

SecuredSpeed
Verified Provider
If anyone happens to have a left over invite, let me know (PM me). Curious to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
IRCCloud is pretty nice, the guy who runs it (RJ) used to run last.fm, and is an overall pretty cool guy to work with.

IRCCloud is also working, as far as I know, to implement IRCv3 specifications, so... that is pretty good too.

Echelon

Verified Provider
The premise behind IRCCloud is nifty, however I've always preferred to control the infrastructure behind my IRC communications at least (i.e. SSH tunnel). Furthermore, the behavior of a few users could easily trigger some sitebans from uneducated administrators. It'll have growing pains for sure, but I also see said growing pains becoming monetization opportunities.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I invited those who I could. I only had 3 requests so after those replenish I can invite more.

amuck-landowner