amuck-landowner

Anyone need free billing? :)

blergh

Verified Provider
If no responsibility is going to be taken on your behalf due to it being free, why not just release it so that we may host it ourselves? This would make far more sense as the only ones to blame would be ourselves instead of having to reply on a third party that doesn't give two shits about it.

jhadley

Verified Provider
@Aldryic - I'm actually much more developer than marketer (although I'm not the main developer at Loading Deck) however I'm used to explaining in terms that most people can understand. You're absolutely right that there are no solid guarantees at this early stage. Solid guarantees of security are rare and often broken anyway. I'll make sure that the research will begin by looking at the liability issues and finding a clear path through them.

If no responsibility is going to be taken on your behalf due to it being free, why not just release it so that we may host it ourselves? This would make far more sense as the only ones to blame would be ourselves instead of having to reply on a third party that doesn't give two shits about it.
I find this a little offensive. I do care about the software and its users, and I am actively maintaining it despite 'opening it up'. The reason that's possible is (once again) because research is being done. For this research to work, I need to maintain full control over the system. There are also a number of other advantages of SaaS over self-hosted for me including a lower support load.

TL;DR I'm getting something out of this in a different way.

There will however be parts that are open-sourced in the near future, but open source isn't the aim here. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I would wish you the best of luck.. but given that multiple times now you've completely ignored what I actually said and only answered what you wanted to hear, I would rather wish the poor folks trusting you and using an ill thought out platform luck - they'll need it.

Word of parting advice - work on your honesty.  Attempting to deflect direct, specific inquiries with marketing jargon you don't fully understand has done little more than alienate you to everyone here that actually knows what they're doing when it comes to security and implementation.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Is this free for a limited? It was called something before billr and tried to be sold on code canyon or somewhere too. Didn't sell I guess? How do we trust this will be around?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
*cough*

http://i.imgur.com/9AoeKHh.png

It's no longer available on Code Canyon.

In his defense though, he did state that Code Canyon was taking 50% of the sales and that's why it was pulled (not sure though)

Last edited by a moderator:

Echelon

Verified Provider
@Aldryic - I'm actually much more developer than marketer (although I'm not the main developer at Loading Deck) however I'm used to explaining in terms that most people can understand. You're absolutely right that there are no solid guarantees at this early stage. Solid guarantees of security are rare and often broken anyway. I'll make sure that the research will begin by looking at the liability issues and finding a clear path through them.

I find this a little offensive. I do care about the software and its users, and I am actively maintaining it despite 'opening it up'. The reason that's possible is (once again) because research is being done. For this research to work, I need to maintain full control over the system. There are also a number of other advantages of SaaS over self-hosted for me including a lower support load.

TL;DR I'm getting something out of this in a different way.

There will however be parts that are open-sourced in the near future, but open source isn't the aim here. 
My concern here is for those who decide to go the route of using your service for billing. What pricing would one expect to be presented with in October of 2014 when you plan to remove the service being offered for free?

jhadley

Verified Provider
My concern here is for those who decide to go the route of using your service for billing. What pricing would one expect to be presented with in October of 2014 when you plan to remove the service being offered for free?
Sorry for the delay. At the moment I'm expecting to go down the freemium route so as no to leave free clients behind. There will likely be a few extras that will cost money, like SSL on your own domain and PCI gateways via Spreedly.

amuck-landowner