amuck-landowner

Anyone wanna hire a disabled vet or have a internship?

Damian

Verified Provider
Indeed, we're unable to accept unpaid help. It won't be much, but it'll be more than zero.

BlueVM

Verified Provider
@SgtZinn - We might be able to offer you some part time work. I currently am in the US Navy, so I understand what you've gone through better than a lot of people out there...

Shoot me an email with any experience you have, what skills you possess and when you're available for work (admin[at]bluevm.com) - The pay may not be fantastic, but we have a good community and loads of support tickets XD

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Why you have to use the word "Disable"? Don't try to get a job out of peoples sympathy. Please.

Why would I? If I have to hire, even if it is free or paid, anyone who tries to use words "Disable", "Old", "Single mother" etc on their Job application, it goes straight to my shredder. Sorry if I came across rude. I appreciate those who have served our country but you should focus on skill rather than sympathy.
... whatever shred of respect I had for you is gone.  Are you really so naive that you would immediately disqualify someone being honest about potential limitations?

Let me paint a hypothetical scenario for you.  I run an office with two IT positions available.  One is purely desk work, the other involves a good deal of hardware hands on (which can include heavy lifting, carrying, etc).  I receive Zinn's application for the positions - and as I've noticed that he stated his disability, I explain the physical requirements of the hardware position and ask if that would still be within his capacity to perform.  Because he was honest from the start, we don't end up with a situation where I've just hired someone that may not be able to actually perform the job task at hand.  Same falls under 'Old'.  'Single Mom' tells you upfront that there will very likely be occasional situations where she would have to call in/come in late/etc to take care of her kids if nobody was available to do so for her.  

Yes, I realize this situation is pretty much all remote work.  So why say disabled?  At the very least, it stops the smartasses that would just pipe up with "go apply at X in your area, lol".  Speaking purely as an individual, you have just convinced me that based solely on your attitude I would not want to do business with you.

SgtZinn - from a fellow vet, hattip and welcome to VPSB.  We're full up on staff at BuyVM, but if you ever have questions I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge in my downtime.

Last edited by a moderator:

XFS_Brian

Verified Provider
Being a disabled vet means is not, by law, a reason to say that someone can't be hired. Trust me, I have come across a fair share of employers over the years that tired to day that I could not do the job that I was applying for cause I was deployed to Iraq and got hurt while I was there. Needless to say, I ended up with the job cause the law says they can not disqualify you because of that.

SGT Zinn, from one vet to another, thank you for your service. If you have any questions about anything, please let me know.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
I would like to say thank you for your service SgtZinn. You went and fought for my freedom and the freedom of my fellow brothers and sisters here in America. Our country is blessed to have people like you who are willing to serve with reckless abandon to the potential consequences when going to war.  God Bless you Brother. Honesty and Transparency is always the best policy ;)

Tactical

Where is the beer!
I would like to say thank you for your service SgtZinn. You went and fought for my freedom and the freedom of my fellow brothers and sisters here in America. Our country is blessed to have people like you who are willing to serve with reckless abandon to the potential consequences when going to war.  God Bless you Brother. Honesty and Transparency is always the best policy ;)
I appreciate your motivating words!

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
I currently am in the US Navy, so I understand what you've gone through better than a lot of people out there...
Thank you as well Justin for your service in the military :) We appreciate the service of everyone who serves our country. 

365Networks

I am actually quite shocked someone would say something so inconsiderate! I hope you find what you are looking for and thanks for your service as well!

Sajan P

Verified Provider
What's so shitty about this country is that when kids go into the forces out of high school, and don't get the college degree, it makes it harder for them to get jobs.  The insanity in this is that the skills (I imagine) you pick up while overseas should be more attractive to employers than a college degree.

Anyway, good luck to the vets in here.

@SeriesN - Seriously dude.

XFS_Brian

Verified Provider
What's so shitty about this country is that when kids go into the forces out of high school, and don't get the college degree, it makes it harder for them to get jobs.  The insanity in this is that the skills (I imagine) you pick up while overseas should be more attractive to employers than a college degree.

Anyway, good luck to the vets in here.

@SeriesN - Seriously dude.
You would think that but its not true. Unless you are a medic(or any medical field job), Military Police, or JAG (Military Lawyer), and some others. You can't find many jobs. Let me use my history in the Army for example.

I worked in Logistics thinking I could get a good warehouse job when I got out. I was wrong. They, employers, looked at me as if I was over qualified and would not hire me. Another example is we spent all the time that we can learning to drive all those big trucks but can't care that experience over. We have to still pay the $$ to get the schooling for a CDL and still pay to get the license. I can understand the paying for the license but for the schooling, come on now. I just spent 12 years driving a 2 1/2 ton truck or a 5 1/2 ton truck but I can't get a CDL to drive a dump truck unless I have been in some class.

Not to rant but this is some of the things that military people have to fight with.

Sajan P

Verified Provider
You would think that but its not true. Unless you are a medic(or any medical field job), Military Police, or JAG (Military Lawyer), and some others. You can't find many jobs. Let me use my history in the Army for example.

I worked in Logistics thinking I could get a good warehouse job when I got out. I was wrong. They, employers, looked at me as if I was over qualified and would not hire me. Another example is we spent all the time that we can learning to drive all those big trucks but can't care that experience over. We have to still pay the $$ to get the schooling for a CDL and still pay to get the license. I can understand the paying for the license but for the schooling, come on now. I just spent 12 years driving a 2 1/2 ton truck or a 5 1/2 ton truck but I can't get a CDL to drive a dump truck unless I have been in some class.

Not to rant but this is some of the things that military people have to fight with.
That was actually pretty much my point, ;).

Eased

Aw that was cute! You must think 9/11 was actually real then? Believe everything you see on TV? How many more sheeple do we have on the forums here?

And I agree with SeriesN on his comments. 

jarland

The ocean is digital
Looks like a good time to ask how to block disrespectful children. Some people can't help but make every thing that they do about hatred and nothing else.

Edit: There it is http://vpsboard.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=ignoredusers

@SgtZinn Thanks for your service. I don't need to explain all of my personal philosophies and preferences to show some respect. That second sentence was an insult to others, to be clear.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
I am actually quite shocked someone would say something so inconsiderate! I hope you find what you are looking for and thanks for your service as well!

Thank you as well Justin for your service in the military :) We appreciate the service of everyone who serves our country. 
See this is the thing I don't like when people finish something with "...and I'm a vet" - the weird soldier-hero worship culture of America that implies that soldiers always must be thanked for their service.

I can't think of a single large military action by the USA after WW2 that would constitute "thanking" soldiers for "defending our freedom" - most wars since have just been about extending/maintaining America's sphere of influence. In that sense, I don't support our troops at all.

On the other hand, as fellow Americans, civil servants, and human beings, I am more than willing to support them by advocating for their benefits/healthcare/education and for helping them integrate back into society as civilians, even if it means raising my taxes.

I really wish everyone who writes or says some trite "I support our troops" statement would instead write to their senators and tell them to stop cutting veterans benefits, and maybe stop spending billions sending Americans off to kill foreigners and then making up for the budget shortfalls by slashing the fuck out of benefits for vets. Better yet, go volunteer at the VA or stop treating prospective employees who are vets like broken, shellshocked liabilities after telling them 'thanks for your service!'.

I'd bet most vets would prefer a smoother transfer into civilian life than whatever meaningless thing you can think of saying to them.

amuck-landowner