amuck-landowner

Are 24khost Servers Down?

Damian

Verified Provider
You could provide out of band means for communication - like a phone number, twitter for announcements, externally hosted blog, etc.
We do this, though then we get bitching that they couldn't find our twitter twat or whatever it's called. Because, like every other company on the planet, ours follows the naming convention of twitter.com/<companyname>.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
You'd really put your client data on an easy-to-subvert VM?
This exactly.  I know a few companies are running at least their Solus masters, if not their billing platforms, on our nodes; and I'm honoured that they trust us this much.  But realistically - we've spent a long time building that reputation of trust (to the point that we still have some clients that bitch when we ask for permission to fix things rather than dive right into their VMs).. how many providers can you name that you would trust with such sensitive information?  Hell, that's why our stuff is in-house - sure we use our DoS filtering on our own stuff, but primarily because we absolutely refuse to let client info leave our hands.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'll vouch for 24khost, good company.  Services perform better than many competing offers.  Fairly good networks.

Being fair about things, the weak point like most low end style companies is the support.  It can be random and even slow.  Obviously someone is working around their life and sleep 

An outage like this should have been caught by proper monitoring software and notifications to the owners phone(s).

Alto

Being fair about things, the weak point like most low end style companies is the support.  It can be random and even slow.  Obviously someone is working around their life and sleep 
I think 24Khost outsource all support. Fairly sure the owner isn't particularly technical, so he's reliant on contractors or the DC's for support.

Zach

Verified Provider
I think 24Khost outsource all support. Fairly sure the owner isn't particularly technical, so he's reliant on contractors or the DC's for support.
He has actually admitted to not being "technically" inclined, so I'm sure he won't argue with that.  I am fairly certain that he rely's on Devon from Cloud3k/RockMyWeb for everything "techical".  It's also probably not Colostore providing the support, though they are extremely hard workers and a bunch of great people.  Every time I'm at the DC they always give me a hand with whatever I need.  I even had the owner/President reply to my tickets personal just recently.

Damian

Verified Provider
I swear that the title of this thread was "Are Cloud3k servers down" earlier today... am I goofy on the junk?

Slownode

I find it ironic how 24k is half-dead but I've had better uptime with them than most of the hosts I use.

Although it's getting ridiculous how long it's been comatose; hand-over, or partner, or get back in the game. I know lots of people who could run the show.

Last edited by a moderator:

libro22

24K support and billing do not respond to my tickets since Aug. 25. Although I'm happy that my backup servers are still online, I think I need to move away now. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Are folks with 24khost still down?  Support and other stuff including tickets still unresponsive?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
BTW: I looked up the phone number for 24khost from their domain info.

Seems to be some random personal answering machine.  No name or anything, certainly doesn't sound like a business phone.

I also submitted a ticket through their website. 

JDiggity

Okay about tickets.  Yes I have been slow.  Lots of life stuff happening.  Between server failures, disk failures, network issues.  I have been having a ball.  Don't think I have deserted.  Just trying to get everything fixed up.  I will hopefully in the next 2 months have everything back to normal.  Don't run away.  We are not.  I will hopefully get all tickets answered this afternoon.

libro22

Oh great you're here! :) i hope you can resolve support tickets soon, i am missing some few disk space which I urgently need.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@24khost, good to see you are alive and kicking.   Hope you are well and everything gets back to normal soon.

Zach

Verified Provider
If you're having trouble making time for 24k, why not make someone manager? Zach know the basics, get him to help you. lol
Thanks, I think he does have a manager though.  Just figured I'd offer a hand if he needed me to do anything while I'm there.

amuck-landowner