amuck-landowner

ARIN Phase III has started

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
Officially crossed the threshold of 2 /8's being left.

Announcement Below

ARIN now has 2 /8s of available space in its inventory and has moved into Phase Three of its IPv4 Countdown Plan.

This phase was designated to allow for process refinements identified during Phase Two.  Based on successful operational experience, ARIN will continue to adhere to the same procedures during Phase Three.

1. All /16 and larger IPv4 requests will be placed in the IPv4 Review Team queue, and will be reviewed in the order they were received according to their timestamp. Because each correspondence will be processed in sequence, it is possible that response times may exceed the usual two-day turnaround.

2. Once a request is approved, the requestor will have 60 days to complete payment and return a signed RSA (if applicable). If payment and signed RSA have not been received by the 61st day, the ticket will automatically close, the address space will be released back into the available IPv4 pool, and a new request will need to be submitted.

NOTE: This change to the approval window from 90 days to 60 days will apply to all IPv4 requests, but not to IPv6 and ASN requests.

3. The hold time for all returned, reclaimed and revoked IPv4 resources will be three months.

We encourage you to visit the IPv4 Countdown Phase Three page at:

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/countdown_phase3.html

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Doesn't REALLY change much, but interesting nonetheless. Wonder when they will decide increasing prices is a smart idea.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
They just lowered their prices July 1st, I don't expect to see a price increase in the near future. I also think ARIN prices are quite a bit higher than other RIRs.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Doesn't REALLY change much, but interesting nonetheless. Wonder when they will decide increasing prices is a smart idea.
It just means the companies that are IP whoring (there's at least 2 - 3 on here) will request /17's instead of /16's.

It might mean that some providers will have to tighten their belts since it's likely that this last /8 will chew through very quickly.

APNIC chewed through their last /8 in a few months. Same with RIPE.

Francisco

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Did they chew through it because providers went crazy trying to fill IPs and request more blocks? I'd expect that to happen more often now.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Did they chew through it because providers went crazy trying to fill IPs and request more blocks? I'd expect that to happen more often now.
Right.

Phase 4 rules state that the max anyone can get is a single /22, so people stocked up as much as possible prior to that.

Francisco

coreyman

Verified Provider
Right.

Phase 4 rules state that the max anyone can get is a single /22, so people stocked up as much as possible prior to that.

Francisco
So basically if you don't get in before phase 4 you might get stuck having your upstream providers ip addresses.

Slownode

I like how there's so many ipv4's not even being used, why can't there be a rule of "use it or lose it".

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I like how there's so many ipv4's not even being used, why can't there be a rule of "use it or lose it".
Most of that 'unused' stuff is from pre ARIN days so they have no rule over them.

Hoarding goes on like I said but ARIN can't prove it w/o proof.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So basically if you don't get in before phase 4 you might get stuck having your upstream providers ip addresses.
Pretty well.

I don't see the big VPS node providers changing prices at all for now. Once phase 4 hits it'll be a different story

Francisco

Slownode

Most of that 'unused' stuff is from pre ARIN days so they have no rule over them.

Hoarding goes on like I said but ARIN can't prove it w/o proof.

Francisco
Many IPs are used for internal networks, and many others are simply not used.

They should be sold and routed accordingly, treat the legacy hoarders as 10ers.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Many IPs are used for internal networks, and many others are simply not used.

They should be sold and routed accordingly, treat the legacy hoarders as 10ers.
legacy's didn't get their IP space from ARIN though so ARIN has no say.

Legacy people got their space right from IANA.

Francisco

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
That's interesting that last IP request took so long I had to use some of my cogent blocks that were idle and was expecting to have to hand back to Cogent and I was not asked to do it.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Prove it without proof? What's that supposed to mean?
It's confusing, damn frangrish.

What I mean is that ARIN knows that there is ISP's hoarding and have a really good feeling who those ISP's are. The problem is they don't have enough proof to deny them. ARIN is very much by the book so if they don't have 100% proof they can't act on gut feeling.

They don't have many people coming forward saying "Yes, ISP xyz asked me to forge forms for them", MAC address lists (some DC's are sloppy and don't have any sort of VLAN's going so it's VERY easy to scan), etc. Some ISP's bind off very large amounts of IP space to a single server to make the ip's look alive in the off chance ARIN scans that.

What's funny is when that happens there's always ways to see if that's the case. I won't say how since, well, there's multiple companies on here hoarding IP's :)

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I was told by a company that they are handing out IP's for cheap just so they could get another allocation. Between here and LET/LEB the IP's are being handed out like candy.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I was told by a company that they are handing out IP's for cheap just so they could get another allocation. Between here and LET/LEB the IP's are being handed out like candy.
Well duh, haha.

• 3 CPU Cores
  • 2048MB RAM
  • 2536MB Burst
  • 110GB Diskspace
  • 3000GB Bandwidth
  • 100Mbit Port Speed
  • 6 IPv4 Addresses
  • 8 IPv6 Addresses
  • OpenVZ/SolusVM
  • $6.99/Month

That smells so bad.